Finnair City Bus vs Rideways?

Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question is there a shuttle to the train stn?

Originally Posted by lkrt
I never take the train if travelling all the way to Helsinki central station: the walk at the airport to the train platform is almost as long as walking all the way to the city center.
Is there a complimentary shuttle?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
No, but the escalators down to the station are complimentary

Yesterday I got my bag at baggage claim 2B at 15:05. I came across a few friends in the arrival hall, chatted with them a minute or two, and then continued to the train station. The 15:11 train had just left when I got to the station and I waited for a while for the 15:14 train.
vulle likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Indeed, if one is used to commuting daily, the train is probably not as bad as I described - unless you have 1-2 big suitcases. My walk to the bus/train station is of equal length and Id rather pay 1.9 more for the bus due to plenty of storage, a/c, WiFi, only 1 stop and last but not least, points for payment with Amex
napapiiri likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Except that the local train is new, clean, comfortable and quiet.
Normally there's some loud git drinking beer and causing a commotion on board the train. (Probably me)
remymartin likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Andaman
Yeah the Ring Line train to/from the airport is really nice, only thing is the limited storage room.
If you have a large bag, you can use the large carriage section for bikes and trolleys.
ffay005, cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
This came me to think of a case. When you are connecting from/to long-distance trains, your VR train ticket includes the transfer to/from Pasila or Tikkurila station to/from HEL, but the catch is to always remember ordering your ticket with departure/arrival to/from HEL instead of Pasila or Helsinki or Tikkurila. Sometimes plans are moving and flexible and you may not remember to do this, something which happened to me lately. Then, as the ticket inspector on the P-train came I had to buy a "new ticket" for the ring rail, while I tried to explain that I am connecting and that is always then free, but no gain to explain that fact. Very silly design IMO - I think a better solution would be that if you hold a longdistance train ticket within an hour or so, your transfer within ring rail should be free just like that.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
HSL probably gets some payment from VR for the ticket, if it's bought to HEL.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by cistavoda
Normally there's some loud git drinking beer and causing a commotion on board the train. (Probably me)

You Forgot to say "and wearing earphones so he cant hear the train drivers announcements nor the trains BELLS 😁" ref Aviapolis 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FFlash
This came me to think of a case. When you are connecting from/to long-distance trains, your VR train ticket includes the transfer to/from Pasila or Tikkurila station to/from HEL, but the catch is to always remember ordering your ticket with departure/arrival to/from HEL instead of Pasila or Helsinki or Tikkurila. Sometimes plans are moving and flexible and you may not remember to do this, something which happened to me lately. Then, as the ticket inspector on the P-train came I had to buy a "new ticket" for the ring rail, while I tried to explain that I am connecting and that is always then free, but no gain to explain that fact. Very silly design IMO - I think a better solution would be that if you hold a longdistance train ticket within an hour or so, your transfer within ring rail should be free just like that.

If you hold a long distance train ticket from Helsinki Airport train station to anywherw in Finland on VR you can take a earlier or later connection on I or P lines, obviously its your responsibility to make make sure you still make the the connection 😁
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
Indeed, if one is used to commuting daily, the train is probably not as bad as I described - unless you have 1-2 big suitcases. My walk to the bus/train station is of equal length and Id rather pay 1.9 more for the bus due to plenty of storage, a/c, WiFi, only 1 stop and last but not least, points for payment with Amex

If one has more then 2 bags then perhaps the bus is easier, but I managed to make it onto the train in 15 minutes from gate to train with checked bags from my SK flight granted I was motivated by it being the last train of the night foe my connection

But seriously if you have alot of luggage or a long time in ihe lounge behind you it is a good idea to leave enough time for The walk as it is quite a trek but the price is right

And yes I am biased 😁😁
vulle and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:05 pm

Beware that half of the trains from the airport to city center ends in Pasila from this Sunday 24th and you have to change to get to the main station. P is the train ending in Pasila, but I is still a direct train. Changes of course also from Helsinki/Pasila to the airport. This is due to rail works and begins Sunday, June 24 and lasts with some modification(P and I changes places) until Aug 5. Pretty confusing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.