Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Constant delays on AY5 HEL-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AY LUMO (500K+), Marriott Abassador, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Diamond
Pardon my French
but where could i see that kind of info in one screen
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat / QR Silver
Originally Posted by florens
Surely one would think it would make sense to add 20 minutes or so in the schedule for deicing and whatnot (winter only, then), but then there is a lot of factors that play a role like slots, aircraft planning etc, so it might not be as easy as this.
Yeah, one really would think so! Habitual delays of 30-60 minutes surely results in numerous missed connections and a tremendous inconvenience to Finnair's passengers. For a carrier that's prided itself on punctuality, it's a mystery to me why there's seemingly nothing that they can or will do about this situation.

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
And yes, those were the exact words I used in my claim "It was an operational decision made by Finnair".
How do you go about verifying the real reason for the flight delay to make your case to Finnair? What's stopping them from simply claiming "ATC traffic" on a case like this?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Finnair plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
All AY5 real flight times since 28DEC18 are 8:30 or more. So it must be weather or ATC

Between 01DEC-27DEC18 7:56-9:22 Source: Flightradar.
polar vortex?
*UPDATE* on the splitting Polar Vortex and winter trends across the European continent through mid January ? Severe Weather Europe
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Head wind jetstreams have been quite strong lately

https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...obaric/250hPa/
SPBanker likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by temppa
Head wind jetstreams have been quite strong lately
https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...obaric/250hPa/
Interesting hypothesis! Just to play devil's advocate, wouldn't particularly strong headwinds on the jetstream necessarily result in comparable delays on the ARN-NYC route operated by Finnair's competitors? I checked the on-time history of SK903 and DY7005 and I'm not seeing any sorts of comparable delays. SK903 is usually either on-time or a maximum of 15 minutes delayed, and DY7005's recent record is even better than that. How's it possible that winds would be messing up Finnair's schedules but not those of SK and DY?

Also, check out a AY5 on January 5th, for example. Here are the wind conditions that day (https://i.imgur.com/pxXeSuF.jpg) and here is the route that AY5 took that day (https://i.imgur.com/wFU0uIx.jpg). There were no appreciable headwinds that day, and the routing took the plane around most of the strongest crosswinds, too. Distance flown wasn't anything longer than ordinary, either. The plane taxied at JFK for a mere 10 minutes and at HEL for just 12 minutes, but it was nonetheless late by 50 minutes...
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:36 am

It's always late!

AY5 today 12/01 departed HEL 3 hours late. Yesterday on 11th nearly an hour.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by steviebaby
AY5 today 12/01 departed HEL 3 hours late. Yesterday on 11th nearly an hour.
Today it had technical issue and yesterday left gate 10min late.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by gaggia
Also, check out a AY5 on January 5th, but it was nonetheless late by 50 minutes...
True, SK average for ARN-EWR is 8:14 Jan 5th they did exactly that. AY average for HEL-JFK is 8:22, but Jan 5th they made it 8:36. Obviously AY is runnig this route with lower cost index on their FMS. Maybe SK had done better job on their Jet A1 hedging
florens likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Today it had technical issue and yesterday left gate 10min late.
Yet the plane was still 40 minutes delayed after a gate departure delay of just 10 minutes...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Your cries have been answered. Just received an email from AY stating that my upcoming AY5 has been rescheduled. STD 12:30, STA 14:25 so flying time is now a whopping 8 hours 55 minutes. Up 20 minutes from the days of the MD-11.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
How do you go about verifying the real reason for the flight delay to make your case to Finnair? What's stopping them from simply claiming "ATC traffic" on a case like this?
Actually both the gate agents and later the captain onboard the flight confirmed in their announcements that "We're waiting for a number of passengers from our delayed Asian arrivals, hence the delay." TMI

'OPR
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
Your cries have been answered. Just received an email from AY stating that my upcoming AY5 has been rescheduled. STD 12:30, STA 14:25 so flying time is now a whopping 8 hours 55 minutes. Up 20 minutes from the days of the MD-11.
Interesting! The primary reason for the schedule change must be related to something else (like connections at JFK or the schedules of inbound aircraft used on AY5) rather than these delays. After all, the increase in the scheduled flight time is just 10 minutes, which is much less than the average delay...

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Actually both the gate agents and later the captain onboard the flight confirmed in their announcements that "We're waiting for a number of passengers from our delayed Asian arrivals, hence the delay." TMI
I was on AY5 on Monday and lo and behold... the plane was more than an hour delayed getting into JFK. The stated reason was that we were waiting for transit passengers from Moscow. Of course, I missed my connection at JFK and wound up getting to my final destination a whopping 4.5 hours late.

The cabin attendants confirmed that AY5 is pretty much delayed all the time. It's a farce and it's beyond me that the airline can't put a stop to these perpetual delays.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:08 pm

The cabin attendants confirmed that AY5 is pretty much delayed all the time. It's a farce and it's beyond me that the airline can't put a stop to these perpetual delays.
that's why I dare to book xxx-jfk-hel with 50min connection, since ay6 will be delayed anyhow
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
AY operates an interesting miniwave around AY5/6. As soon as AY6 lands, planes take off to Russia, the Baltics, Poland and the Nordic countries. Of these. SVO and WAW might be the longest flights and SVO the biggest airport. These planes bring pax home and pick up new ones headed for JFK, and are in quite a hurry to reach HEL in time. It is not difficult to believe that winter weather both at HEL and the outstations cause delays that in themselves are minor (deicing queue etc), but they add up and lead to AY5 being late.

It's difficult to say how much this has to do with the US shutdown and how much with winter weather in general. AY5 has also been known to leave pax behind, even when the delays are smallish. Maybe it depends on the number of transfer pax aboard these flights.

However, when the schedule changes, the transfer problem will go away. AY5/6 will not rely on single plane connections after the schedule change.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by reflektia
that's why I dare to book xxx-jfk-hel with 50min connection, since ay6 will be delayed anyhow
This!
Just booked to SFO transit in LHR. JFK is unpredictable, especially with the immigration in between.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.