Widebodies on non-longhaul flights

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 2, 22, 12:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ffay005
Wiki Link
The following AY short and middle haul flights are currently operated by widebodies:
AY1331/1332 HEL-LHR-HEL, A359, D
AY1337/1338 HEL-LHR-HEL, A333, D

AY1301/1302 HEL-AMS-HEL, A359, D

AY1411/1412 HEL-FRA-HEL, A359, 6 (until 29OCT22)

AY1963/1964 HEL-DXB-HEL, A330, 135 (during winter 22-23)

As a rule, service will be the usual AY shorthaul concept both in Y and J, with the exception of IFE (available free of charge to all, with cheap in-ear headphones provided in J and Y) and internet (longhaul rules apply, ie Plats get free wifi for the duration of the flight, Golds and J get one hour). Y+ seats are sold as extra legroom seats with no special service, but cannot be chosen free of charge unless you're Plat or Lumo.

DXB is an exception, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finn...dubai-dxb.html for details.

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 20, 19, 1:00 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Posts: 99
Anybody with visibility into the aircraft that AY1341 will be flown with on Thu Apr 25? App says A321 but the app also keeps sending me reminders to upgrade to Economy Comfort. I don’t know what that would mean on an A321.
_ra_ is offline  
Old Apr 20, 19, 1:05 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Helsinki-Vantaa APT, Finland
Programs: AY GUEST
Posts: 5,413
Originally Posted by _ra_ View Post
AY1341 will be flown with on Thu Apr 25?
32B

Upgrade yourself and report us which rows are Comfort on 32B.
OH-LGG is online now  
Old Apr 20, 19, 1:23 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: AY, SK, TK
Posts: 6,631
Originally Posted by _ra_ View Post
Anybody with visibility into the aircraft that AY1341 will be flown with on Thu Apr 25? App says A321 but the app also keeps sending me reminders to upgrade to Economy Comfort. I don’t know what that would mean on an A321.
it is a glitch.
I am also having a number or narrowbodies coming up and getting pinged by ”your flight has economy comfort available” every day. Hilarious.
FFlash is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:54 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BRU/HEL
Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Posts: 473
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post


it is a glitch.
I am also having a number or narrowbodies coming up and getting pinged by ”your flight has economy comfort available” every day. Hilarious.
Yes, a funny glitch indeed. Just had an itinerary that involved a Tarom flight and the app tried to offer me an economy comfort seat on a Tarom 737...
LoungeEnthusiast is offline  
Old Apr 22, 19, 10:46 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki
Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Posts: 1,205
I got the economy comfort message on an upcoming embraer flight, that is upgraded to business.
ffay005 likes this.
niksal is offline  
Old Jul 15, 19, 3:49 pm
  #36  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Posts: 7,158
Originally Posted by EuroFlash View Post
My flight AY1301 from HEL to AMS changed from A321 to A330 on 13th of May. Is this just a one-off?
I'm considering using my Silja Club One points for a flight to AMS (actually visiting Antwerp, which seems to be only an hour away from Schipol by train). I guess there are no upcoming widebody flights that we know of? Would love to pick one if possible.
ffay005 is online now  
Old Jul 16, 19, 6:45 am
  #37  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Posts: 7,158
The Points Guy website has interviewed AY COO Jaakko Schildt, who confirms that cargo is the main reason AY operates widebodies to LHR: "We can definitely see the efficiency in our bottom-line figures, which is great for both the environment and for business,” Finnair’s COO Jaakko Schildt told TPG. “It also benefits us with new cargo potential — hence why we fly the aircraft between London and Helsinki, a big cargo route for us”.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/why-so...mestic-routes/
ffay005 is online now  
Old Jul 16, 19, 8:03 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,845
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
I'm considering using my Silja Club One points for a flight to AMS (actually visiting Antwerp, which seems to be only an hour away from Schipol by train). I guess there are no upcoming widebody flights that we know of? Would love to pick one if possible.
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
The Points Guy website has interviewed AY COO Jaakko Schildt, who confirms that cargo is the main reason AY operates widebodies to LHR: "We can definitely see the efficiency in our bottom-line figures, which is great for both the environment and for business,” Finnair’s COO Jaakko Schildt told TPG. “It also benefits us with new cargo potential — hence why we fly the aircraft between London and Helsinki, a big cargo route for us”.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/why-so...mestic-routes/
AY's cargo site has schedule information, which might provide more information on routes with widebodies. The SkyChain platform seems to allow searching by origin-destination pair, as well all flights from a station.
https://cargo.finnair.com/en/service...ortation-modes
flyingeph12 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 11:32 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 545
A330 to Málaga?

Hi,
Does anyone know if Finnair plans on using the A330 to Málaga (AGP) this coming Christmas, like they did last year? Or, when would the frames for this route should post? Thanks!
Mister P. is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 10:00 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Helsinki-Vantaa APT, Finland
Programs: AY GUEST
Posts: 5,413
AY1331 HEL-LHR 27OCT19-28MAR20 retimed to 07:50-09.10
OH-LGG is online now  
Old Jul 24, 19, 10:48 am
  #41  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland / Estonia
Programs: BAEC Gold, AY+ Platinum, HH Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Avis PP
Posts: 5,844
Originally Posted by OH-LGG View Post
AY1331 HEL-LHR 27OCT19-28MAR20 retimed to 07:50-09.10
So 10 more spare minutes to improve on time performance.
florens is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 10:51 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Helsinki-Vantaa APT, Finland
Programs: AY GUEST
Posts: 5,413
A350 is getting old and slow.
florens, intuition and FFlash like this.
OH-LGG is online now  
Old Jul 24, 19, 11:04 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: AY Plat
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by OH-LGG View Post
AY1331 HEL-LHR 27OCT19-28MAR20 retimed to 07:50-09.10
More rush from domestic connecting flights, out from Premium lounge time. Not good for me...
vulle likes this.
Ukki is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:00 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Posts: 3,485
Between the removal of bags of customers not eligible for international transit through UK airports, and the holding pattern on approach to Heathrow, it is not entirely suprising that the flight got retimed.
Courmisch is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:17 pm
  #45  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland / Estonia
Programs: BAEC Gold, AY+ Platinum, HH Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Avis PP
Posts: 5,844
Originally Posted by Courmisch View Post
Between the removal of bags of customers not eligible for international transit through UK airports, and the holding pattern on approach to Heathrow, it is not entirely suprising that the flight got retimed.
Most of the delays I witnessed on AY1331 was not due to holdings in LHR but rather due to late departure from HEL due to congestion or weather / wait for deicing...

Not sure what you mean by the eligibility for international transit in UK airports.

Last edited by florens; Jul 24, 19 at 12:24 pm
florens is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread