FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Finnair City Bus vs Rideways? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1912426-finnair-city-bus-vs-rideways.html)

OhDoctor Jun 3, 2018 6:19 am

Finnair City Bus vs Rideways?

Was looking for ways to get from HEL to the F6. Any thoughts on using Rideways booked via the Finnair website (as opposed to the FInnair City Bus)? I was under the impression a taxi would be ~50 euros, and so we were going to take the bus, but Finnair Rideways is offering private transport for about 35 euros, which doesn't seem terribly expensive.

Anyone have experience with Rideways as opposed to taking the Finnair City Bus?

CorporateFlyer Jun 3, 2018 10:34 pm

have always used the Finnair City Bus which is an excellent, comfortable and reliable service (only one stop prior to the station) and is very competitively priced

deissi Jun 4, 2018 1:39 am

The Finnair City Bus only takes you to the central railway station, and it's about a 1 km walk from there to hotel F6. If you don't mind the walk, I recommend taking a train from the airport to the city (also stops at the central railway station) as it's faster and cheaper (EUR 5 one way).

A taxi would be about EUR 50, so EUR 35 is a competitive price. No experience from using that service, though.

NoWindowSeat Jun 4, 2018 2:26 am

"FixuTaxi" - found on AppStore and Android also, they have fixed 35eur to airport from city, no idea yet if it works to the city, too.

Courmisch Jun 4, 2018 10:08 am

Originally Posted by deissi (Post 29826058)
I recommend taking a train from the airport to the city (also stops at the central railway station) as it's faster and cheaper (EUR 5 one way).

It's 28 minutes through Tik. and 32 minutes through Hpl. But I think the ticket is 5,5€ ?
(Well, I hold a zone 2 period ticket, so I never buy one-ways.)

OhDoctor Jun 4, 2018 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch (Post 29827379)
It's 28 minutes through Tik. and 32 minutes through Hpl. But I think the ticket is 5,5€ ?
(Well, I hold a zone 2 period ticket, so I never buy one-ways.)

Would Tik. and Hpl. be the I and P trains, respectively? If so, it sounds like the I train would be the way to go. I guess if it's really only 11 euros for the two of us and is easy/efficient we'll opt for that instead of Rideways.

Nevermind: I see that the I and P trains just run in opposite directions on the heart-shaped track. From the airport P is a little faster.

deissi Jun 4, 2018 10:29 am

Yes, they are the I & P trains. It usually makes sense to take whichever train arrives first. The ticket is EUR 5 when purchased from a vending machine (which is the only way to get a ticket at the airport). It's EUR 5,50 only when bought from a bus driver.

lkrt Jun 4, 2018 10:31 am

I never take the train if travelling all the way to Helsinki central station: the walk at the airport to the train platform is almost as long as walking all the way to the city center.

Courmisch Jun 4, 2018 10:58 am

Originally Posted by OhDoctor (Post 29827422)
Would Tik. and Hpl. be the I and P trains, respectively? If so, it sounds like the I train would be the way to go. I guess if it's really only 11 euros for the two of us and is easy/efficient we'll opt for that instead of Rideways.

Nevermind: I see that the I and P trains just run in opposite directions on the heart-shaped track. From the airport P is a little faster.

Yes so that's why I remember the branch name, not the line name.

lento Jun 4, 2018 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch (Post 29827379)
But I think the ticket is 5,5€ ?

If used HSL Mobile ticket app, it is 4,20€. App accepts credit cards.

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat (Post 29826127)
"FixuTaxi" - found on AppStore and Android also, they have fixed 35eur to airport from city, no idea yet if it works to the city, too.

I have understood that 35€ rate starts from 1st of July.

Update: I understood wrong. Just checked the app and it shows 34€ from City centre to the Airport and 35€ in opposite direction.

remymartin Jun 5, 2018 5:57 am

I tried the train once to an airport hotel and it was awful. The Finnair bus doesn’t stop every three minutes and you have storage for your checked bag. So either the bus or taxi/taxi-like entity would be my recommendation.

OhDoctor Jun 5, 2018 7:53 am

Originally Posted by remymartin (Post 29830721)
I tried the train once to an airport hotel and it was awful. The Finnair bus doesn’t stop every three minutes and you have storage for your checked bag. So either the bus or taxi/taxi-like entity would be my recommendation.

Hmm.. just when I was sold on the train. :confused:

r2d2 Jun 5, 2018 9:33 am

Originally Posted by OhDoctor (Post 29831069)
Hmm.. just when I was sold on the train. :confused:

I guess the preference depends on what you are used to. The train to the Helsinki airport is not a dedicated airport train but a local train that just happens to stop at the airport. If you are used to riding subways or trains, there's nothing awful about the trains in Helsinki. The experience is pretty similar to taking the BART from SFO.

Purjelentaja Jun 5, 2018 11:14 am

Originally Posted by r2d2 (Post 29831421)
I guess the preference depends on what you are used to. The train to the Helsinki airport is not a dedicated airport train but a local train that just happens to stop at the airport. If you are used to riding subways or trains, there's nothing awful about the trains in Helsinki. The experience is pretty similar to taking the BART from SFO.

Except that the local train is new, clean, comfortable and quiet.

Andaman Jun 6, 2018 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja (Post 29831867)
Except that the local train is new, clean, comfortable and quiet.

Yeah the Ring Line train to/from the airport is really nice, only thing is the limited storage room. There's an underground passageway from the HEL terminal to the station, in Helsinki you can transfer to metro/tram/bus with the same ticket (5e 2-zone ticket valid 80 min, 7,20e 3-zone ticket valid 100 min). Buy tickets in advance, from the R-kiosk or use a ticket machine.