Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:31 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by intuition
Thanks, all! OK, it seems clear it is a "up to 50€" cost for cancellation.
Now I've cancelled that award using MMB (and only forfeited the 22€ taxes paid) with two other observations:
a - you now need to claim the points back. I don't recall needing to do that before, but now cancellation confirmation clearly says 'you need to contact plus service center to get points back'
b - there is an interesting feeling when you check the 4h narrowbody J flight you've just cancelled to get your 60k points back and you realise it now retails at 3 000€...
Old Dec 27, 2019, 1:11 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I just have to add a third observation, which I can't believe myself...

Qantas returned the seat to the award pool
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: AY+ Silver
Is it possible to get award flights on JL Premium Economy using AY+? I can see avail during the Olympics to HND but no idea how many points are needed since it isn't specified in AY pages.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Finally an improvement, albeit small.

Earlier, booking Finnair awards, they forced you to accept the next possible connection, but now you are allowed to have <24hrs connection. More time for LoungWing!
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by FFlash
Finally an improvement, albeit small.

Earlier, booking Finnair awards, they forced you to accept the next possible connection, but now you are allowed to have <24hrs connection. More time for LoungWing!
Am I too debbie-downer if I say it sounds like a perfect opportunity for a future "enhancement", ie using married-segment logics to forbid awards on the next possible connection?
I mean, this is already done on most sales fare, where advertised price is only valid on the 8h+ connections and the short connection option is several hundreds more expensive.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Am I too debbie-downer if I say it sounds like a perfect opportunity for a future "enhancement", ie using married-segment logics to forbid awards on the next possible connection?
I mean, this is already done on most sales fare, where advertised price is only valid on the 8h+ connections and the short connection option is several hundreds more expensive.
why do they do that in the first place?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:46 am
Moderator, Finnair

I guess in order to cash in on what they think is their USP: "the shortest route to asia".
They want to lure you into the site with a price as low as the competition, and then offer a better connection at a higher price.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
why do they do that in the first place?
QR does the same, and I suppose they aren’t the only ones. It’s very simple: the more convenient, the more expensive.

Nonstops usually cost a lot more than a one-stop option. Logic has it that a convenient one-stop costs more than an inconvenient one.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:32 am
Original Poster

They are already doing it with awards too I thought a marriedsegment rule is the reason. Luckily I have found that you can go around it sometimes when availabilit is there by searching separate legs and calling in AY. Done that many times, but not always working though.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:55 am
Original Poster

just stumbled across this site and found this useful enough. Minor errors in info but alright

https://upgradedpoints.com/best-ways...ir-plus-miles/
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:36 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by FFlash
just stumbled across this site and found this useful enough. Minor errors in info but alright

https://upgradedpoints.com/best-ways...ir-plus-miles/
Minor errors? The author apparently hasn't understood that miles =/= kilometres; i.e., that the whole AY+ operates in kms (earnings and spendings), not just the RTW table of distance allowed. The 10k upgrade suggests it's per way, not segment. The 15k Nordic award isn't one-way. I guess it could continue.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Just minor errors = british polite language for the finnish ”äijä ei oo kartalla”
vulle, on22cz, Steve_Hun and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: AY Platinum
I hadn't paid attention to the distance based Oneworld awads option before.

Sorry if I'm a bit slow but how does it work: is the idea that the award should always be round-the-world (or within one continent only)? How else would you fulfill the rule: "You may travel within a continent. Backtracking limitations exist: you must travel from continent to continent in a continuous westward or eastward direction, crossing the Atlantic and Pacific oceans once only."

The rules on AY web page regarding the number of carriers are conflicting between the English and Finnish web page: The Finnish version says that the award "consists of flights of AY + two other OW carriers or by two OW carriers" whereas the English (and Swedish and German) versions talk about "AY + at least two OW" carriers OR "two OW carriers [without mentioning if two is minimum or maximum in case of AY not being among the carriers]. So probably the Finnish page is wrong in this regard and you can have any number of OW carriers in your award, with a minimum of two non-AY carriers.

Has any of you guys booked these distance-based OW awards?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:37 am
Moderator, Finnair

a) The bactracking rule is from RTW type of trips, yes. E.g. you can book it as a simple return without breaking the backtracking rule.

b) the limitation text is wrong as a few FT'ers have reported. There was a discussion not long ago where I also referred to that anomaly where the option without AY said it should be exactly 2 carriers, and a few reported back that they had no issues with a large number of carriers on a ticket.
So it should probably read "at least 2" in all cases and locales. A perhaps better text is that it requires at least 2 different OW carriers that are not AY.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Ok, thanks intuition ! So basically you could take e.g. a JL flight from HEL, bounce back and forth within Asia and eventually return back to HEL from any Asian OW destination?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.