Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Turned AY+ Gold again - Few observations after the fact...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:11 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver

I turned AY+ Gold again after my return from HKG last weekend and noticed a few things...

1) For some reason the miles took much longer to post than normal (BKK-HKG-HEL-ZRH = > doesn't matter)
2) I turned gold somewhere above Russian (HKG-HEL segment) so the HEL-ZRH flight posted 4'400 miles when in fact it really should have been 4'000 base miles +15% = 4'600 miles (doesn't really matter)
3) My account shows gold, but I cannot get "free" seat allocation on a few flights coming up now towards the end of May GVA-HEL-OUL//OUL-HEL (was counting on voucher upgrade GVA-HEL but all had gone in the meanwhile) and this does matter...

So for point (3) I contacted AY, through their website chatter option, and was told that I was indeed entitled to free seat allocation BUT it wouldn't be available before a few days after I moved up the tiers.

My question is, how many days are a few days in AY lingo translated into actual days? Anyone else encountered this?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
You are AY+ Gold when the required points are credited, not before. Therefore the 4400 points are correct.

As it seems you are still Silver. You will get your Gold benefits as soon as the points are credited. It might be that the free seat benefit doesn't work online immediately, but CS can do it then for you.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jainzar
You are AY+ Gold when the required points are credited, not before. Therefore the 4400 points are correct.

As it seems you are still Silver. You will get your Gold benefits as soon as the points are credited. It might be that the free seat benefit doesn't work online immediately, but CS can do it then for you.
You're not making much sense here...

1) When I touched down in HEL I was over the 80'000 miles threshold so technically Gold at that very moment...

If the HEL-ZRH had not posted, and I would had to do this retrospectively, I would have gotten the AY+ additional bonus miles as I technically would have been AYG PRIOR to the following segment.

2) As I said, CS could not do anything about the seats (even through my account shows I'm gold and which was confirmed by the CS agent) when I was chatting with them. The agent I "spoke" to was also in touch with the AY tech team while I was online with her and was told it would take a few days for the free seat allocation option would be available online (still my account showed Gold)...
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Cupart
...The agent I "spoke" to was also in touch with the AY tech team while I was online with her and was told it would take a few days for the free seat allocation option would be available online (still my account showed Gold)...
This part is just as silly as it gets. So now the hunt for monies through the seat selection system has come to a point there the entire loyalty system is degraded?

What the eff is that for an answer?! "Yes you are gold but we can't give you the associated perks. "
Get real, finnair.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by intuition
This part is just as silly as it gets. So now the hunt for monies through the seat selection system has come to a point there the entire loyalty system is degraded?

What the eff is that for an answer?! "Yes you are gold but we can't give you the associated perks. "
Get real, finnair.
At least for me CS was able to assign the seats free of charge last year when I turned Gold despite online I was asked to pay for the reservation. So did now someone just didn't know how to do it or is it an "enhancement"?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Jainzar
At least for me CS was able to assign the seats free of charge last year when I turned Gold despite online I was asked to pay for the reservation. So did now someone just didn't know how to do it or is it an "enhancement"?
I had the same experience. Therefore, I suggest Cupart would just HUACA.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
This is not an enhancement (or at least not a new one), this is AY's IT at its best... Few years back when I turned gold from silver, as I knew that is about to happen, I did not pay for seat selection while being silver. So on day 1 when I turned gold, wanted to reserve the seats that I had in mind, but system still wanted to charge me for it. Called CS and they booked the seats for me for free.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The change might be that CS reps now have been told not to book anything free of charge? Let's see if @Cupart calls gold line and they will fix it. If they also deny action then there seems to be a change in attitude.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:09 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lkrt
Therefore, I suggest Cupart would just HUACA.
Huaca???

