Wiki Posts
Search

New Lumo in da house!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ffay005
Send a small gift instead, something that fits in your mail box. A small bar of high-quality chocolate, a tie or scarf, a nice ballpoint pen, a leather folder that initially includes the card and letter but that can be used for other things later, or whatever.

And the idea of a metallic card is a good one!
This.

The first time I flew LX F, after the flight I got a letter to my home address with two Lindt chocolate hearts and a thank you note for flying their F.

Even when I bought some mid-fi headphone cables, in the letter-package the seller sent a small piece of cookie (the ones you often get with your espresso) thanking for my business. Cost? Maybe 5p. Goodwill value? Tremendous.
ffay005 and Jaenks like this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Jan 14, 2019 at 1:48 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by intuition
I am curious about this part. Why was Finnair your best choice until 150k?

Not trying to pick anything apart, just want to understand. Finnair obviously is a part of your mix for some reason and fulfils your needs for some trips. Was that reason mainly to get platinum perks *) or was there other major reasons too?

And flying other airlines and credit other programs - was that mainly to get status on those programs or were there other reasons? Like niksal said, Schedule, price, destinations, contracts, et.c?

And with introduction of Lumo (and I totally get the Clooney thing) you switched *A flights to AY. I assume you lost/will lose perks with airlines/programs - did you feel that it was a minor loss? ie you look to have most of your future travel on AY/OW and don't see the need for other alliances anymore?

*) And believe me I see nothing wrong with that - I credit 150k to Finnair solely for status reasons.
For me it's a combination of things why I fly AY a lot. I go to Asia a few times a year, and from central Europe AY offers the best price/quality ratio in my experience. AY A350 business class is very comfortable, and even the feeder 320 series have been very nice to fly lately, with onboard wifi and good meals. Add to this the possibility of having a stopover in Helsinki for a day or two, to visit family and friends and take care of things, and it's a natural match. So something like 200k-250k miles with AY a year comes almost naturally without really trying. Last year was a perfect fit for a Lumo run because I had a friend living in China that year and I flew to a few new Chinese destinations because of the opportunity to meet her and have her be my guide since she speaks Chinese. It also wasn't taking anything away from my *A status since it was an in-between year with no mileage runs needed (SEN status lasts two years).

I probably won't renew Lumo anytime soon, but since it was within reach I figured let's try it once. This year I need to do some *A runs to keep my status as well so I'll just quietly drop back to ordinary platinum.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
A small bar of high-quality chocolate, a tie or scarf, a nice ballpoint pen, a leather folder that initially includes the card and letter but that can be used for other things later, or whatever.
A high quality leather "wallet" with space for cards, BP and passport was the Gold gift 10 years ago. N.b. Included in the welcome package when you hit gold the first time, together with card and letter. Oh, how far we have come if this is returned to Lumo tier
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by haapalainen
This 4+ hour before flight rule for buying tickets online is another weird way to encourage passengers to buy from somewhere else. Why would an airline make it so difficult to buy a ticket when competitors are happy to sell you a ticket online even an hour before departure? It's not once or twice that I have due to this flown SAS from ARN or CPH to HEL. I believe that the 4 hour rule doesn't concern flight changes online however, does it?
Is it, though? A couple of years ago I tried to buy a LH biz ticket for the same day (> 4h) and their website wouldn't budge. I called LH whose agent told me I couldn't buy a ticket for the same day unless I went to the airport to buy it!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by haapalainen
This 4+ hour before flight rule for buying tickets online is another weird way to encourage passengers to buy from somewhere else. Why would an airline make it so difficult to buy a ticket when competitors are happy to sell you a ticket online even an hour before departure? It's not once or twice that I have due to this flown SAS from ARN or CPH to HEL. I believe that the 4 hour rule doesn't concern flight changes online however, does it?
Yes, you are right. Changes are possible at least until 2 hours before flight. Just did this online.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:56 am

