Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Seat & Meal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Markonen
Just returned from TFS with Seat&Meal both ways.

I have to say that the implementation baffles me. First of all, the food is different that the regular pre-order meals. Not better or more "high end" in any way, just different dishes. This clearly added much complexity during service; at one point the FA remarked that they had 9 different meal types loaded. This seemed to be something the inbound service couldn't really afford–the night flight from TFS gets a ton of pre-ordered meals and clearly the crew was swamped.

Second, there is only one dish per meal type (fish, meat, vegetarian or kids meal) whereas the regular pre-order meals have two options to choose from. This means that you are likely to have the same food both ways, which is boring at best.

Third, it's catered separately in its own catering containers. This was especially silly with the toy that's part of the kids' meal. My son was the only child with a Seat&Meal kids' meal, and so his one small toy travelled in style–a dedicated 40x30x30cm aluminium galley box.

Overall, I really don't understand why this is not just a package price deal for the regular pre-order meal, seat selection and priority security. Why it needs to affect the service delivery at all is beyond me – it must add to the implementation cost tremendously. The only theory I can float is that they plan to differentiate it more down the line: a short haul premium economy product?
This.
I wonder too about that cost of differentiation vs service scalability, suspect someone/team in charge is not the sharpest needle in the stack
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
I am quite confused now...
Got about 6 returns AMS-HEL scheduled for the next few months and all bookings show a Seat & Meal price of 11K points, except for one booking where it's 5.5K points for a HEL-AMS segment.
It seems they are running tests with those.... interesting!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
I am quite confused now...
Got about 6 returns AMS-HEL scheduled for the next few months and all bookings show a Seat & Meal price of 11K points, except for one booking where it's 5.5K points for a HEL-AMS segment.
It seems they are running tests with those.... interesting!
I had a difficult time deciding whether to upgrade my AMS flight to J for 7k, or to S&M for 11k. One would think this S&M option has been implemented to prevent once-in-a-year flyers from consuming J upgrade availability, because they would see it in the Y seat map, have no idea about J price being lower (even at standard 10k rate) and wisely spend their collected points. Win-win-win (customer - AY - tier members)...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SAS Gold (butt in seat)
Latest, my coming FRA-HEL flight still showed a price of 5.500 (instead11k) Points or 35€. Couldn't secure with points online, so called CS. They said, still a bug (as from OP reported) in system.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carotthat
Latest, my coming FRA-HEL flight still showed a price of 5.500 (instead11k) Points or 35€. Couldn't secure with points online, so called CS. They said, still a bug (as from OP reported) in system.
So it is a bug!! And that's been around for months now? Oh my....
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
So it is a bug!! And that's been around for months now? Oh my....
Seat&meal for 11k vs J upgrade for 10k. Tough choice.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
It's been going on for months. No brainer straight to J if you have to choose.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
I´m "forced" to try the Seat&Meal as my upgrade is still on waitlist and I want to ensure a warm meal on board;
AY offers seat&meal for two for 50 € which is a decent price for a hot meal and a wine.
cistavoda likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Karjaluokka
I´m "forced" to try the Seat&Meal as my upgrade is still on waitlist and I want to ensure a warm meal on board;
AY offers seat&meal for two for 50 € which is a decent price for a hot meal and a wine.
Take photos for us.
EuroFlash likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Karjaluokka
Maybe you actually revealed why they are waitlisting upgrades...But I guess if you keep the upgrade waitlisted you should able to refund on S&M if upgrade clears.
But a win-win for AY as such, if Y loads are high and freeing up F-space doesn't seem valid -> additional revenue from status pax.
If Y-loads are low, clearing upgrade and getting rid of the points given to you.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Anyone who has tried this yet and has pictures? Really wondering what the food is like.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
On my recent trip to Rome bookers of Seat and meal were served their meal around 8:20 am soon after take off. There is no breakfast option.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:35 am

Anyone who has tried this yet and has pictures? Really wondering what the food is like.
Same. Have this as an option on an upcoming flight and am curious.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
Same. Have this as an option on an upcoming flight and am curious.
Have you tried it yet? :-)
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AY+ Silver
Tried the Seat&Meal yesterday on HEL-ZRH.

The food was decent, the salmon starter was better than the beef which was chewy but didn't receive (and forgot to ask for) any wine with it.
As discussed already, not worth the price or points.

The promise

As served

The reality
SPBanker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.