Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:30 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by a_k
LAX-HEL a month from now... No U availability but what chances a waitlist might clear?
Pretty interesting.
I'm not sure what date you are looking at, but if I look at what AY is selling on the route in a month, prices are generally in the 7000$ range, one way. In R Classic campaign.
If they actually can move the seats at that price, it spells bad luck for U. But who knows.

I'm on LAX-HEL in slightly less than a month. I've been on waitlist for 5 months, and nothing.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by a_k
LAX-HEL a month from now... No U availability but what chances a waitlist might clear?
I'm seeing the same availability for the flights in April to Asia, wonder what are the chances for upgrades to those to clear.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Clarity_
I'm seeing the same availability for the flights in April to Asia, wonder what are the chances for upgrades to those to clear.
April is really far away, so I would not try to draw any conclusion out of current availability.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:55 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I tested those numbers for revenue bookings. As all buckes has 9, it should be possible to book 9 passengers in the lowest fare class.
But I was not able to do that on finnair.com. If I tried to book for 9 pax, either it returned "No flights available". or it returned a price and bucket in the high end. Eg. 1 pax was bookable at 7 000$ while 9 pax was bookable at 11 000$ each.

Not an exhaustive test and maybe somehing else was at play during my test, but seeing J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 in EF may or may not indicate they actually have 9 seats free.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:50 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by intuition
I tested those numbers for revenue bookings. As all buckes has 9, it should be possible to book 9 passengers in the lowest fare class.
But I was not able to do that on finnair.com. If I tried to book for 9 pax, either it returned "No flights available". or it returned a price and bucket in the high end. Eg. 1 pax was bookable at 7 000$ while 9 pax was bookable at 11 000$ each.

Not an exhaustive test and maybe somehing else was at play during my test, but seeing J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 in EF may or may not indicate they actually have 9 seats free.
Sorry but 7000USD - 11000USD on AY are simply insane. If these are the prices for the future, I rather switch to Zoom and stay home.

I just wonder how I can use my points and vouchers in 2023 and onwards.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

Of course it is insane, a lot of their pricing is.
To be fair, OP talked about trips one month out, and there are dates with cheaper options:

But the J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 cannot be correct numbers, as 9 pax are only bookable in flex and J class, pushing even the "cheap" 6100$ price to well above 11 000$ pp
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:15 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Wrong thread

Last edited by a_k; Sep 23, 2022 at 4:16 am Reason: Wrong thread
Old Sep 24, 2022, 12:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by intuition

This is an interesting datapoint, thank you. I was under the impression that 9s accross the board (even with no I class available) would mean a rather empty cabin, but looks like it might not be. But then it could also be their booking engine doing weird things, or maybe a point of sale issue?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: AY Plat
Is it possible to book award flights via AY website only if I am AY+ member or can I do it from other OW airlines directly?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Clarity_
Is it possible to book award flights via AY website only if I am AY+ member or can I do it from other OW airlines directly?
If you are using OW airline miles you use their website, if using AY+ pesos then use AY site
Clarity_ likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:56 pm

I have two upgrade vouchers that expire at the end of this year. If I waitlist for upgrade on a 2023 flight and it fails, do I lose the vouchers?

And what is the longest in advance that upgrade/awards requests clear for platinum members?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:36 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by RealtimeY
I have two upgrade vouchers that expire at the end of this year. If I waitlist for upgrade on a 2023 flight and it fails, do I lose the vouchers?

And what is the longest in advance that upgrade/awards requests clear for platinum members?
Yes, you forfeit the vouchers if a waitlist doesn’t clear post expiry. IRC you can request an upgrade as a Plat at 360 days out.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:18 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
I've waitlisted a business award booking for BUD-HEL-BUD. When can one expect an "answer" for it? With upgrades we know that there are the "milestone" days, where the computer does checks. Does this exist for the award waitlist as well? Afterall, it is from the same fare bucket... And if so, are they the same days as with the upgrade?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I've waitlisted a business award booking for BUD-HEL-BUD. When can one expect an "answer" for it? With upgrades we know that there are the "milestone" days, where the computer does checks. Does this exist for the award waitlist as well? Afterall, it is from the same fare bucket... And if so, are they the same days as with the upgrade?
Longest I’ve waited is about 10 days but then again that was when I booked a few months out. I called about a day before it cleared and the rep tried to encourage me to drop the waitlist as he didn’t think it was going to go thru as apparently someone already tried to clear it, luckily I held onto it and it cleared the next morning.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
So what's with the non-availability of shorthaul Y rewards? I had to book a bunch of LHR rewards over the Aug-Dec period and also some to ARN - only C available (narrow body only to LHR ) no Y availability at all. OTOH to LHR in Sep even upgrade was not available...

PS - so completely different experience from Steve_Hun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.