Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Flying with a kid in LH J? Experiences, hints etc.

Old Oct 4, 18, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat basic

Taking a kid to a business class is a topic that has been gone through in various blogs and writings. Since this is very much a cultural thing also, I thought that I would ask for your opinion. Have you done it, would you do it and have you had either positive of negative experiences about kids in J?

Here's my situation: I've booked HEL-PVR-HEL for the family of 3. This is a wonderful opportunity for J since it's such a long straight flight. I've now queued the J seats for us. Upgrading a 4-year-older raises following thoughts to me:

- It's damn expensive since he can't enjoy the premium wines etc. On the other hand especially the return flight over night would propably be a really good value since you can put the kid to bed almost like at home. The difference between J seat and Y seat is substantial. And there's a really good
- J will make the parents flight more comfortable since own seat etc. On the other hand since the kid would not be at imminent reach so it would be more difficult to control him as well.
- there's the risk of extra noise. This is probably the biggest concern because kids are kids no matter how well you educate them. I'm feeling very positive about my kids behavior, but you can never know. And I also totally understand that other customers that have paid lots of money for their ticket have right to enjoy the benefits of J. My plan is to book seats from J minicabin which could probably be a bit more noisy and we would bother much less people if something happens. I would also assume that on a leisure style flight there would be customers drinking heavily in J and thus making some noise even worse than a kid.

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 4, 18, 3:29 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Kulta (OW Sapphire), FB, SBB GA, Bonvoy Gold, ACCOR, Coop card, Aligro Card, Porsche Club Suisse
Originally Posted by kanamurva View Post
- there's the risk of extra noise. This is probably the biggest concern because kids are kids no matter how well you educate them. I'm feeling very positive about my kids behavior, but you can never know. And I also totally understand that other customers that have paid lots of money for their ticket have right to enjoy the benefits of J. My plan is to book seats from J minicabin which could probably be a bit more noisy and we would bother much less people if something happens. I would also assume that on a leisure style flight there would be customers drinking heavily in J and thus making some noise even worse than a kid.

Any thoughts?
Jumping to the last point so we get it over with ;-)

Gererally speaking it's never (or hardly ever) the kids that are the "problem" but rather their caretakers/parents. If a kid starts throwing a tantrum why can't the parent(s) take the kid to the galley rather than just sharing the whole experience with the rest of the cabin. I swear this happens 90% of times or maybe I have just been very unlucky in the past.
Not sure about the heavy drinking though... I never drink when flying and have never noticed any drunk behaviour on any flights I have ever taken so this should be the least of your worries.
Old Oct 4, 18, 5:15 am

I did travel once with my kids already in LH J (age was 1 & 4 at the time).

In my opinion it is better, when getting out of the plane after 11h they were ok. They can sleep, get more and better food and have some place to play.

I don't really understand why kids in J should behave better than in Y? The parents should always try to achieve good behaviour. I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure the youngest one cried a few times. That is just what kids of that age do.

90% of my time I travel for work so alone and several times I have seen kids/infants/toddlers in J. They sometimes make noise, but my worst experiences are always when two colleagues travel together in J and start drinking… This happens a lot and is noisy for a big part of the flight followed by wonderful snoring in the quiet A350.
Old Oct 4, 18, 5:39 am

Programs: *G, OWE, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
We have been flying with our now 6-year old daughter in business both on QR and AY (first time when she was 3) and have been very happy with every flight. She has been able to sleep well on night flights, been treated extremely well by the cabin crew, been given surprisingly tasty kid's meals (remember to order those in advance) and generally has enjoyed the flights.

I was a bit nervous before the first flight if the distance between seats was too much but didn't have any problems. If flying on AY though it's easier to help the child with meals etc when flying on A330. So, if you have a chance to fly in J with your child, it's definitely worth the extra cost.
Old Oct 4, 18, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Sounds great, thanks! Vulle, did you order the kid's food (for over 2yo kids easily recognizable food)? I was even thinking of getting him the Food lover's treat: whitefish (siika) with carrot puree would propably be damn good and of high quality.

And about the behavior: agree, that parents do a lot. At the same time I think sometimes kids can have a bad day that is hard to handle for anybody. This is the difference to adults: adults normally have a way of handling things no matter how pissed off they are. But it's great to hear promising examples.
Old Oct 4, 18, 6:30 am

Programs: AY GUEST
Nothing to be feared. Commercial and scheduled flight is public transportation and we all know different kind of people travelling on trams, buses, trains, etc . So nothing to be feared or shamed in sounds or baby crying.

If someone can't stand another people making normal noise, he/she can use a private jet.

