Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Speculations of new Finnair routes or frequencies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculations of new Finnair routes or frequencies

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
Finnair just added traditional Chinese as an option. Maybe a small indication in interest to the Taiwan market?
Or could be just reinforcing the service offering for their perhaps #1 market, Hong Kong.
Clydez likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by SuloL
Or could be just reinforcing the service offering for their perhaps #1 market, Hong Kong.
Cantonese is not "traditional chinese" even though they use traditional characters in HK. Taiwan uses traditional characters with Mandarin.
Clydez likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:52 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I am curious to what they actually added. Using the region/language selector at finnair.com I see no option corresponding to "traditional". The HK selector is iso-code ZH, so it is Cantonese but I am not skilled enough to see how it is scripted. Is it trad or simplified? Canto can be scripted in simplified to a certain degree, but not all words.
I guess canto speakers in HK would prefer traditional while canto speakers in GuangZhou would "prefer" simplified.

If they added the min nan dialect TW Hokkien (that would be a mess as it didn't appear in writing until ≈200 years ago and uses a mix of characters I would give the rumor some credit!

Last edited by intuition; Jan 16, 2019 at 1:58 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
The HK-ZH site uses traditional characters. For example 英国 vs 英國 for United Kingdom, CN version has the first, ZH the latter. First is simplified, second is traditional.
Clydez likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:16 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Thanks, I thought so but was unsure.

So what OP may have meant is that ZH was added to the site and so what was posted in post 76 is the likely explanation. Ie not an indication of a Taiwan route.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Heh, Wasn't really being super serious about my post. It was based on Finnair news letter sent to HKG subscribers titled "Finnair.com now available in Traditional Chinese". Just crossing my fingers for a service to Taiwan. In Busan right now visiting and while its a nice city I have a hard time believing the traffic here would be better than Taipei.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:00 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Yeah, I'd love to see TPE added, too.

But for now, Star Alliance works fine for all my TW, HK and CN needs.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by florens
I read on another forum that Finnair might start to fly to MAA (Chennai, India). Apparently some Finnair people were there recently.
There is an article about this, although it is a couple of weeks old already.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/66961110.cms
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:52 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Not really a speculation, more an observation

TF is opening a 2 weekly GOT-LYS, Mon/Thur starting march 04.
Finnair is not selling it so far, instead continuing to offer a CDG connection onto the AY/AF codeshare.
And not very likely to happen either, just posting if someone wants to take the odd route.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by intuition

Finnair is not selling it so far, instead continuing to offer a CDG connection onto the AY/AF codeshare.
And not very likely to happen either, just posting if someone wants to take the odd route.
I didn't even know that an airline with the name Braathens existed in Sweden after the original Norwegian one was acquired by SAS back in 2004. The more you learn
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:54 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Amazing, isn't it!

In the 90's Braathens bought "Malmö Aviation" which flew under the TF code. But TF wasn't merged with BU and when SK bought Braathens, the family kept Malmö Aviation, which recently got rebranded Braathens. So still norwegian, still same family owner!

I flew the orignal Braathens on MMX-FBU in in 1992, on what I believe was my first ever logged non-charter flight. I vivdly remember being blown-away when they didn't charge for coffee&cognac after the meal.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2

Frankly, the best option to Lyon, is to fly to CDG and take the bullet train from there. Given how bad of a rip-off the transfer from LYS to the city is.

Finnair is operating LYS semiweekly now, but it looks like they won't redo it next winter?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:21 am

Amazing, isn't it!

In the 90's Braathens bought "Malmö Aviation" which flew under the TF code. But TF wasn't merged with BU and when SK bought Braathens, the family kept Malmö Aviation, which recently got rebranded Braathens. So still norwegian, still same family owner!

I flew the orignal Braathens on MMX-FBU in in 1992, on what I believe was my first ever logged non-charter flight. I vivdly remember being blown-away when they didn't charge for coffee&cognac after the meal.
Hearing stories like this makes me think about missing out on a special era, but oh well. Aviation today is great in many ways as well.

Being born in a different generation than the general user of this forum, my first flights with Braathens that I can remember were in 2001, flying AES-OSL (no FBU of course) r/t as part of a Sydentur to AGP. No cognac for me at that age however Of course, not too long after it became SAS Braathens and then later SAS Norge/SAS.

Anyway, this is getting a bit OT.
on22cz likes this.

Last edited by Superrman; Jan 30, 2019 at 11:26 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:00 pm

I am curious to what they actually added. Using the region/language selector at finnair.com I see no option corresponding to "traditional".

Under China, it says 简体中文, which means Simplified Chinese. Under Hong Kong, it says 繁體中文, which means Traditional Chinese. It looks as if AY uses language code cn for Simplifid and zh for traditional in the URL. Normally, you'd expect zh-cn or zh-hans for Simplified and zh-hk, zh-tw or zh-hant for Traditional.

I don't think that there is a way to book any TF flights through AY without including a flight between STO and HEL. OSD-BMA: no hits. OSD-HEL: plenty of hits, some requiring a transfer between BMA and ARN.

A GOT-LYS search only shows a stupid GOT-HEL-CDG-LYS routing. Might be good for a mileage run but horrible under normal circumstances.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Some person
A GOT-LYS search only shows a stupid GOT-HEL-CDG-LYS routing. Might be good for a mileage run but horrible under normal circumstances.
Even for MR, that sounds horrible. AY codes on domestic AF are never cheap. Such routing only makes sense for a short notice booking with somebody else's monies, or if you really badly want to visit the AF lounge with a Finnair Plus tier card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.