Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling non-last segments

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Cancelling non-last segments

Is it possible to (proactively) cancel a non-last value segment without losing the following segment(s)? If I understand correctly, Value only allows changing the date and time, and only if all segments are Value (or Pro), cancel the all segments. All that for a fee.

In my case, I have a Value segment before a Campaign segment, that I'd like to maybe get rid of.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Not possible under normal circumstances.

Under IRROPS you could probably get away with it.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
To clarify a bit, dropping a segment from an itinerary basically changes the ticket from XXX-YYY-ZZZ to YYY-ZZZ and this will retrigger all kinds of things, including a fare recalculation. So on a fully flexible ticket you could do it, but it would probably cost you a lot of money anyway.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:57 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Yes, impossible in normal circumstances. I have tried it once with fare class D (more or less like value tickets are for Y in terms of flexibility) and it was a total no-no. New ticket, new fare calculations, the whole nine yards..
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Under IRROPS you could probably get away with it.
True. Once I had a TLL-HEL-Asia flight with a turnaround positioning. The night before so much snow came that TLL closed and the outbound HEL-TLL was cancelled. It took a bit of explanation over the phone, but the agent got it (cannot get to TLL because you cancelled the flight and the inbound will bo soon cancelled as well) and re-issued the ticket HEL-Asia without further charges. ^
SPBanker likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
True. Once I had a TLL-HEL-Asia flight with a turnaround positioning. The night before so much snow came that TLL closed and the outbound HEL-TLL was cancelled. It took a bit of explanation over the phone, but the agent got it (cannot get to TLL because you cancelled the flight and the inbound will bo soon cancelled as well) and re-issued the ticket HEL-Asia without further charges. ^
I've had the same happen with ARN (radar problems @arn). The proactive agent asked me if it was necessary for me to go to ARN or if she could simply cancel the first segment.
NoWindowSeat and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Ah yes, it makes sense

This leads to another question: what is the cancellation value of a ticket with mixed value and basic/light/campaign fares. The receipt says one segment is restricted refund and the other segmetn is non-refundable.

Should I get the maximum of restricted refund fare plus taxes minus processing fee and zero, or just zero?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
In the case where AY voluntarily agrees to cancel the positioning segment to serve me better, I don't ask for a refund of the cancelled part.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Ah yes, it makes sense

This leads to another question: what is the cancellation value of a ticket with mixed value and basic/light/campaign fares. The receipt says one segment is restricted refund and the other segmetn is non-refundable.

Should I get the maximum of restricted refund fare plus taxes minus processing fee and zero, or just zero?
Doesn't booking process/ t+c's normally say also in case of mixed fare tickets , happens a lot in economy, , even on direct return flights , that for mixed cabin fare letters , with obvious differences in all of i)totally inflexible ii)change date(s) for fee iii)cancel/refundable for a fee, that the "most restrictive segments restrictions apply to all segments"
napapiiri likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Doesn't booking process/ t+c's normally say also in case of mixed fare tickets , happens a lot in economy, , even on direct return flights , that for mixed cabin fare letters , with obvious differences in all of i)totally inflexible ii)change date(s) for fee iii)cancel/refundable for a fee, that the "most restrictive segments restrictions apply to all segments"
Yes and no. You definitely can rebook a value segment in a mixed itinerary, for the change fee and positive fare difference, while keeping the lower fare segment as is.

The simplified booking process says you cannot cancel, but the ticket receipt seems to imply otherwise.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Courmisch

No, worst conditions apply. If yo combine a full fare Y for €€€€ with one segment campaign you have a very very expensive non-changeable, non-refundable ticket.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, I have a mixed I & D fare ticket. The Lumo service agent explained that change rules are according to each segment's rule but cancel rules are according to the more restrictive fare's rule

Which leads me to another interesting observation. We had a Value ticket (changeable for a fee) and we did change it - not cheap, but not luckily out of own pocket. When I wanted to change it again online, a message popped up, that the ticket can only be changed ONCE, and this ticket has already been changed. I don't seem to remember seeing any rule like that. (I left it at that, because it was very easy to adjust the travelplans accordingly)
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Hmm, I have a mixed I & D fare ticket. The Lumo service agent explained that change rules are according to each segment's rule but cancel rules are according to the more restrictive fare's rule

Which leads me to another interesting observation. We had a Value ticket (changeable for a fee) and we did change it - not cheap, but not luckily out of own pocket. When I wanted to change it again online, a message popped up, that the ticket can only be changed ONCE, and this ticket has already been changed. I don't seem to remember seeing any rule like that. (I left it at that, because it was very easy to adjust the travelplans accordingly)
Maybe Finnair is trying to pre-empt someone from doing this:
https://www.economist.com/blogs/gull...irport-lounges
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I read it - but why isn't it anywhere in the T&C if it's enforced?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Yeah, I read it - but why isn't it anywhere in the T&C if it's enforced?
Maybe it is only implemented for the self service to make you use the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.