"In the Quechuan languages of South America, a huaca or wak'a is an object that represents something revered, typically a monument of some kind. The term huaca can refer to natural locations, such as immense rocks. Some huacas have been associated with veneration and ritual."
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:20 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by intuition
The change might be that CS reps now have been told not to book anything free of charge? Let's see if @Cupart calls gold line and they will fix it. If they also deny action then there seems to be a change in attitude.
Well, not sure if @Cupart is actually going to call the hotline/CS team as @Cupart is an 1 and 0’s kind of person... What I’m saying is that if an online option is available, or advertised as such, why should I have to use a non online option? Telling a CS rep that I’m not happy with their web service helps abs nothing at all (I did in the past) so not going to waste my time on it.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, AY’s IT is just unbelievably poor.

1) HTTPS proxy error on their website quite often,
2) Dead eneded links on their website,
3) iPhone App doesn’t refresh automatically (need to log off/on)
4) iPad app - had to remove it as I could not login 99% of the time (believe it just directed user to the website anyway, but may be wrong)
5) Tier change perks not instantly updated (as per this post). Why this is not technically possible I don’t know...
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:37 am
Moderator, Finnair

No worries, you don't need to do anything you don't want to. All I was saying was that if you did that, it would be beneficial to the forum to know what happened - has there been a change in attitude or is it just like it used to be (bad IT but fixable via CS).
Others in similar situation have been able to get free seat selection from gold line (reachable via mail too) so it is only natural you will get that advice here.

As for the tech issues you are preaching to the choir.
Cupart likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Huaca???
Hang Up And Call Again.
Cupart likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
This is not an enhancement (or at least not a new one), this is AY's IT at its best... Few years back when I turned gold from silver, as I knew that is about to happen, I did not pay for seat selection while being silver. So on day 1 when I turned gold, wanted to reserve the seats that I had in mind, but system still wanted to charge me for it. Called CS and they booked the seats for me for free.
AY IT system seems to be legendary. I recall when my AY status changed and had no problem with getting the OW status seat selection perk with AA online on the following day.

Last edited by Guillou; Apr 14, 2018 at 10:22 am Reason: typos
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

UPDATE. Contacted CS and spoke to an agent that had no clue what the hell was going on. She checked my booking ref and told me it was recorded as Ruby FF AY+ and that I indeed (again) was Gold...

Me: "OK, I don’t care what it is recorded under as I’m gold so can you please fix it?"
CS: "what is you AY+ number? Is it 610XXXXXX?”
Me: "No, that is my partners AY+ number... She booked the flights but she is also Gold"
CS: "So your number is 610XXXXXX?"
Me: "No... I gave you my number at the beginning..."
CS: "OK, so your number is 635XXXXXX?"
..... 15 min back and forth
CS: "OK, I’m not very familliar with FF rules I’ll transfer you to ’K’"
Me: "erh... ok"
..... 5 min later on hold
CS’K’: "Hi, sorry for the waiting. We cannot do anything right now, but you can try again in a week"
Me: "OK... bye then"
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
UPDATE. Contacted CS and spoke to an agent that had no clue what the hell was going on. She checked my booking ref and told me it was recorded as Ruby FF AY+ and that I indeed (again) was Gold...

Me: "OK, I don’t care what it is recorded under as I’m gold so can you please fix it?"
CS: "what is you AY+ number? Is it 610XXXXXX?”
Me: "No, that is my partners AY+ number... She booked the flights but she is also Gold"
CS: "So your number is 610XXXXXX?"
Me: "No... I gave you my number at the beginning..."
CS: "OK, so your number is 635XXXXXX?"
..... 15 min back and forth
CS: "OK, I’m not very familliar with FF rules I’ll transfer you to ’K’"
Me: "erh... ok"
..... 5 min later on hold
CS’K’: "Hi, sorry for the waiting. We cannot do anything right now, but you can try again in a week"
Me: "OK... bye then"
So, how much money was at stake? These are exactly the kind of decisions any company should empower their staff to do. Now not only did you as the customer waste your time but also AY ended wasting the CS reps work time - both of these could be measured in money.
Steve_Hun and napapiiri like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.