Drinking and making noise is a different thing. Those are bad behaved adults.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
Having flown with Finnair (and many other airlines) with our kids from age 1 month many many times I would say the issue age is about 2-4 years old. At that age the kids have to have their own seat but have really no clue on whats happening. So keeping them in place for take off and landing can be a challenge and eating also (since the seats are far away apart). Babies are easy.

I do have to say that the Finnair crews in J have had very little to no training how to deal with kids specifically. On Cathay for example the service is automatically adjusted for kids (for example a 3 year old gets a half filled plastic cup instead of a full glass every time). On Finnair my experience is that most of the time the service they give is 100% the same as to all other passengers so unless you say anything your 3 year old will get an pre-flight drink (full glass of blueberry juice makes nice mess), an amuse bouche, hot soup, a burning hot plate, metal utensils, etc. Best is to tell them immediately what you want for the kid to have and to bring it out first, then feed the kid and then eat your self since once you are eating its hard to help the kid at the same time (two parents, one kid is easy but one / one ratio gets harder). There are of course exceptions with crews (mostly older Finnish ladies, probably mothers them selves) that offer a great kid specific service but I would say this is the exception, not the norm.
vulle and kanamurva like this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 8:57 am

I have the same concerns, but not really how the baby will behave in J. More about how it would be to keep him in the lap in a J seat. He is too big for the baby bassinet, but too small and young for an own seat. Wonder if he fits side by side with Ms. if he (they) needs to take a nap. 21" should be enough? Anyone with experience of lap baby in J?

Or should I stick to row 41. Which has been great to travel with a baby in.
Old Oct 4, 18, 9:42 am

Seldomrfly- assuming your child is under 2yrs old. I have flown both Y and J with our child. She has 20 flights under her belt at 10 months. I would pick J every time.
Old Oct 4, 18, 10:23 am

Yes under 2 but too big for the LH baby cot. Think I'll go ahead and get an award in J. Good thing is that I'll save a lot of points doing it before the baby turns 2.

18 months now and 25 flights. But only one return trip LH, rest intra northern europe . Generally speaking it has been smooth to fly with an baby..not any major issues. Kids tend to behave better at airports and in planes compared to at home. 😁
LoungeEnthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 1:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
As long as the kid isn't a brad I see no problem. just keep the kid close (aka next to) a parent so if anything is brewing appropriate actions can be taken. No one really is bothered too much by a kid having a problem (crying etc.) as long as the parents are there and in control (or at least try their best). Things happen. Better a 4 yo on the plane than a drunk football/hockey/.... fan
Old Oct 4, 18, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Just get ipad with few games and movies to kid and there is no worries whatsoever during whole flight.
Old Oct 4, 18, 5:32 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
We moved to the US when the kids were 1 and 2, and flew back and forth quite a bit, mostly in J. No issues, not once. One kid would pass out on the runway and sleep till the wheels hit the ground, the other one would never sleep on the flight. Huge differences, much like adults.

My opinion, now with experience from flying with three kids, is that most passengers understand that there is no off button in the kid. As long as you’re not enjoying your Napue and letting your kid kick the seat in front of her with full force, the vast majority of co-passengers will understand you. And you should just ignore the idiot or two that think kids shouldn’t fly.

My two cents.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 6:35 pm

Most kids will be consumed by ipad and ife and unlikely to cause trouble.
Your goal is to ensure feeding without making a mess and timely lav breaks (without wetting pants and gasp seat). If borderline on that skill use diaper just for the flight.
longer term the main concern is kid getting used to c without proper prospective (eg "papa if this plane doent have flat seats and large tv maybe we should take another one") and unintentionally bragging at school.

Last edited by azepine00; Oct 4, 18 at 6:40 pm
Old Oct 4, 18, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by seldomrfly View Post
I have the same concerns, but not really how the baby will behave in J. More about how it would be to keep him in the lap in a J seat. He is too big for the baby bassinet, but too small and young for an own seat. Wonder if he fits side by side with Ms. if he (they) needs to take a nap. 21" should be enough? Anyone with experience of lap baby in J?

Or should I stick to row 41. Which has been great to travel with a baby in.
We flew then with the a330, on the way there my wive was able to sleep next to the one year old. For me it would not have been possible. On the way back, there were some empty seats, so the small one had its own bed.
Also crew was very attentive. It was an evening flight and the four year old was very tired and didn't want warm food. I asked the crew if he could have some fruit and yoghurt, and it was given with a smile.
For sure a330 is better when travelling with kids, you can actually help them with anything without crossing the aisle. Another advantage is that there is much more space. We had a seat in row 1, so the kids had a complete "kids corner".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: