Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New route to LAX, starting spring 2019, three times a week with A350

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New route to LAX, starting spring 2019, three times a week with A350

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by kanamurva
Is there normally some special service in inaugural flight J?
I was in the inaugural HEL-SFO flight in J last year. Only a small gift and some live music aboard... the menu was somewhat better than usually.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I am interested in feedback on this LAX-HEL route as it starts. I am considering it for the summer season. Always great to see more choice here and with the 350.

Also, if AY does any specials for the HEL stopover, I am curious where to look as most HEL connecting flights will need to be the next day. If there are suggested posts about HEL overnight stopover suggestions (hotels/related), those thread links are appreciated.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Does SeatAlerts in EF App show economy load accurately i.e. in classes where seat selection is not typical, are seats still assigned? If yes, based on few data points I would not expect long life expectamcy for LAX, loads look less than 20% for flights within 1-2months. Then on one hand, have not seen that much campaigns either so maybe EF is not to be trusted.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:23 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Does SeatAlerts in EF App show economy load accurately i.e. in classes where seat selection is not typical, are seats still assigned? If yes, based on few data points I would not expect long life expectamcy for LAX, loads look less than 20% for flights within 1-2months. Then on one hand, have not seen that much campaigns either so maybe EF is not to be trusted.
Dont trust it, it only shows seats for those who are either able to select free of charge (elites, pro fares?) and other pax who pay for a seat. Many Y pax are w/o an assigned seat. For J the picture is more accurate.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
That is what i suspected, so with 10 seats taken in J, either one should expect first class level personal service or "lomanoloinen" -service that is handled by Y FA's when they have free time. Remains too see which one, but definately doesnt seem to be premium-heavy service vs. BA's LAX, I wonder why
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:14 am

10 seats taken 1-2 months out might not be that bad really? I know some, myself included, who are not overly eager about the AY 359 J....I know it is direct but regardless I prefer the 333 to JFK and AA 321T from there, immigration done en route so when in LAX you can just walk out. Long day but I prefer the 333, love AA 321T J, JFK Flagship is nice and the extra points don’t hurt either. Doing this again soon and selected it over the direct 359 service, which is great for many, I’m sure..I’m just not a fan of the (AY) 359 J and avoid it when easily arranged.
napapiiri likes this.

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Mar 10, 2019 at 1:20 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
10 seats taken 1-2 months out might not be that bad really? I know some, myself included, who are not overly eager about the AY 359 J....I know it is direct but regardless I prefer the 333 to JFK and AA 321T from there, immigration done en route so when in LAX you can just walk out. Long day but I prefer the 333, love AA 321T J, JFK Flagship is nice and the extra points don’t hurt either. Doing this again soon and selected it over the direct 359 service, which is great for many, I’m sure..I’m just not a fan of the (AY) 359 J and avoid it when easily arranged.
I also generally prefer the A333 J seat to the A359 J seat. But I do find that the higher humidity of the A359 cabin does (for me) make a significant difference in terms of how well I feel after a long flight. Therefore, in terms of overall comfort, I would probably call it a wash. And although it has declined in quality over the years, the QF F lounge is still the best lounge in the United States in my opinion (I recognize that only Plats and other OWE would have access).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
And although it has declined in quality over the years, the QF F lounge is still the best lounge in the United States in my opinion (I recognize that only Plats and other OWE would have access).
Yeah I didn’t touch the LAX lounges, QF F is just great there, just pointing to JFK flagship being nice as that’s where the transit to LAX happens when coming with AY and avoiding the 359.
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I just checked prices on AY to LAX - I can t see a reason why I should pay roughly a 1000€ premium compared to other airlines (LOT/SAS). AY play this game with competitive prices, if they don t there is not much reason to go on board of the A350 - just a cramped medicore experience.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive

I also generally prefer the A333 J seat to the A359 J seat. But I do find that the higher humidity of the A359 cabin does (for me) make a significant difference in terms of how well I feel after a long flight. Therefore, in terms of overall comfort, I would probably call it a wash. And although it has declined in quality over the years, the QF F lounge is still the best lounge in the United States in my opinion (I recognize that only Plats and other OWE would have access).
Good thing is that the QF lounge is accessible for both those who prefer A350 direct and those who like to fly with AA to JFK to get on A330.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Oh I am quite sure AY will normalize fares after the route actually launches later this month, and they get a better idea of load factors.

In terms of LAX lounges, my ranking is as such:

1) QF F lounge (dine on demand primarily)
2) AA LAX Flagship (remember TBIT is connected to T4 airside) (access rules indicates those flying OW Business or First such as on AY or OWE/OWS)
3) QF/OW Business lounge (very crowded)

Not many people understand the AA LAX Flagship access for OW flights and that is okay with me. I definitely enjoyed the AA LAX Flagship food over the QF Business. All you will need to do is scan your AY boarding pass for AA or QF even if you do not get an AY invitation. OW airlines like BA routinely do not mention access to the AA lounge in T4, it is an only if you know situation.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by on22cz

Good thing is that the QF lounge is accessible for both those who prefer A350 direct and those who like to fly with AA to JFK to get on A330.
Indeed, and to add to these old school fixations, this old fart also likes BA 747 UD so that's my choice from the West Coast, as long as the Queen of Skies is still flying. Connecting via JFK on the way back is not to my liking that much, early morning departure...I rather "waste" the next day at LHR/up in the air.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by on22cz

Technically, yes. Although the early morning departure from LAX needed to connect to AY6 (I'd say the 8:00 flight is the latest one I'd use, and I'd probably choose the 7:00 flight just to be safe) doesn't leave a whole lot of time to actually enjoy the lounge. QF F doesn't open until 6:30, I believe.

AA Flagship—which, as someone else has pointed out, is perfectly fine—opens much earlier.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Indeed, and to add to these old school fixations, this old fart also likes BA 747 UD so that's my choice from the West Coast, as long as the Queen of Skies is still flying. Connecting via JFK on the way back is not to my liking that much, early morning departure...I rather "waste" the next day at LHR/up in the air.
Indeed the BA 747 UD is a pleasure, although for me it has to be a window seat (and preferably 62 A/K). Those tend to get taken fast in my experience.

Side note, I saw the BA 747 with the 100-year-anniversary retro livery at LAX the other day. She was a beauty!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:24 pm

Indeed the BA 747 UD is a pleasure, although for me it has to be a window seat (and preferably 62 A/K). Those tend to get taken fast in my experience.
Yes, my old handle truly fails with the BA UD, 62K/A that is when free...same with the current AY J throne seats...big time YesWindowSeat...it's more from the 2+2/3+2 config AY M11 era..
flyingeph12 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.