Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Baggage Wait After a Finnair Flight to JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:06 am
a7m
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.

Considering flying Finnair for the first time, but… How long does it take to get checked-in baggage after a Finnair flight to JFK (after landing)? I know some small airlines that operate at JFK take longer than usual to deliver baggage because they only have one flight a day there. Once I waited an hour for my bag after going through immigration. But that was T1 with a different airline. Maybe Finnair has a special arrangement at T8? Experiences? Thanks!

Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by a7m
How long does it take to get checked-in baggage after a Finnair flight to JFK (after landing)?
A couple of months ago I was out in 18mins after arriving to the immigration hall = total time for line up for immigration and waiting for the bags. That was almost as quick as at HEL.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
My concern would also be delivery of bags at HEL. It seems to take an eternity coming from SIN at least. Priority tags will guarantee that your bag will be among the last.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by nanyang
My concern would also be delivery of bags at HEL. It seems to take an eternity coming from SIN at least. Priority tags will guarantee that your bag will be among the last.
It seems to vary. Lately I haven't had any long delays in baggage delivery. Usually on evening arrivals the bags have arrived in 20-25mins after the plane has landed, and very rarely it takes much longer on afternoon rush hour, either.

In my experience on short haul flights priority baggage delivery as first just doesn't work, but on long haul it is very rare it doesn't, either at HEL or at outstations.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:28 pm
Suspended

At JFK as a non-US passport holder I've never made it through immigration before bags started coming... Not sure why airline or number of flights should have any impact on the speed though.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:45 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpkz
At JFK as a non-US passport holder I've never made it through immigration before bags started coming... Not sure why airline or number of flights should have any impact on the speed though.
Were you flying Finnair? If so, how long do you think it took between landing and the bags to appear? I'm not concerned about immigration because I have Global Access.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:47 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
A couple of months ago I was out in 18mins after arriving to the immigration hall = total time for line up for immigration and waiting for the bags. That was almost as quick as at HEL.
Fast! Do you think it was because of your elite status or other people started getting bags at the same time? I'm not OW elite. I have elite status with Alaska, which is a Finnair partner, but I don't think it matters.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by a7m
Fast! Do you think it was because of your elite status or other people started getting bags at the same time? I'm not OW elite. I have elite status with Alaska, which is a Finnair partner, but I don't think it matters.
Yes, it was surprisingly fast, both immigration and baggage delivery. Priority bags were first, but I assume normal baggage wasn't much behind.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
I was there in May during rush hour and bags came out before I did. Even with no line at immigration, just the quick automated procedure.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Sadly, I never had to wait for my bag at JFK or EWR. But I don't have Global Entry etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.