Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Lumo recognition, freebies and soft perks

Lumo recognition, freebies and soft perks

Old Jun 7, 18, 6:16 am

Programs: *G, OWE, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by sulkkis View Post
Heading back home tomorrow with Norra

-sulkkis
You might be the winner then sulkkis, please keep us posted.
Old Jun 8, 18, 3:06 pm

As usual, empty promises by Finnair. No BMW ride on tarmac

And also a new frequent flyer recognizion by an id__t male boarding gate officer who refused my hand luggage to be taken into plane and requested it to be checked in at boarding gate. Only one item allowed, no exceptions he said. The same rule did not apply for all customers, he just didn't like my bag. My bag is an old style Rimowa 20X40X53 cm two wheelie weighing exactly 8 kg loaded and the other item is a small computer bag. He said he doesn't care what kind of "next to god frequent flyer card you have" but he has decided that the bag will need to be checked in.

Maybe time to consider switching back to SAS.

-sulkkis
Old Jun 8, 18, 3:50 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum

And also a new frequent flyer recognizion by an id__t male boarding gate officer who refused my hand luggage to be taken into plane and requested it to be checked in at boarding gate. Only one item allowed, no exceptions he said. The same rule did not apply for all customers, he just didn't like my bag. My bag is an old style Rimowa 20X40X53 cm two wheelie weighing exactly 8 kg loaded and the other item is a small computer bag. He said he doesn't care what kind of "next to god frequent flyer card you have" but he has decided that the bag will need to be checked in.

-sulkkis
Please report this to Finnair. I think (hope) they would want to know their gate people are not following the proper hand luggage allowance for top tier customers.
Old Jun 8, 18, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by napapiiri View Post

Please report this to Finnair. I think (hope) they would want to know their gate people are not following the proper hand luggage allowance for top tier customers.
Did it allready. Let's see their response, but if it is a typical cash voucher compensation I will be extremely disappointed. It only means that they have not even discussed the incident with the person involved and case closed - nothing changes.

-sulkkis
Old Jun 9, 18, 12:12 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY Plat, IHG Plat, Visa Plat, PP Prest, BT Vip

-sulkkis
Where was that? Do file a complaint!
Old Jun 9, 18, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, TK Elite Plus, BT VIP

-sulkkis
Definitely please do report this. For the good of all and with hopes they will really take some steps towards improvement (even though, this clearly was just an action of an individual).

Did it allready. Let's see their response, but if it is a typical cash voucher compensation I will be extremely disappointed. It only means that they have not even discussed the incident with the person involved and case closed - nothing changes.

-sulkkis
To be honest, while I totally understand how disappointing it is to know they might just hand out a voucher and mark it as solved, what kind of better compensation would you like to see?
I value Finnair for how they handle situations when some of their staff decides to play their own game of elite "treatment". It's then a choice of action on their side whether to kind of re-train the staff, or pay another compensation when it occurs again (May this be a good motivation to really do something about the complaint?). In the end, you at least get a good value voucher / enough points for an upgrade. I dare to say many airlines would just send you an automatic "We are sorry..." email, or - if lucky enough - give you some miles worth a keychain.
Old Jun 9, 18, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by on22cz View Post
To be honest, while I totally understand how disappointing it is to know they might just hand out a voucher and mark it as solved, what kind of better compensation would you like to see?
I would like to get a confirmation that they have tracked down the person as he denied to identify himself when I asked what was his and his supervisors name, discussed the incident with him and his supervisor and sent him for a customer service training or something similar. Or to reattend the training for new staff. That's the only way to prevent same happening in future. Otherwise I may have a voucher worth of a couple of wine bottles and the same guy will do this to me or to anybody else in future and will have a good laugh later while having a pint with his mates.

-sulkkis
on22cz likes this.
Old Jun 9, 18, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by TTL View Post
Where was that? Do file a complaint!
@hel yesterday (Friday) evening at one of the Norra bus gates.

-sulkkis
Old Jun 9, 18, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
There is no way any complaint ever makes it beyond CS. The escalation you are looking for simply does not exist. You might get a senior staff or even a manager to reply wirh the excuse and a compensation offer. But that is it. This is Finnair, not a japanese or korean airline.
Old Jun 9, 18, 3:40 am

Intuition, you may be right but then the purpose of the AY CS is only to settle down pissed off customers and not to prevent pissed off customers happening at first place. At least all other industries are going towards preventing damages to happen at first place rather than developing ways how to best recover from any incident.

