Wiki Posts
Search

New Finnair website

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
New Finnair website

Seems they are testing a new design in the US: https://www.finnair.com/us-en!
As it's still in development many links lead to the old website, but many pages in new design are up already and I must say it looks pretty smooth!

Edit: Seems you can test the design in your local language by changing / to - in the URL.
Example: https://www.finnair.com/de/de/ becomes https://www.finnair.com/de-de/

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:25 pm

Seems that Finnair is following the trend to make websites less useful by requiring excessive use of clicking and scrolling...
Superrman, intuition and cistavoda like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Looks like a site more suited for mobile. However, I would imagine that the vast majority of ticket purchases are done on desktop, and if on a mobile device to begin with, through the Finnair app?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Seems quicker and more stable.
But when you thought it was impossible, they found ways to dumb it down. No multiday search, no alterations fo search parameters once you launched first search.

And of course a design based on touch driven interface sucks on desktop.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: QR Gold AY Plat
Originally Posted by Some person
Seems that Finnair is following the trend to make websites less useful by requiring excessive use of clicking and scrolling...
Looks familiar, the Finnair app is based on this design.
The design is responsive - if you resize the browser window, the elements will adjust to the smaller screen.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:14 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by flymetoHEL
Looks familiar, the Finnair app is based on this design.
The design is responsive - if you resize the browser window, the elements will adjust to the smaller screen.
... and that is a terrible thing. Regardless of how large screen you have, it will always scale so you can't see everything without scrolling. The flight-selection buttons are 800x250px on my screen....
Superrman likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:10 pm

It does not allow other OneWorld membership numbers to be entered. Means they charge me for seats and if I check in online I cannot use my benefits such as speedy boarding

i asked Finnair but after three days they have not responded
Old May 18, 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Darren2000
It does not allow other OneWorld membership numbers to be entered. Means they charge me for seats and if I check in online I cannot use my benefits such as speedy boarding
The old website is still used on at least the Finnish and Swedish websites.

Finland, Finnish: https://www.finnair.com/fi/fi
Finland, Swedish: https://www.finnair.com/fi/se
Finland, English: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb

Sweden, Swedish: https://www.finnair.com/se/se
Sweden, English: https://www.finnair.com/se/gb

If something doesn't work on the new site, then simply use the old site through a market which still uses the old site.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:37 pm

Thanks. This is very useful!
Old May 19, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
BA comes up with a design wich is pretty similar, maybe it is a OW move.For sure they want to give you the look and feel of the app. I hope they keep the old version alive somehow.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by Ed Size
BA comes up with a design wich is pretty similar, maybe it is a OW move.For sure they want to give you the look and feel of the app. I hope they keep the old version alive somehow.
BA's design is also responsive, but I unfortunately can't see too many similarities. I doubt that these two websites were made by the same team.
The BA website actually works, it has a much narrower max-width and a so much better design.

The Finnair design is lost on ratios and basics. More importantly, the BA site works with all features you would expect, like a booking matrix for instance. This feature, that does exist on every airticketing website since a decade, but was too hard for the new team that Finnair chose.

I really don't know if I will stick around once the finnair.fi website follows the rest of the countries back to the Nineties! The website wasn't even ready for an alpha test, now it's launched already in almost all markets. I've been absolute happy with Finnair since quite some time, the premium lounge thing is a bummer, but the "new" website is a page turner.
intuition and EuroFlash like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by FlyeBye
[...]

The BA website actually works,[...]
There are *a lot of* bugs and glitches on the BA website and some very basic functions do not work.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by florens
There are *a lot of* bugs and glitches on the BA website and some very basic functions do not work.
It sure has its glitches, but have you compared it to the Finnair relaunch? These are worlds apart imho.
esledo likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The AY site is idiotic. First it takes me to the old layout. Then after a while it probably crashes/404/etc. If I then click "go back" or "home" (whichever it is) it takes me to the new layout. If I didn't know better, I'd think either of them is a spoof site, so different they look. Of course the bugginess and slowness is a clue, that this is the real deal, AY site.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

As noted in another thread - didn't some FT'ers participate in a feedback group for this new site design?
If so it would be interesting to hear what feedback was given and/or what has changed since that beta was tested on you.

At the "new seats" meeting (august 17?) I recall web design being discussed and some of AY's staff/consultants being very interested in FT'er input while some more hesitant. It would seem the latter crowd won, and usability is tuned for the one-time buyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.