Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Speculations of new Finnair routes or frequencies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculations of new Finnair routes or frequencies

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:12 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SuloL
Just my own thought, but the seasonality could be one main reason of not seeing success on the route. For the high-yielding pax, corporate travellers, seasonal and "a few times a week" schedule just isn't enough. They'll probably take their money somewhere else, most likely to a carrier who provides daily frequencies.
^
Exactly!

What business would sign up for a transportation service that runs intermittently?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Courmisch
does it mean AY will relocate to Daxing airport
I wouldn't be surprised if AY would start a second daily to Beijing when Daxing opens, keeping the existing flight to Capital Airport and adding a new one to Daxing.

Originally Posted by intuition
The reason IMO why Finnair isn't bothered with CAN is
a) they entered with wrong attitude/business plan and was forced out in 2009. I am not sure they understand that market even today.
b) they have only secured a limited license and there might be obstacles to get a year-round daily
c) they might be flying to CAN only to protect current license
d) they have slots at HKG and need to protect them. With a limited number of planes, HKG wins. Especially when the myth that HKG is serving Guangdong equally good is strong.
A friend of mine bought multiple returns for last summer between HEL and CAN when AY had the J offers there. On one of his flights the purser told him in the Plat talk that they could fill even more planes from CAN so looks like they have now managed to get customers. Upgauging the equipment to A350 also supports this.

However AY has been increasing the frequencies to HKG so if they would really see enough growth opportunities in CAN and if there would be slots available there, I would say they would have added flights to CAN instead of HKG.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by r2d2
I wouldn't be surprised if AY would start a second daily to Beijing when Daxing opens, keeping the existing flight to Capital Airport and adding a new one to Daxing.
I'd be surprised if the Chinese would grant Finnair a second frequency to Beijing any more than to Shanghai, at least not until a Chinese carrier starts the route. If CZ does really join Oneworld, it seems far more likely that any second frequency would be operated by them from their future Daxing hub.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
As far as North America is concerned, I wouldn’t be expecting many new destinations here. AY currently only operates JFK as a daily year-round destination. The attempt to operate MIA year-round failed. My guess is their North American focus is to add frequencies and extend seasons.

If AY were to open a new destination in the US, my bets would be on DFW. It’s AA’s largest hub and it would offer very good connections all across the US, and even to Mexico and Latin America. DFW is also an important destination in its own right, so there would be demand between northern Europe and DFW.

The other big AA hubs (PHL, CLT) aren’t that important destinations in their own right, and you can connect at ORD (or to some extent at JFK), so I don’t see much potential here.

In the US, Hawaii would be out-of-the-box. Haapalainen presented a nice schedule where one plane could operate three weeklies (and some DXB in between). A trip from Europe to Hawaii always requires a change of planes en route, and in surprisingly many cases even two, with schedules that aren’t always that convenient, so AY would definitely have an advantage here. They could offer all those honeymooners and well-off holiday makers a one-stop choice with good schedules from all over Europe. It shouldn’t even be too difficult to fill a J cabin on this route even if it’s leisure heavy.

We shouldn’t forget Canada, of course. YYZ has been served by AY before, and I believe it was popular in the summer, but time goes by and I have no idea how eager the new generations of Finnish-Canadians are to visit their great-great-granparents’ home country anymore. YYZ, and a second potential destination, YVR, are well-served from Europe, especially in the summer, so there’s lots of competition. No direct flights to northen Europe, though.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005

We shouldn’t forget Canada, of course. YYZ has been served by AY before, and I believe it was popular in the summer, but time goes by and I have no idea how eager the new generations of Finnish-Canadians are to visit their great-great-granparents’ home country anymore. YYZ, and a second potential destination, YVR, are well-served from Europe, especially in the summer, so there’s lots of competition. No direct flights to northen Europe, though.
AC flies CPH-YYZ and they seem to be doing quite well - based on recently switching from 787 to 777. I wouldn't mind a direct AY-flight as I fly to YYZ quite often via LHR, having family both in YYZ and YQT.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Clydez
CZ please join OW, link up my CN domestic trips. Though nowadays i pretty much enjoy the high speed trains.

