Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Award flights question

Since I have zero miles currently, all tied up in booked flights I’m considering purchasing points with the latest promo. When I search for business HEL to US I see 160k points available. I can’t remember if I’ve put in 2 persons if it’s 80k x2 or 160k per person for this one. New to booking with this program but think it’s 80k each one way or not available for points. Correct? Since I cant select and proceed I cant be for sure.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Long-haul award flights in J with Finnair are 80K one way or 160K return. (Flight operated and marketed by AY)

You can find the whole chart at: Use points on Finnair award flights | Finnair Finland
Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:18 pm

80k per person
Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Partyzant
80k per person
Thanks. One more question. Is it possible to fly HEL to USA with another segment added in US on a oneworld airline(Alaska or AA). Not possible online but thought maybe by phone, chat.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Long-haul award flights in J with Finnair are 80K one way or 160K return. (Flight operated and marketed by AY)

You can find the whole chart at: Use points on Finnair award flights | Finnair Finland
thanks. I’m going to book it just wondering if I can add an Alaska flight on end
Old Sep 17, 2022, 8:46 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
Thanks. One more question. Is it possible to fly HEL to USA with another segment added in US on a oneworld airline(Alaska or AA). Not possible online but thought maybe by phone, chat.
Given availability you are not restricted to AY. But you have to check then the partner award table.

For AA it is 126k points one-way and 210k return. Also taxes & fees might be significantly higher.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:40 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Given availability you are not restricted to AY. But you have to check then the partner award table.

For AA it is 126k points one-way and 210k return. Also taxes & fees might be significantly higher.
Points are higher with partners, taxes can be higher, as you say, but for OP’s case (AA/AS in the US) the taxes are very low of course.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: AY Plat
I'm thinking about using my points to get an award flight HEL-ICN (return) at the beginning of April, however when I look for availability on Finnair website, I see very limited dates for award tickets and no business class availability at all. According to EF all the business class seats are empty (I know this is not a good indication of actual availability). Does it make sense to contact AY CS or is there a better way to search for award flights? Also I wonder if they will release some business class seats later on?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The eternal question...

As for alternative ways to search, there are numerous options mentioned in this thread. Expertflyer, awardnexus qantas.com, ba.com comes to mind.

IMHO, what you see is what you get. There is no "hidden" availability that can be released for you. Finnair is extremely stingy when it comes to longhaul award/upgrade space, especially in business on longhaul operations. Yes, it is possible they release U later on. Is it likely? No, not in my experience.

This is just my 2 cents, and I'm sure someone will soon tell you the opposite (they have all the award space they want and their waitlisted upgrades always clears).
Clarity_ likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:15 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Originally Posted by Clarity_
I'm thinking about using my points to get an award flight HEL-ICN (return) at the beginning of April, however when I look for availability on Finnair website, I see very limited dates for award tickets and no business class availability at all. According to EF all the business class seats are empty (I know this is not a good indication of actual availability). Does it make sense to contact AY CS or is there a better way to search for award flights? Also I wonder if they will release some business class seats later on?
I would ask platsapp to waitlist, wait one week if it clears. You can always cancel and get points back (you dont pay taxes for waitlist).
My experiences are that U0 and seemingly empty J, been cleared next day from waitlist. Routes have been LAX and SIN, waitlisted 6 months out.
Dont know if being lumo helps more vs plat.
Clarity_ likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: AY Plat
Thanks for the replies, maybe I'll ask WA chat if there's gonna be extra availability. I'm also a bit wary of booking LH flights so far in advance as AY has been recently cancelling/changing them left and right.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:03 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Jorma
I would ask platsapp to waitlist, wait one week if it clears. ....
Can whatsapp customer service really waitlist you for an award? How is that done? What class is the ticket booked into while you wait for the waitlist to be processed? Who pays for that ticket during the week you wait for waitlist!?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
Can whatsapp customer service really waitlist you for an award? How is that done? What class is the ticket booked into while you wait for the waitlist to be processed? Who pays for that ticket during the week you wait for waitlist!?
You are booked in X/U, but it is not confirmed, of course, just waitlisted. Points are taken immediately. If the waitlist clears, you pay the taxes and get your e-ticket.
intuition likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:11 am
Moderator, Finnair

Wow, interesting.
Then it is pointless to use the booking tool and trying to be flexible. Just book with WA on the desired dates. If it doesn't clear, Rinse/repeat.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:12 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Originally Posted by intuition
Jonotuslistalle ei ole mahdollista tehdä lentopalkintoa, jos matkaasi liittyy lentoja, jotka on toisen lentoyhtiön lentämiä. Eli jonoon onnistuu vain Finnairin suorille lennoille (Esimerkiksi HEL-SIN-HEL olisi OK). Sopisiko tuo jonotuslistavaraus HEL-SIN-HEL ja jos kyllä, mille päiville haluaisit tehdä varauksen ja jos matkaan osallistuisi useampi matkustaja, saisinko matkustajien nimet?
Thats from my conversation with platsapp when booking.

What class the ticket is booked, i dont know. I just go to J, kulkematta lähtöruudun kautta. And no ticket was issued when on waitlist (to me atleast).

Points were taken when going to waitlist, taxes and fees came with email link when cleared (2x separate ones).

---edit i was slow to answer...
intuition and Clarity_ like this.

Last edited by Jorma; Sep 21, 2022 at 4:14 am Reason: Slow :/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.