Search

HEL Premium Lounge [now closed]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by NJSwamplands
208 posts is too much to weed through.

If I fly NYC-HEL-BKK will there be a lounge available for my 8 hour layover? If so, which one ( USA citizen )?

8 Hours? I recommend to take a room at the Hilton instead. Even if itīs not for free I would do it.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
208 posts is too much to weed through.

If I fly NYC-HEL-BKK will there be a lounge available for my 8 hour layover? If so, which one ( USA citizen )?
Originally Posted by Ed Size
8 Hours? I recommend to take a room at the Hilton instead. Even if itīs not for free I would do it.
Or head into Helsinki for a meal and some quick sightseeing if the weather is reasonable.. I don't think I could even do 8 hours of the Premium Lounge
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Or head into Helsinki for a meal and some quick sightseeing if the weather is reasonable.. I don't think I could even do 8 hours of the Premium Lounge
Did the Qatar lounge in Doha for 10 hours just fine ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions all.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:03 pm

Would I need to go through customs in order to leave the airport?

And yes AY Business Class.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by Bdsm
A lumo reporting she was able to get hosted in renovated premium lounge at HEL which is almost complete..
Was there just yesterday, it will take at least 4 weeks for the dream of that lumo to become true.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

And yes AY Business Class.
I took the free "Doha Tour" during my layover there, provided by QR. Reasonable experience getting to see a bit of the city and the Souk.

And. of course, you would need to clear immigration and customs to get into Finland, but that doesn't take more the 5 minutes normally. Customs is on an honor system..
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:57 pm

Because of the lounge situation I decided to make a booking at the following:

Restaurant Ask

hopefully the food is better than the lounge
SPBanker likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:58 pm

there r some sleeping pods in the airport. Maybe worthwhile taking a nap?
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by londonexpert

Hopefully they have more than Lufthansa did at Frankfurt.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
A lumo reporting she was able to get hosted in renovated premium lounge at HEL which is almost complete.
I am not the only female Lumo! Sometimes I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb. Which is not a bad thing, but is a little uncomfortable sometimes. I have gotten some nice little freebies from lounge attendants and flight attendants since Lumo was introduced, so it’s definitely not been a negative thing. However, you know you fly way too much when the border guards at HEL start recognizing you at passport control and ask how was your trip.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by londonexpert

The Finnair Lounge has the same sleeping pods.

I have had several long layovers at HEL from NA to Asia, and I agree that 8 hours in the Finnair Lounge is too long. The current lack of showers (unless one clears immigration and goes to the Schengen lounge) makes the situation worse. I have spent a long layover in the city centre (there's a really convenient train connection), but recently I have added a connection through LHR, which doesn't really add time to the overall trip and allows me to spend the majority of my layover time in the much better lounges at LHR.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:43 am

Yes, you have to pass the customs checkpoint, but assuming you don't have anything to declare and no customs officer wants to make random (or intelligence based) checks on the passengers on the green lane, you will barely notice that you go through customs on your way out of the airport airside.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:18 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
But there will be a la carte, at least for lumos!

Are you speculating or piecing together from tidbits of leaked info?

Some of this does not make sense. Sure, 'sense' is not a mandatory factor in these matters, but...

Restricting ala carte to Lumo: There has been unrestricted ala carte before and it was not used much, so limiting it to one group of travellers will not make a big difference in usage.
Limiting the usage will also hurt cost efficiency. They still would have to have all the resources (staff, food items) standby, but just use them less.

And the numbers.
There are around 15 000 Lumo movements each year (100people x 150 segments). That makes 41 Lumo movements each day. All of these are not transferring in HEL. Let's remove 11 movements for direct flyers and non-HEL transfers. 30 movements left. If they are transferring that takes 2 movements each, so this is 15 people. Most of these are segment based Lumos, so they are transferring in the schengen side. Remove 10 and left is 5 Lumos each day to do non-schengen transfers. 2 of them are on a tight connection and have no time to visit lounge or to eat ala-carte.

I feel sorry for that unlucky chef-guy whose career ended up running a ala carte restaurant for 3 people.
r2d2, ffay005, Ed Size and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS

From June onwards, when both lounges are to open, only AY lumo/plat (not gold any more) in any class for AY flights (lumo likely also for other oneworld carrier flights) and OWE in business class only will qualify (not sure if AY flight required). In any case, inside the lounge some services will be upgraded for AY own lumos only.
Would this be actually feasible within the alliance rules? Often when discussing lounge restrictions across the OW alliance, it's hypothesized that individual carriers are not able to limit access to their own elite members only and leave the corresponding OW tier out.

Within the scope of the same hypothetical rules, wouldn't there also be an alliance rule against discriminating people flying OW partner metal? AFAIK, this is not done anywhere either, although I might be wrong on this one. The current situation probably passes the smell test because of the extensive renovation.

Is the Premium lounge capacity increasing btw? If not, restricting to Lumo/Plat/OWE might be a good move.

Last edited by SuloL; Jan 20, 2019 at 5:49 am Reason: Added thought about OW partner metal
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SuloL
Would this be actually feasible within the alliance rules? ....
I wonder that too.

This, combining ticket and tier to determine lounge access, was one idea I peddled some 10 years ago. I always thought the lounge access were too generous towards the tier member vis ā vis the higher class flyers. So I am in favour of requiring business class ticket and elite tier for entry to a first class or corresponding lounge.

But I too think it would need alteration of OW rules. In any case it would be better for everyone if these things are regulated on allinace level and not per airline. It is already getting too messy with lounge exceptions and local "interpretations". BA is already discriminating non-BA flying elites, so if this is the path the alliance airlines are taking, better do it at the alliance level and be open about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.