Please CZ, stay away from OW. That would most probably cause CX to leave the alliance.
Steve_Hun and juhanh like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by niksal
Having to go soon to Luxemburg, and that is very difficult! A direct route there would be nice.
Too niche. I doubt it could support even a twice weekly Norra E90.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:18 pm

Personal wishlist:

- Regular flights to ENF, like 3 weekly ATR during the summer season.
- Canada! Realistically it would be YYZ, but YUL/YYC/YVR would be helluva cool too. Maybe hook up with WestJet for codeshares to offer a wider network?
- SVG (talked with a Finnair manager about this on the inaugural BGO-HEL flight back in May, he said it was definitely a blip on their radar)
- GLA (but with the BREXIT insanity won't happen)
- NUE (don't understand the logic behind the HAJ route at all, Hannover is the world's most boring city whereas Nürnberg is the complete opposite)
- Caucasus: TBS/GYD/EVN. With Azerbaijan finally getting an e-visa too it'll be a far more attractive destination.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
When it comes to wishlist, I have only two words:
KUL, MNL
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
KUL would be a natural move for AY, albeit it’s close to SIN. I’m too hoping for TPE although that’s less unlikely to happen.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:00 am

KUL, would be nice. Quite a lot of MH connections.
What about copying SQ concept with ARN-DME-SIN, making it HEL-IKA-KUL? Don't know if SQ's concept is succesful at all.
IKA and Teheran is a fairly well populated area. Of course there are some political issues with that destination, but for the future it might be an interesting market for AY.
remymartin likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by helahela
When it comes to wishlist, I have only two words:
KUL, MNL
I'm wondering why AY doesn't even codeshare with CX on the HKG-MNL route. I've had some situations where I would have wanted to do e.g. MNL-HEL with CX & AY, but it's actually been even marginally cheaper to book MNL-HKG & HKG-HEL on separate tickets.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by SuloL
I'm wondering why AY doesn't even codeshare with CX on the HKG-MNL route. I've had some situations where I would have wanted to do e.g. MNL-HEL with CX & AY, but it's actually been even marginally cheaper to book MNL-HKG & HKG-HEL on separate tickets.
On my HKG-CEB flight, the ISM asked me, how come I did not fly HEL-HKG with AY (clearly they knew it onboard, that I was connecting from LHR) and I told her that because AY doesn't codeshare with CX on the HKG-CEB route. Didn't want to tell her that flew this way, to earn more points
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Practical wishlist:
HEL-CMN
HEL-OVB and codeshare with S7 to ALA/TAS/URC/IKT/VVO
HEL-YYZ
HEL-BOM
Perhaps expand HEL-SGN to HEL-TPE-SGN-HEL or HEL-SGN-KUL-HEL and make it year round
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
What about Africa?

AY currently operates a charter (yes, a 2000-series charter; those still exist) to HRG for Aurinkomatkat. In the past, there have been AY charters to AGA, DLM and LXR. The only scheduled flight to Africa that I know of was a DC9 service to CAI, operated as a tag flight from ATH/IST. I believe it’s not impossible that Aurinkomatkat would launch or relaunch some African destinations that would lead to AY starting flights, with some seats available for independent travellers, to places like SID, BJL, MBA or those previously mentioned. Could be exciting.

But to operate a true scheduled service to Africa is something that will never happen. While today’s maps of Africa show a proud patchwork of independent nations, from an economic view, Africa is still very much a bunch of colonies, with the old colonial masters being the main commercial partners. Thus, when you browse the destination lists of African airports, you will typically find at most one destination in Europe, a nonstop or one-stop flight to the old colonial capital, operated by that country’s flag carrier. Add TK and the ME3, and there really isn’t room for a player whose geographical location is of no advantage here.

If AY insisted on operating a flight to Africa, they would need to find a destination with enough demand for both business and leisure travel, enough demand from Finland, Sweden, Norway, Russia and the Baltics and an African country where not only a very small elite is wealthy enough to travel by air. The only places one could imagine would be JNB or CPT, both too far away for the 24-hour strategy to work.

Last edited by ffay005; Nov 20, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.