Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Narrowbody flights to China?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by intuition
A HEL-URC could easily be served by narrow-body and fit well into a "central asia strategy" with TSE as example.
No major airline flies URC. OW has no flights, Star has connecting flights via east asia.

That said, a long-haul or even medium-haul in narrowbody without J class and proper seats/space is not for me.
S7 fly from DME to URC but it's a bit sporadic, so it does have a OW flight, albeit patchy.

I do think that central asia/west china is going to become one of the next big growth regions so Finnair might pull a masterstroke and be the ones to lead the way in flights to this region.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ffay005
Flying to India, the routing does go over Russian airspace but it's not exactly trans-Siberian. Are these flights incuded in the overfly quota or not?
No. Siberian rights are to/from Japan, Korea, China.

Why (exl. money) would anyone take marsu cage from India to HEL and then continue to US? Absolutely crazy idea.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
S7 fly from DME to URC but it's a bit sporadic, so it does have a OW flight, albeit patchy.

I do think that central asia/west china is going to become one of the next big growth regions so Finnair might pull a masterstroke and be the ones to lead the way in flights to this region.
Oh, you are right. I did search before I posted and did not see any flights ex URC. Now I see there is S7 schedule to both DME and OVB, with plenty onward connections to continental Europe

URC is a 22 million area IIRC but city is only 3,5 million, so much smaller than the other cities targeted by AY. I know very little about URC but I have a hunch it could be something big.

Last edited by intuition; Jun 25, 2018 at 11:47 am
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Vauramo must assume that AY would get more Siberian overflight rights if needed (as they have this far) and that European LCC's would not be granted these rights.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
Oh, you are right. I did search before I posted and did not see any flights ex URC. Now I see there is S7 schedule to both DME and OVB, with plenty onward connections to continental Europe

URC is a 22 million area IIRC but city is only 3,5 million, so much smaller than the other cities targeted by AY. I know very little about URC but I have a hunch it could be something big.

I think you are right, Ive started fly to URC regularly for work. The region is going through a lot of development in energy and agriculture and it's driving a lot of growth.

At the moment I have been flying to ICN and getting Koreans direct flight to URC. Its a long way around but I can work it in with other work, but I will have to look at new options in winter when the Korean flights stop. S7 only fly 3 times a week and once a week in winter IIRCand its has some awful layovers or extras segments through Germany when flying Ex LHR so I will probably end up flying to Hong Kong and crossing to SZX or possibly mainland china and getting an internal .

Flying international into URC is a pain because of the extra security checks when departing, its the most stringent I've had anywhere in the world
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
URC has rather stricter visa requirements than the rest of China, so it would get basically inbound traffic. As for outbound traffic, I gather it is one of the poorer regions, so ...
clubeurope and Superrman like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
I think you are right, Ive started fly to URC regularly for work. The region is going through a lot of development in energy and agriculture and it's driving a lot of growth.

At the moment I have been flying to ICN and getting Koreans direct flight to URC. Its a long way around but I can work it in with other work, but I will have to look at new options in winter when the Korean flights stop. S7 only fly 3 times a week and once a week in winter IIRCand its has some awful layovers or extras segments through Germany when flying Ex LHR so I will probably end up flying to Hong Kong and crossing to SZX or possibly mainland china and getting an internal .

Flying international into URC is a pain because of the extra security checks when departing, its the most stringent I've had anywhere in the world
China southern has service to URC from DXB, LED and SVO. Air Astana has service to URC from ALA and TSE. Using these you can be un URC from LHR in under 9 hours. https://www.flightconnections.com/

URC is a pian to get to even from inside China...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
China southern has service to URC from DXB, LED and SVO. Air Astana has service to URC from ALA and TSE. Using these you can be un URC from LHR in under 9 hours. https://www.flightconnections.com/

URC is a pian to get to even from inside China...
None of them are OW which is my go to for status reasons. I did almost go on PIA via RWP just for the experience.

I have other clients in Hong Kong so I think I will fly into there and make my way round that way, its slower than going through the middle of asia so to speak but I'll kill two birds with 1 and a half stone
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Narrowbody long haul sounds awful to me - unless it is all-business configured like the BA BabyBus...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
Narrowbody long haul sounds awful to me - unless it is all-business configured like the BA BabyBus...
Well, AA’s A321T is actually quite nice.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Trav1970

Well, AA’s A321T is actually quite nice.
As long as you are not sitting at the very back of the bus. Regular Y's leg space is painfully small for a 193cm tall guy. MCE is already a nice (Y) experience and anything above that is great on those planes!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
I don't know about that. Yeah, the current A321 with its hard seats and small pitch are terrible and even in exit row, a six-hour flight to LPA is very uncomfortable. But if they equip the A321 with lie-flats in J and proper seats in Y, with a few rows of Y+, then I don't think an 8-hour flight to China would be substantially different from a widebody. I suppose the biggest difference would be limited overhead bin space in Y, where seating is 6-abreast compared to 8-abreast on the A330 with double the bin space.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Todays standard A321 can carry 219 pax in all Y config if you install slim galleys and space flex lavs. While this should be sufficient for a hop to N. Africa from Europe, for low costers to KEF or a transcon in the US, I doubt the Europe China market will accept such product.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:10 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Independent just published a story about how the dreamliner isn't revolutionising the long thin routes, but the narrow bodies are.
Nothing substantial in the article, but perhaps an interesting read.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I wonder if RVN-PEK is one of the routes AY is considering. It's even shorter than HEL-PEK, there's probably close to zero J demand and positioning the plane to and from HEL would work nicely with a narrowbody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.