I prefer to see continous improvement on overall performance of any airline I choose rather than collecting their vouchers which I will anyway forget to use before they will expire.

-sulkkis
napapiiri likes this.
Old Jun 9, 18, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
First of all, i completely agree with you. I've tried to provide feedback and expected a continous improvement over the years (soon my tenth year as platinum), but my cynical conclusion is that it is pointless.

First problem is that the comapny isn't set up for cross department cooperation. And CS is likely the least "cool" part of the company and has nothing on the rest. IMO, it is exactly like you say it shouldn't be - they are there to try to make pissed off customer slightly less pissed off. By the end of the day, no one thanks them for their work and no one cares about the result or takes any actions.

Secondly, Finnair is a numbers company. One pissed off tier member is still just one, and regardless of how unhappy he/she is, one pax does not even show up in any metric.
I've heard this in several discussions with staff, and I really understood it when I fought with them about the 9h delays of AY69. I couldn't understand why they cared so little about delaying 250 pax 9 hours, until I learned that is wasn't a one-off but a SOP. Operations did this on a regular basis, around twice a month, to handle any fault in the fleet. And it had been going on for years. The more people I spoke to the more I understand that nobody really cared about the passengers or the bad reputaion for the route, as long as the delays wasn't impacting the over-all delay number. As long as they stayed above 92% flights arrival on time (or what ever the target was), there wasn't any reason to take actions. Even one HKG flight a week delayed 9h did not show up in any metric.

This numbers game keeps repeating in other areas as well, and may very well come from AY hiring policy. They require masters degree or higher for almost all positions, so they tend to end up with staff that are very well educated on the theoretical side but without much experience.

We also know that staff does not fly. Even higher position staff fly very rarely, and when they do, they always fly on AY in business. 99% of the company staff knows very little about the product in IRL and very little about the needs and expectations of their customers. They know nothing about the competition.
Their only tool is surveys - which usually is directed to op-up passengers - and again it is a numbers game. If 90% is joyful, then no need for action.

So while I do hope you'll get another result than I get. These days I don't even give them any feedback at all, only when they tries to screw me over. And they also stopped playing the game - they don't compensate me, they just issue the boilerplate excuse and that's it. And I have accepted that and decided not to waste time and energy on a company that does not want to improve.

Last edited by intuition; Jun 9, 18 at 6:17 am
Old Jun 9, 18, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
It was a real shocker when at the AY DO senior staff said they practically NEVER fly with competition. We continually (more or less) benchmark ourselves with the competition, analyzing their products, etc. How can AY senior staff have no clue what's going on at the top of THEIR game?
Old Jun 9, 18, 6:57 am

Second time @bus @hel tarmac since 6th June... so more empty promises.

-sulkkis
Old Jun 9, 18, 8:10 am

Intuition, thanx for a prompt reply!

Frankly speaking I think this whole BMW ride idea is crazy. Who wants to drive front or behind a bus for a few hundred meters? And everybody looking at you wondering who the hell is that guy? Most pax have no idea about this service so they will be confused. I want to try it once but most likely in future will choose the bus, if there is a change to do so.

The bigger problem is that they market this service and in real life it is not available. Just like wifi on their LH flights. Better not to market something what you cannot deliver.

-sulkkis
Old Jun 9, 18, 8:12 am

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels

-sulkkis
Your carry-on complied with the size AND weight limitations by AY, and yet it was gate-checked? At the same time, bags of similar size were permitted? What aircraft type was this, AT7 or E90? In the E90, your bag would have fit the overhead bins. In the AT7, the cargo hold where they but the valet checked bags might be small, but if they could allow others' bags to be valet checked, then why not yours?

If this is the case, then this particular employee was way out of line. And you talked to his supervisor to no avail?

I wonder what would have happened if you had simply refused. He would have denied you from boarding, and after that you would have been forced to escalate the matter to get rebooked to the next flight. In that process, someone may have become interested in why you didn't take the flight you were supposed to, especially if it was a nonrefundable ticket.

Absolutely outrageous behaviour.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: