FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   LHR upgrades (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1910220-lhr-upgrades.html)

teme May 20, 2018 2:38 am

LHR upgrades

There seems to be no upgrade availability for LHR flights - random dates checked all the way to january 2019. Have been flying the route with BA recently, but remember that earlier it was not that difficult to find upgrade availibililty on Finnair flights to LHR. Is Finnair releasing seats closer to date? Flights to LHR seems to be full most of the time...

ffay005 May 20, 2018 2:56 am

Just ask to be put on the waiting list. You will receive your new ticket in the email a couple of minutes after the phone call. At least in many cases...

intuition May 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Do they really put non-tier members on waitlist? (teme only lists BA gold as program, maybe he also hold AY tier)

teme May 21, 2018 12:45 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 29774865)
Do they really put non-tier members on waitlist? (teme only lists BA gold as program, maybe he also hold AY tier)

No shiny cards with Finnair anymore...

ffay005 May 21, 2018 2:17 am

Yeah, no waitlisting for non-status members. In this case, my suggestion would be to book the flights you want, preferably as far out as possible, and then call AY during Finnish office hours. Be nice, ask nicely and Janica might contact "the other department", ie revenue management. If it doesn't work, try again later.

I have an upcoming booking HEL-LHR-HEL in March 2019, and the app shows both ways upgradeable.

OH-LGG May 21, 2018 2:30 am

I have next Sat HEL-LHR and LHR-HEL

On HEL-LHR (32B) 11 rows of Business Class and no upgrades available in app or AY site.
On LHR-HEL (32B) 2 rows of Business Class and no upgrades available in app or AY site.

finnishlad May 21, 2018 8:51 am

I have about 10 LHR-HEL-LHR flights this year and NONE of them was able to upgrade online. Had to contact platinum at Finnair and all waitlisted to upgrade. Some of them cleared fast but still many on waiting list after weeks/months.

Eyrie May 22, 2018 9:01 am

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 29776429)
Yeah, no waitlisting for non-status members. In this case, my suggestion would be to book the flights you want, preferably as far out as possible, and then call AY during Finnish office hours. Be nice, ask nicely and Janica might contact "the other department", ie revenue management. If it doesn't work, try again later.

I have an upcoming booking HEL-LHR-HEL in March 2019, and the app shows both ways upgradeable.

I'm just a basic level pleb, but website chat told me to call the UK customer service who then put me on a waitlist for my upcoming LHR-HEL flight in June. It cleared within a few hours, and no one asked or seemed to care about my status.

If they had looked at my record, they would have seen 4 flights within my membership year and not a huge amount of award points. So, I suspect they have waitlisting for everyone, as I don't think they would have been much impressed by my recent flying.

But they probably prioritise status members though.

intuition May 22, 2018 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Eyrie (Post 29781591)
I'm just a basic level pleb, but website chat told me to call the UK customer service who then put me on a waitlist for my upcoming LHR-HEL flight in June. It cleared within a few hours, and no one asked or seemed to care about my status.

While nice for you, I'd say this is the final proof that upgrade process is in shambles.
Waitlist used to be a tier perk and clearing off of waitlist in hours a platinum perk. As almost no availability is shown in online tool these days, majority of upgrades now goes via waitlist and they seem to clear it as soon as they can regardless of status. This means priority is reduced to "first come, first served".

Eyrie May 22, 2018 10:14 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 29781769)
While nice for you, I'd say this is the final proof that upgrade process is in shambles.
Waitlist used to be a tier perk and clearing off of waitlist in hours a platinum perk. As almost no availability is shown in online tool these days, majority of upgrades now goes via waitlist and they seem to clear it as soon as they can regardless of status. This means priority is reduced to "first come, first served".

Yeah, I was very much surprised about the speed, and the fact that it went through. I assumed I would have been in the bottom of a list, after all the status members had had theirs cleared. So I was prepared to wait until a few days before departure.

Not complaining, but I doubt anyone with status is happy to hear this!

I wonder if there are many other non-status people here who would be able to confirm if my case was unusual, or if this is a LHR-HEL special case, or if they are indeed changing their procedure. Definitely interested in hearing what happens to OP, but since they are BA Gold, AY might take that into consideration. (maybe this belongs to the main upgrade-thread)

aapee May 22, 2018 10:57 am

Upgraded one AY1331 in December yesterday. No online availability, but Jakob on the platsku line was able to upgrade me immediately.

teme May 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Eyrie (Post 29781883)
Yeah, I was very much surprised about the speed, and the fact that it went through. I assumed I would have been in the bottom of a list, after all the status members had had theirs cleared. So I was prepared to wait until a few days before departure.

Not complaining, but I doubt anyone with status is happy to hear this!

I wonder if there are many other non-status people here who would be able to confirm if my case was unusual, or if this is a LHR-HEL special case, or if they are indeed changing their procedure. Definitely interested in hearing what happens to OP, but since they are BA Gold, AY might take that into consideration. (maybe this belongs to the main upgrade-thread)

I have had no difficulty upgrading online this year on flights to FRA and ZRH. I think its definitely good if platinums have priority with upgrades, but at the same time think it's pity that there is hardly any online availability on LHR routes. Have not yet bought the tickets so cannot comment if BA Gold would help. Usually end up bying BA business tickets which are often around 440 euros return. Tier point wise excellent value in my opinion.

ylefin May 22, 2018 3:35 pm

Very good way to get an upgrade is asking for it within 24 hours of booking (see the free cancellation rules). If no upgrade, no flight.

NoWindowSeat May 22, 2018 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 29781769)

More and more statusless upgrades coming through as points will stop to expire, for all members. Good for many, bad for top elites.

intuition May 23, 2018 12:08 am

Originally Posted by ylefin (Post 29783124)
Very good way to get an upgrade is asking for it within 24 hours of booking (see the free cancellation rules). If no upgrade, no flight.

This method is exactly what I am forced to use, as the online tool can't be used anymore to plan according to availability.