Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair appoints Topi Manner as new CEO

Old Sep 3, 18, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD

Topi Manner (Head of personal banking, Nordea) has been appointed CEO of Finnair as of 01 Jan 2019. Press conference is held at Datavägen 9 today at 11:00, where Topi will hold his "acceptance speach".

Pekka Vauramo, will leave for Metso now, Pekka Vähähyyppä will act as iterim CEO.
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:13 am

08:30
Finnair has appointed Topi Manner (MSc.Econ), born 1974, as Finnair CEO as of January 1, 2019. Manner has a long career in management positions at Nordea, the largest financial group in the Nordic countries, and since 2016 he has worked as a member of Nordeas Group Executive Management and as Head of Personal Banking.

Topi Manner has extensive experience in both private and corporate customer business, and he has played a strong role in the digital transformation and customer service development of his bank, says Jouko Karvinen, Chairman of the Board, Finnair. We believe Topis people-centric leadership is an excellent fit for a service company like Finnair, which is all about people, both personnel and customers. Finnair has been transforming fast over the past years, and we continue to advance both our customer experience and our transformation.

Finnair is an iconic, renewing Finnish company with a significant national role. The Finnair team has done excellent work over the past few years, says Topi Manner. I am proud to have been selected to be part of Finnairs competent team to build the companys future, and to develop the experiences related to flying and travel together with other Finnair employees. I know Finnair people are strongly committed to the company which gives us a good ground to continue Finnairs strategy implementation.

Finnairs current CEO, Pekka Vauramo, who will take on the role of CEO of Metso Group, now leaves Finnair. Pekka Vähähyyppä, Chief Financial Officer, will act as an interim CEO during 4.9.-31.12.2018.

Further information: Finnair communications, tel. +358 9 818 4020, comms(a)finnair.com Distribution: Nasdaq Helsinki Principal media
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:49 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY Plat, Visa Plat, PP Prest
Let us hope that this will not induce the Nordea values to be imported to Finnair, i.e., cutting down services and getting rid of customers who would only bring gravel from the street to the premises (and no profit ). Anyway, I wish him good luck and success to Finnair!
DALtoAAL, remymartin, jmmi and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:19 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Am I the only one who thinks this is an odd choice? Ok, kudos for selecting a fairly young guy. But what are the merits in the travel industry, the Asian market? Is Nordea known for exceptional customer service, or employee treatment?

I wish all the best, but I am not convinced (nor a shareholder).
ffay005, FFlash and manywhere like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Difficult to say, as I know nothing about his experiences and accomplishments. Pekka came from mining industry, so no travel industry experience there either. But you are right, it seems odd not to have a travel or service professional at the top. Perhaps they feel that the internal career people are supposed to bring that to the table and they were looking for a charismatic bean counter on the top!
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:05 pm

I did read somewhere today that he was "interested in aviation". Maybe something you are supposed to say when landing a job like this. OR maybe he really is and is self taught aviation expert/geek. And IF he is, then he is probably hanging out at his forum 😂
on22cz and Clydez like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by niksal View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this is an odd choice? Ok, kudos for selecting a fairly young guy. But what are the merits in the travel industry, the Asian market? Is Nordea known for exceptional customer service, or employee treatment?

I wish all the best, but I am not convinced (nor a shareholder).
I was also surprised by the choice of Manner as the new CEO with his experience only from Nordea.

In an article on a Finnish website lentoposti.fi it is said that Manner's qualities in working with and listening to the employees are one of his best qualities in addition to experience in digital transformation. Interestingly, in the article Manner also repeats how this is a great learning opportunity for himself, but at least I would have rather seen the opposite where the new CEO brings to Finnair experience that the organization can really learn from. Such as deep knowledge in Asian business or experience from aviation from other parts of the world. But as said maybe Finnair has this kind of experience already on the lower levels and leadership skills is what really is needed.

As a side note, it is revealed that Manner has traveled extensively (only?) in the Nordics and Baltics on AY and is at the moment AY Plus Silver member

Link in Finnish: Finnairin tuleva toimitusjohtaja Topi Manner: Lähden mielelläni tälle opintomatkalle | lentoposti.fi
remymartin and manywhere like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seldomrfly View Post
I did read somewhere today that he was "interested in aviation". Maybe something you are supposed to say when landing a job like this. OR maybe he really is and is self taught aviation expert/geek. And IF he is, then he is probably hanging out at his forum 😂
Well, we do have people on here who are Nordea employees, so let's see if anyone can give us the inside dish on Manner.

Originally Posted by haapalainen View Post
I...
As a side note, it is revealed that Manner has traveled extensively (only?) in the Nordics and Baltics on AY and is at the moment AY Plus Silver member

IIRC, Pekka Vauramo at least had extensive longhaul experience when he became CEO
Old Sep 4, 18, 2:26 pm

At least his surname is continental if not intercontinental (for non-Finnish readers Manner is Continent)
deissi and manywhere like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 3:19 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT + hotels
Originally Posted by seldomrfly View Post
So we will soon have A380s and flights to HNL
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 5:13 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, AX
I have to agree with the previous posters that looking from outside this is somewhat surprising choice of CEO. Based on his experience as the head of personal banking I assume that he has experience of B2C segment but don't see anything e.g. related to the Asian market or travel in general. Of course, as mentioned, neither Vauramo had any travel/consumer business experience but had spent time in Asia. As someone who has not always been too satisfied Nordea customer I look cautiously forward what the future will bring.
Old Sep 4, 18, 11:53 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by nordic View Post
At least his surname is continental if not intercontinental (for non-Finnish readers Manner is Continent)
I was just wondering: if he flies over to see his brother in Stockholm, does that count as a Mannertenvälinen lento / intercontinental flight?
Furry, on22cz, jmmi and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nordic View Post
Oh, I thougt about this too!

But if he just adds the continental ending -heim that is taken care of!
OH-LGG and deissi like this.
Old Sep 5, 18, 7:22 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Guillou View Post
...don't see anything e.g. related to the Asian market...
Nordea has private banking branch in Singapore though
Old Sep 5, 18, 8:49 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), AZ Freccia Alata Plus, Hilton Silver, PP
I would have enjoyed being CEO for AY. I know the Asian market and the travel industry - both probably better than the new guy. 😛

Strange that the CEO was just “elected” and not chosen among various candidates for the job... 😫
manywhere likes this.

Search this Thread