Arriving in HEL this Friday on a Norra-operated E90. But the arrival time is at 22:55, so if we park on the tarmac, is that too late for a BMW ride? Has anyone experienced them operating still at that hour?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
Arriving in HEL this Friday on a Norra-operated E90. But the arrival time is at 22:55, so if we park on the tarmac, is that too late for a BMW ride? Has anyone experienced them operating still at that hour?
Nowadays, BMW drivers work until 10pm-12am, so you might get lucky.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by on22cz
Nowadays, BMW drivers work until 10pm-12am, so you might get lucky.
Then let's hope for the best! It would be a fair tradeoff for having to fly the E90 as opposed to the usual more comfortable A32x.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Very nice surprise to DUS.

Chock-full flight (seat block didn't work, I was 11A, a Plat in 11C, still a pax in 11B - though 11E was empty). When the doors were closed, the purser came up to me and asked "would you like to sit in the front, it's empty and would be much more comfy? Unfortunately though we have no biz food loaded" ^ The tapas plate works well in lieu of breakfast with a bubbly

I stole a look at her iPad, the screen showed seats until row 16 or so, 9 plats (!), 5 golds and yours truly.
FlyingFinn, SPBanker and on22cz like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:04 pm

Oh, change in plans.

As I wrote you fellows the other day, I’ve found myself preferring AY just as there’s a reason to go beyond Bruce’s CD collection (or how was it?) after hitting 150k easily. Honestly, I’ve thought ticketing AY on any OW metal would be no harm but found out that is not the case.

I’m about to fly out to US on Sunday and had HEL - LHR - EWR on AY (J/C). Roughly an hour back I got a message from BA telling my LHR - EWR had been cancelled (it is a sh*tty connection anyways, always deprioritized when in the need of planes elsewhere, shouldn’t go with it). The message contained a link to BA MyBookings where the only message was an encouragement to find my own way to re-route or contact my travel agency.

Well, while fully aware of BA being the one causing troubles, decided still to give AY a call as I indeed was their customer with my AY code share tickets. The message was brief: you need to contact BA. Apparently, the only BA call center available in the evening was in the US. The moment they saw AY printed on my itinerary they kindly asked me to turn to Finnair. I decided to give my assistant a call instead. Needless to mention, my UK based colleague sharing the cancelled flight (and traveling with BA tickets and status) had been re-routed automatically.

After the Sunday trip, I have 4 more US visits scheduled before end May and would assume one or two more to pop up into my calendar. One is clear AY5 gig as I’m going to Manhattan but the others are either via LHR (BA or code share) or with *A. Must say today’s experience reminded me about some at least minor challenges related to preferring AY at full.

Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Codeshares definitely are a PITA, but I would have assumed a last minute cancellation to be straightforward and handled by BA in this case.

If you just fly to LHR and go to the BA desk, I wonder what they'll do.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:45 pm

Codeshares definitely are a PITA, but I would have assumed a last minute cancellation to be straightforward and handled by BA in this case.

Me too. Will take AY5 instead and arrive 5+ hrs late eventually. Would be good fun to fly over and see how it goes but have some work to do...
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:49 pm

Sounds risky as all remaining flights on the same day could be fully booked by then.

I wonder why they don't act on this. It could cost BA a lot of money in EU 261 compensation, so I'd have thought that they would want to act fast.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I stole a look at her iPad, the screen showed seats until row 16 or so, 9 plats (!), 5 golds and yours truly.
Outs, 9 plats on same DUS flight. Platnum is nowadays real jokamiehenkortti
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:55 pm

It’s actually an interesting question if they have any liability left given it was my assistant / travel agency taking care of the re-routing. Could send BA my coming JFK-EWR limo bill and a request for delay :-) Well, there must be a flight to JFK for them to offer me. For me a whole lot easier to catch AY5, spend Sun morning with the family, leave later, and most importantly without the need to fly through LHR. Will miss a meeting in New Jersey though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.