Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium economy coming spring 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:21 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc
...do you think a round trip can be bought a price of EUR 900 or 950 ?[/left]

Unless regular Y falls in price, I don't think 900€ is a realistic price in PEY at all.

BRU-HKG basic fare is 585. Comfort seats (LH) + seat&meal (SH) adds 260€, so 845€. Value ticket adds another 45€, ie 890€.
If they will charge the same for a new PEY class as the charge for current comfort, it is not going to be substantially better.

Last edited by intuition; Nov 6, 2018 at 11:31 am
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by intuition
Where does PRO ticket fit into this future? They can't possibly sell PE at a price above PRO. Will the entire ticket-type system go away? 3 classes each with flex and saver tickets?
PRO tickets can already now be more expensive than tickets in J.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Jainzar
PRO tickets can already now be more expensive than tickets in J.
Similar to BA premium economy and J to certain destinations on some dates.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
Unless regular Y falls in price, I don't think 900€ is a realistic price in PEY at all.

BRU-HKG basic fare is 585. Comfort seats (LH) + seat&meal (SH) adds 260€, so 845€. Value ticket adds another 45€, ie 890€.
If they will charge the same for a new PEY class as the charge for current comfort, it is not going to be substantially better.
perhaps I should raise to 950-1050 EUR will be more realistic.
Take BRU HKG as an example

looking at SAS Plus of fare class A,the price is 8xx EUR below 900
Looking at BA fare class T, with fare class K short haul, the price is 1000 EUR
Aeroflot is above SK, slightly above 900 EUR, fare class A

Regarding PEY saver, I think 950 - 1050 EUR make sense.
With better slots and slightly shorter travelling time.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Given that JL sells PEY at double the price of Y on HEL<->NRT, I am rather pessimistic about the whole thing.

But there is at least one good thing to come out of this: 100% earning AY fares to Japan and North America.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:47 pm

Sorry to repeat myself. AY seem to understand that some people are willing to pay for comfort. So it is time for them to understand that there is a market for short-haul affordable restricted I class tickets.

I have bought BA premium tickets a couple of times when J has been sold out or the price has been ridicously high. The PE has been a good choice especially for day flights.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
This is good news mostly. But it seems I am in different camp on this.
I see several opportunities here. Now I can choose also Finnair for longhaul travel and many others I guess too. Because sofar, I dont want to fly AY Y and J class is not permitted on company dime but PE is, just like most companies what I know.

Also I believe this will shift pricing favorably too. If now the tendency has been expensive Y tickets, but ”too cheap” J tix exEU making good J deals for me out of reach from FIN, I want to believe we will see more pricing towards cheaper Y (<500€) and more expensive J which is good for me as I can choose PE and use upgrades easier (assuming J availability increases due to J folks switxhing more to PE lured vy cost savings).
I think Finnair makes smart move here. And I think Y+ ecocomfort was always a failure for them. Lots of freeriders (elites) without ancillaries or then, too little premium differentiation for leisure pax to pay that Y+ premium as a whole, i.e. bad service business concept with too high differentiation cost vs. scale of value added.
remymartin likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
I'm going to have to be the "pessimisti ei pety"-guy when it comes to this whole thing. Let's be honest that AY's hard product has never been their strength. And when it comes to PE, hard product is, at least in my books, more important compared to J.

Also am I the only one who find this press release kinda funny?

"We're going to have new Premium Economy but actually we don't have any clue what it's going to be like"
florens likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:21 pm

I first read the title as ATRs will get PE, but double-reading it I realized it's just a renewal of the cabin.
Why not sell the ATRs and go with "Airbus" A220 instead?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by manywhere
Why not sell the ATRs and go with "Airbus" A220 instead?
I'm really hoping that the E90 fleet will have that fate. Trying to avoid those like the plague, but lately AY is "messing with me" , as they keep on swapping the metal for my booked flights from Airbus 32X to E90
remymartin likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I'm really hoping that the E90 fleet will have that fate. Trying to avoid those like the plague, but lately AY is "messing with me" , as they keep on swapping the metal for my booked flights from Airbus 32X to E90
What‘s wrong with the E90? I quite like them especially when travelling as a couple.
FFlash likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Isn t it a fact the a PE will reduce the number of seats in the planes? So will they reduce Y or C capacity in the future? My guess: it will be a smaller C cabin, and therefore the deals from places like TLL, PRG, BUD - you name it - will vanish.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by florens
What‘s wrong with the E90? I quite like them especially when travelling as a couple.
I find the seats horrendously uncomfortable and if you recline them the backrest seems to pivot about 30cm too high.
The seats lufthansa have in their E90 are much more comfortable. if nobody is next to you it's quite pleasant but AY E90 is uncomfortable even if you are the only passenger on the plane.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:08 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
[left]... J class is not permitted on company dime but PE is, just like most companies what I know.

If the PE is aimed at corporate travel, then that is the key element. If they are seeing falling yields in J cabin and it can be determined to be from Y-only policies, then PE can capture some of that lost monies.

Not so sure J is lacking in yield though.

Originally Posted by aama
Also am I the only one who find this press release kinda funny?

"We're going to have new Premium Economy but actually we don't have any clue what it's going to be like"
Indeed! At first sight, it seems strange to communicate at this early stage. However, I believe this is aimed at financial markets. And AY needs to tell them as soon as the investment decision has been made.

Originally Posted by aama
I'm going to have to be the "pessimisti ei pety"-guy when it comes to this whole thing. Let's be honest that AY's hard product has never been their strength. And when it comes to PE, hard product is, at least in my books, more important compared to J.
+1!
napapiiri likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by riku2
I find the seats horrendously uncomfortable and if you recline them the backrest seems to pivot about 30cm too high.
The seats lufthansa have in their E90 are much more comfortable. if nobody is next to you it's quite pleasant but AY E90 is uncomfortable even if you are the only passenger on the plane.
All those and to add to your list, it "leaks" air left right and centre. Even if you close the airvents above you, there is still always a draft around you. But we are getting very much off topic, so my rant is over...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.