Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Lumo in da house!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: AY LUMO
odo is faster. odo is Lumo King.

My anemic challenge took almost 11 months.
ffay005, SPBanker and odo like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Reading this thread is just making me anticipate it even more. My master plan has been set in motion but not yet completed.

Tracking period started in April. So far 4 flights to Asia in J. 2 more in August. That plus a few miscellaneous OW flights will leave me with around 130k to go and 7 months left to complete it. I just have a feeling this will be the year of Lumo...
ffay005 and on22cz like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
130k in 7 months is certainly doable - or if you want to go easy, once you have done the obligatory 350k on AY, just exchange some rewards points towards the missing TPs and start enjoying Lumodom/Lumohood/Lumoness (??) earlier
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:37 am

The most attractive perk is seemingly the limo rides. Unfortunately for me it's not very often that I would get the chance, since most of my flights to/from HEL are long-haul or European feeders with gate boarding. I might have to start booking flights on routes with a guaranteed bus arrival to check it out. Any suggestions? That, and I also wonder if I will feel any difference in the personal recognition vs ordinary Platinum. Oh well, still some months to go at least.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:45 pm

Beemer rides only work about 40% of the time based on this summer experience.

-sulkkis
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
I might have to start booking flights on routes with a guaranteed bus arrival to check it out. Any suggestions?
Any NORRA flight operated with an ATR - so a lot of regional Finnish airports, BMA and the Baltics for example.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The most attractive perk is seemingly the limo rides.
For me it's a "nice to have" perk. Much higher up the ranking would be the two give away gold cards, the double 400k threshold gift (=200k, undocumented), the zillion sh & lh upgrade vouchers, awards/upgrade clearing 100% (so far for me). The Tumi rollaboard isn't too shabby either. Add to this the soft landing to Plat (I might need it after 6 month in *A-landia)
FlyingFinn likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
For me it's a "nice to have" perk. Much higher up the ranking would be the two give away gold cards, the double 400k threshold gift (=200k, undocumented), the zillion sh & lh upgrade vouchers, awards/upgrade clearing 100% (so far for me). The Tumi rollaboard isn't too shabby either. Add to this the soft landing to Plat (I might need it after 6 month in *A-landia)
Of course it's a "nice to have", but it's the only one that somehow distinguishes it from Platinum. Everything else is "more of the same". My upgrade clearance rate has been nearly 100% as Platinum (just one single instance out of ~50 upgrade requests failed). My LH upgrade vouchers end up expiring unused most of the time since I usually book LH in J directly. I'm aiming for Lumo mainly just for fun, and to feel like a special elite once It's actually possible to attain unlike LH HON.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
My LH upgrade vouchers end up expiring unused most of the time since I usually book LH in J directly.
This is definitely one of the "problems" in being Plat and paying for your own travel, ie minimizing costs. If I weren't Plat, I would book longhaul J, because I don't want to sit in Y. But because I'm Plat, I book longhaul Y and upgrade with vouchers or points, being pretty sure my upgrades clear so the risk of being in Y is small. Doing this, I save a lot of money but I also lose a whole lot of tier points, making me lose Plat. What a vicious circle!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
This is definitely one of the "problems" in being Plat and paying for your own travel, ie minimizing costs. If I weren't Plat, I would book longhaul J, because I don't want to sit in Y. But because I'm Plat, I book longhaul Y and upgrade with vouchers or points, being pretty sure my upgrades clear so the risk of being in Y is small. Doing this, I save a lot of money but I also lose a whole lot of tier points, making me lose Plat. What a vicious circle!
A few times I have managed to make use of my LH vouchers by giving them to family members. Fortunately it's allowed by Finnair. But if Finnair wanted to make everyone happy, they could ditch the concept of different types of vouchers and just say for example "Platinum gets 8 vouchers per year. One voucher is for short haul but you can also exchange 4 vouchers for one long haul upgrade". I think you can already do this now with short haul vouchers anyway. Getting rid of the concept of vouchers for LH only and giving a little bit more of generic vouchers would be ideal. But there's probably no incentive for Finnair to do so, so one can only dream...
ffay005 and Ukki like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
But if Finnair wanted to make everyone happy, they could ditch the concept of different types of vouchers and just say for example "Platinum gets 8 vouchers per year. One voucher is for short haul but you can also exchange 4 vouchers for one long haul upgrade". I think you can already do this now with short haul vouchers anyway. Getting rid of the concept of vouchers for LH only and giving a little bit more of generic vouchers would be ideal. But there's probably no incentive for Finnair to do so, so one can only dream...
I think the way it is now is a good way to promote flying AY on long-haul.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Boom! Hit the Lumo threshold today with a month and a half to spare. Earned the hard way, every single flight on a Y ticket. Here's hoping for a slew of op-ups now that I'm Lumo...

Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess you'll put all those vouchers and points to good use! Welcome to the club!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by _ra_
Boom! Hit the Lumo threshold today with a month and a half to spare. Earned the hard way, every single flight on a Y ticket. Here's hoping for a slew of op-ups now that I'm Lumo...
Congrats, welcome to the club.

I've yet to receive an op up on Finnair, including my Platinum and Lumo periods...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Congrats, welcome to the club.

I've yet to receive an op up on Finnair, including my Platinum and Lumo periods...
I got two just the other week, both ways to JFK. According to the chief purser on the outbound, that's the best route for op-ups, especially in the summer. Way overbooked with vacationers in the back, and not always full in the front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.