Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Speculations of new Finnair routes or frequencies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculations of new Finnair routes or frequencies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:17 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
We all look forward to the launch of Tlokoeng
It has been announced, but not updated exactly so in booking system, that TYO is going to be 4 weekly and going to NRT only at this time. HEL-NRT *2*456* 17.30 and NRT-HEL **3*567 at 22.40

I can see flights if I choose dates very specific, like 17-23 march. Choosing other dates invalidates the calendar and says "no flights on your dates", so there is some nice bugs with booking system and/or published schdeules/fares
It seems the new timing isn't right, retunr flight has the old time. I guess wait and see is all one can do.

Last edited by intuition; Mar 3, 2022 at 7:25 am
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
Yeah, I don't even think JL has a direct AKL flight. They offer TYO-SYD-AKL (but if that is covid related or has "always" been so, I don't know). So if there ever was an AY flight, JL could codeshare it.
Nor sure if it was NRT-AKL but at the time of the Fukushima accident, a friend of mine visited NZ and he flew HEL-Japan-NZ, on a nonstop flight from Japan to NZ.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I would be all in for a HEL-HND-SFO-HEL circle
GeeTee77 and timma1971 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Based on what I have understood, Hawaii is horribly expensive for Finns -> likely not a mass turism destination for Finns. So , it would require transfer pax to great extent to survive, as there would be very limited business pax.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Fwiw also JL planning Alaska route to LHR.

Thinking here that I should book one polar tour now that it can be rare ”opportunity” (weird to say so at these times)
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Based on what I have understood, Hawaii is horribly expensive for Finns -> likely not a mass turism destination for Finns. So , it would require transfer pax to great extent to survive, as there would be very limited business pax.
From Europe via HEL to Hawaii would be by far the easiest and quickest routing for basically all of Europe, so there should be no shortage of connecting pax.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
From Europe via HEL to Hawaii would be by far the easiest and quickest routing for basically all of Europe, so there should be no shortage of connecting pax.
Indeed, Intl-Dom connections in USA are big pain for most people. However, I fail to see why Europeans would want to go to hawaii for holidays? Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Canary Islands, Caribbean etc have many interesting destinations...
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by reflektia
Indeed, Intl-Dom connections in USA are big pain for most people. However, I fail to see why Europeans would want to go to hawaii for holidays? Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Canary Islands, Caribbean etc have many interesting destinations...
Maybe they want a destination without being overrun by Finns, like the ones I bolded? One reason I am yet to visit those destinations.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
I fail to see why Europeans would want to go to hawaii for holidays? Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Canary Islands, Caribbean etc have many interesting destinations...
I can see many reasons:
  • Hawaii is just legendary
  • Hawaii has great weather all year around. Most other beach destinations have a cold or rainy seison
  • Hawaii is in a developed rich country where English is the native language. No worries of diarrhea, crime, language, etc.
  • If you like American food, Hawaii has it
  • Many people want to go to new destinations if there are easy flight connections. I guess that's one of the reasons why Aurinkomatkat also changes their destinations once in a while
  • Hawaii is also a world-class cultural destination (Pearl Harbor)
ffay005, TapioR, Alec84 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:10 am

You can basically take any one country from that list and ask why people want to go there in particular. There are as many reasons as there are travellers, but eg Malaysia is nothing special in itself, surely it can be substituted for Thailand or Tenerife... People want variety. With easy one-stop connections via HEL, I am quite sure AY would be able to fill a few weekly A350s to Hawaii without problems.

Also, supply creates demand. If we suddenly had a nonstop flight to Barbados, I'm sure the number of Finns travelling there would increase.
r2d2, TapioR, Steve_Hun and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
But it is true that Hawaii is horrendously expensive compared to the typical destinations of Nordic sun seekers.
jrfsp320 and SPBanker like this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 9:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
BHX?https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...outes-28402234
Old Jan 13, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Originally Posted by r2d2
  • Hawaii is in a developed rich country where English is the native language. No worries of diarrhea, crime, language, etc.
This, a million times this! Traveling around the world is fantastic, but having to guess whether you will pass out on the bathroom floor after vomiting all night during your "dream" holiday is not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.