Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by remymartin
I've seen something similar. BA Gold saw more than AY lifetime Basic. I didn't save those data points, but would be nice to reflect now.
Years ago I used to see BA give extra award space in economy class to BA Golds and even AA EXPs. And AA used to provide extra award space to AA EXPs in economy class. Maybe AY has a similar thing going on. For what it's worth, for at least a while, that X/T (IIRC) distinction when using AA miles for BA flights with the extra inventory for elites used to often result in earning mileage credit for the extra inventory award ticket flight(s). Back in the day, I could end up with a de facto 10% or so rebate on the miles I redeemed for the award ticket with such flights.

If AY has such a thing going on too and at this point, it may be worthwhile to try to put in a partner airline FFP number to see what happens.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by intuition
I can replicate this on CPH-HEL, so it is not only domestic flights. There is a difference in what flights are available for a Plat and a basic.

However, for those flights that are available to both, the same number of seats (8!) are open to both a basic and a plat. This is me after only one try, but that strike me as odd. It seems they are not controlling number of seats per tier but only a binary choice if a flight is redeemable or not.
It was that kind of thing with BA and/or AA too. So it doesn't strike me as odd if the objective is to give some extra economy class award space on short-haul flights to at least some sub-set of its FFP elites and maybe even also some sub-set of the elites of other Oneworld programs from at least the carriers closest to AY. This begs the question if maybe BA gets extra AY economy class award inventory for BA Golds. Does BA? remymartin's post suggests BA got that from AY.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I guess there are many ways to do it (still, if they actually are doing it or if it is just anomalies). I thought they would create a special fare bucket and then use the normal tools to assign some availability to it. Instead I found avilability to be binary and that was what I thought to be odd. Releasing 0 or 8+ seats on a flight is a pretty blunt tool.

Anyway, anyone with OW partner elite cards can try out the availability for the screendumps (the sample dates in my and HJP's screenshot are 2019-02-09--2019-02-15)

Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Anyway, anyone with OW partner elite cards can try out the availability for the screendumps (the sample dates in my and HJP's screenshot are 2019-02-09--2019-02-15)
BA Silver (OWS) HEL-KTT-HEL:

BA Silver (OWS) CPH-HEL-CPH:
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
So a BA silver has better availabilty than AY gold.

Meaning this is not preferntial tereatment to elites, this is designed to limit availabilty to AY gold, silver and basic.

Last edited by intuition; Nov 24, 2018 at 6:44 am Reason: didn't read that screenshot right - at all!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
So a BA silver has better availabilty than AY gold.

Meaning this is not preferntial tereatment to elites, this is designed to limit availabilty to AY gold, silver and basic.
If I'm seeing things correctly, the availability temppa is seeing as a BA Silver is the same as the availability you're seeing as AY basic (screenshot on the left).

This is what I see when I'm logged into AA (as a Platinum, or OWS, member):

This is what I see when logged in as AY Platinum

Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
If I'm seeing things correctly, the availability temppa is seeing as a BA Silver is the same as the availability you're seeing as AY basic (screenshot on the left)..
Absolutely! My mistake, not used to the BA-layout, I just counted four flights compared to the two outbound flights a AY basic saw and didn't realise BA shows the returns in the same column
(where is the shameful smiley when you need one?!!)
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Absolutely! My mistake, not used to the BA-layout, I just counted four flights compared to the two outbound flights a AY basic saw and didn't realise BA shows the returns in the same column
(where is the shameful smiley when you need one?!!)
I had to look at it a couple times myself! At first, I quickly counted and thought the same thing as you did, but I couldn't believe that AY would open more space to partners than its own members. Luckily, that's not the case

It looks like the same phenomenon holds true for business class. For example, if I do a one-way search for HEL-HKG on 31/01/2019:

The same thing on 26/01/2019:

Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I have very limited experience but when I wanted to redeem AA miles as AA basic, I found practically no availability HEL-JFK on AY, however as AY Plat, availability was wide open. This was last spring.
esledo likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
How would you guys feel about HEL-AGP (Malaga)-HEL award flights' value in J during the holiday seasons with A330? One could probably not expect the level of service some have received recently in DXB flights but the flight is relatively long and the proper J seat would definitely give some added value for this. In DXB flights they have served the LH wines. Could that be expected for these AGP flights as well?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:43 am

My guess is that AGP will be normal EU service, just like on A350 to LHR. Y style pillow and blanket, Y headphones, Euro-J meals. Still worth 10k points as it's a long flight.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I've started to look for my probably first ever AY redemption. We're planning with the family a holiday to MIA in Dec 2019 (early, returning before christmas but departing around Finnish independence day). How early does AY release award space? And how likely is it that they would release 3-4 business seats on the direct flight to me as Platinum (will be also that in Dec 2019)? I'm considering to use hard cash, maybe ex-ARN, for my own ticket but would like to minimize the cost for family.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Would it not be better to buy your own good value ARN ticket in J and then get family in Y and ug them with 50k both ways each? The LH taxes for award flights are almost the same as the Y ticket?

Sorry if this is bad logic. I'm very new to this, but facing a similar situation.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:44 pm

My suggestion would be to call them as early as possible, when the cabin is still empty. It's unlikely they would release 4 seats in U so you'd neet o waitlist anyway.

Might be a bit complicated to combine family's award tickets and your own cash ticket – perhaps easier in this case to just book everyone on awards and make a separate DEL run or whatever if you need the points. Or ask them about the possibility to book J for yourself and Y for family, then use points to upgrade (50k both ways). The cost between Y and X isn't that big (due to YQ), and this way your family will also get some points.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by kanamurva
Would it not be better to buy your own good value ARN ticket in J and then get family in Y and ug them with 50k both ways each? The LH taxes for award flights are almost the same as the Y ticket?

Sorry if this is bad logic. I'm very new to this, but facing a similar situation.
Yes, that is definitely on the radar and something I have thought about! Is probably even my preferred scenario. At the moment the price I see for finnair.fi is quite a bit higher than what itamatrix gives, but I'm hoping that will change once we get 2-3 months into the year.

But can I be certain that there will be 3 upgrades available both ways?

I should have mentioned, that I sent a mail to platinum desk to ask whether they think it's likely that the award space will open up and also asking whether they have any recommendations/experiences. Testing a bit what they can be used for... Not holding my breath.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.