Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by niksal
But can I be certain that there will be 3 upgrades available both ways?
You can't.

I should have mentioned, that I sent a mail to platinum desk to ask whether they think it's likely that the award space will open up and also asking whether they have any recommendations/experiences. Testing a bit what they can be used for... Not holding my breath.
No agent in their right mind will give you anything but "we don't know, it's hard to tell" in writing. Could all be used against them otherwise. Better to call and if you get the feeling you have a good agent, then try to extract something like "well, usually Tuesdays are pretty empty in J so if I were you, I'd opt for a Tuesday" or whatever happens to be the case (this Tuesday thing is just my invention, don't take it as advice!).
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
If you have any flexibility with your dates, it might be a good idea to pick flights with the most I-class availability. In my experience, LH upgrades tend to clear pretty rapidly when there's I class seats still available. You can compare loadings on expertflyer.
niksal likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:26 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by kanamurva
Would it not be better to buy your own good value ARN ticket in J and then get family in Y and ug them with 50k both ways each?
Yes, this used to be the best path, but...

... as they now hide all upgrade space and let "the robot" decide, this is very risky business.

Previously, you could do just like this. Check the F-seat availability and find days when there was upgrade space. Then book your J and acompanying Y tickets and quickly upgrade them. It wasn't fool proof, but when you book for family, you are probably a bit flexible and can adjust date of travel a bit to fit the offered F availability.

Nowadays you are in the dark. For the family upgrade in OPs case, you need to bock 4 tickets in "good faith" and then hope for the best that the robot will clear F-seats.

I'd personally think this is a major disadvantage and one of the worst devaluations of the plat tier. Other love this change though, as their waitlisted upgrades "always gets cleared".

(A bit like the imaginary seat block perk. All platinums are not created equal)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I strongly suspect that AY has some robot/algorithm behind award space, since I see often "lucrative combos" out of space. Again something that I experienced, only stupider times available or BAoneworld options. However, called in Plat desk and waitlisted and they said it seems that the flight has lots seats for sale so wait a day or two if we can do something about it. Called in next day and they had good news for me, opened some award space. Thank you.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Right now I see 5+ upgrade availability to Singapore on 16 17 29 Jan and 19 Feb - all other days - 0. Any idea why these days are singled out?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Richey66
Right now I see 5+ upgrade availability to Singapore on 16 17 29 Jan and 19 Feb - all other days - 0. Any idea why these days are singled out?
Loads, forecasts... There's nothing particular you can say.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lkrt
Loads, forecasts... There's nothing particular you can say.
Dont think loads and forecasts are so readically different, during next few months, that 4 days with no loads and all other days with full load. i think its pure chaos and/or system error so recommend to book these if needed, as few weeks ago all flights were unavialable for 6 months.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Yes, that is definitely on the radar and something I have thought about! Is probably even my preferred scenario. At the moment the price I see for finnair.fi is quite a bit higher than what itamatrix gives, but I'm hoping that will change once we get 2-3 months into the year.

I should have mentioned, that I sent a mail to platinum desk to ask whether they think it's likely that the award space will open up and also asking whether they have any recommendations/experiences. Testing a bit what they can be used for... Not holding my breath.
One option is to book J ticket for you and 3 Y for the family, call Plat desk to process the family upgrades. If no immediate availability, waitlist. If no success cancel all tickets within 24 hour cancellation window. Would do this around noon Finnish time to get two working days of "other department's" time

Not the ideal solution, but that seems to be the name of the game nowadays if one doesn't want to risk sitting in the back.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by Richey66
Chinese new year?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Furry
One option is to book J ticket for you and 3 Y for the family, call Plat desk to process the family upgrades. If no immediate availability, waitlist. If no success cancel all tickets within 24 hour cancellation window. Would do this around noon Finnish time to get two working days of "other department's" time

Not the ideal solution, but that seems to be the name of the game nowadays if one doesn't want to risk sitting in the back.
I have done this with the ”pressure” of highlighting to them about cancelling if no upgrades processed. Hate to do such and all the effort in case of cancel but finally it worked. Not sure if ”pressure” made it.
But yes, it is the name of the game.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I got a reply - they suggested flying in Economy or waitlisting.

It’s actually a pretty interesting scenario. If I buy a ticket for myself, that leaves my wife + kids 6 and 4 yrs. There’s for the outbound two J awards and two upgrades available. Educated guesses if that is 2+2 = no problem or if upgrading removes the award space (and vv)?

If the total is 2, then how will they waitlist my family? Leave my wife in Economy and put the two kids to Business (remember, I’d be on separate booking)? Or leave one of the kids alone in Economy? Or not agree to waitlist at all?

It looks like there is a 330 day window both for upgrades and awards. Can anyone confirm that is the case?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

FWiW, I have had case where they have separated upgrade waitlisted family persons so that at one point kids were risking of staying in Y cabin while parents in J. I asked about if that is Kosher and they murmured it is not really clean but doable so they did what they did. In the end, all cleared so question became moot
niksal likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: AY LUMO (500K+), Marriott Abassador, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Diamond
I would take a hit, with upgrades, put them even all as separate - so they would get one by one, as those seats become available. Been travelling on upgrades with 4 pax, me as Platinum, others as Gold - it works fine, just a bit of uncertainty first.
For the kids its probably better to buy tickets, as it would be 25% cheaper and u still get full points, taxes are apprx 250-300 on award tickets.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Booked my first ever LH awards that I waitlisted with vouchers. Two questions for the seasoned redeemers:

1) When waitlisting an X-class flight for business upgrade, the waitlist shows U-class. Any idea whether this inventory follows similar logic to that of F-class?
2) Plat line told me that changes on the awards would actually be free, and quoted it as a plat perk. I was hesitant to believe but now I suppose there's a phone recording if a change is needed. Is this just a commonly known policy that Ive missed?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by SuloL
2) Plat line told me that changes on the awards would actually be free, and quoted it as a plat perk. I was hesitant to believe but now I suppose there's a phone recording if a change is needed. Is this just a commonly known policy that Ive missed?
It is indeed a plat perk (undocumented afaik).
SuloL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.