Upgrade vouchers worth of nothing?

Old Jan 31, 19, 11:36 am

Programs: AY+Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Scandic L2
On short-haul, I think the seat occupation ratio has increased such that it got significantly harder to move the curtain back on A320 series.

In fact, I have been opuped twice on short-haul last year (1xE190, 1xA321), which -paradoxically- tends to confirm that there just are not many free seats to upgrade people into.
Old Jan 31, 19, 5:15 pm

Yesterday I had a chat with CS on the web site. Was looking at buying a ticket CPH-HEL-HKG. When checking availability for an upgrade when searching HEL-HKG it shows available, but when searching CPH-HEL-HKG - nothing available, same date for both searches. So I asked the CS if I buy a ticket CPH-HEL-HKG, can they upgrade my HEL-HKG segment, as I really don't care about CPH-HEL, they said because CPH-HKG is different itinerary than HEL-HKG, they cannot.

The hell!!!
Old Jan 31, 19, 11:04 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OneWorld Emerald
Originally Posted by mlqsko View Post
Yesterday I had a chat with CS on the web site. Was looking at buying a ticket CPH-HEL-HKG. When checking availability for an upgrade when searching HEL-HKG it shows available, but when searching CPH-HEL-HKG - nothing available, same date for both searches. So I asked the CS if I buy a ticket CPH-HEL-HKG, can they upgrade my HEL-HKG segment, as I really don't care about CPH-HEL, they said because CPH-HKG is different itinerary than HEL-HKG, they cannot.

The hell!!!
yes you are right, I had the same and I asked CS what the hell this is. He couldn’t give me a proper answer but said he could waitlist the LH leg and it will most likely clear instantly. No guarantees though.

i booked AMS-HEL-BKK and back. Saw in the upgrade tool that HEL-BKK was available so I called. He said: “no it’s not available”, I said “it is, search for yourself HEL-BKK”. Then he said: “ah yes but that is a whole different itinerary, you need to search AMS-BKK and then you’ll see that HEL-BKK isnt available under that itinerary.

what the .......... 😂😂😂😂😂
Old Jan 31, 19, 11:12 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB

The hell!!!
I would have just bought the flights and upgraded the LH segment. In worst case just cancel the ticket within 24 hours of purchase (given that you book at finnair.com). Quite simple.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 19, 11:36 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
I would have just bought the flights and upgraded the LH segment. In worst case just cancel the ticket within 24 hours of purchase (given that you book at finnair.com). Quite simple.
Eh?! That is what OP tried ant they wouldn't do.

...if I buy a ticket CPH-HEL-HKG, can they upgrade my HEL-HKG segment, as I really don't care about CPH-HEL, they said because CPH-HKG is different itinerary than HEL-HKG, they cannot.

The hell!!!
Originally Posted by EuroFlash View Post
i booked AMS-HEL-BKK and back. Saw in the upgrade tool that HEL-BKK was available so I called. He said: “no it’s not available”, I said “it is, search for yourself HEL-BKK”. Then he said: “ah yes but that is a whole different itinerary, you need to search AMS-BKK and then you’ll see that HEL-BKK isnt available under that itinerary.

what the .......... ����������
[/left]
This is called 'married segments' and sadly they apply it to upgrades too. It means capacity is controlled differently on each segment vs the whole itinnerary.
For example, you can have
CPH-HEL F/4
HEL-BKK F/4
but still
CPH-BKK F/0

Is was invented to control ticket prices in regions. Meaning you can offer plenty of campaign fares on say PRG-HEL-XIY and on ARN-HEL and on HEL-XIY while at the samt time there are only full price Y fares available on ARN-HEL-XIY

For some reason they do this with F-bucket too. That means in this case, they decided they do not want Danes to access upgrades to HKG or BKK, keeping them reserved for Finns.

A savvy agent knows how to divorce segments and thus can apply upgrade to only one part. Perhaps this knowledge has disappeared with the introduction of "the robot".
Or they outlawed it. (An agent divorcing married segments on regular fares will get kicked of the GDS)
Old Jan 31, 19, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by intuition View Post
Yesterday I had a chat with CS on the web site. Was looking at buying a ticket CPH-HEL-HKG.
I don't read that OP bought a ticket.
Old Jan 31, 19, 11:54 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OneWorld Emerald

This is called 'married segments' and sadly they apply it to upgrades too. It means capacity is controlled differently on each segment vs the whole itinnerary.
For example, you can have
CPH-HEL F/4
HEL-BKK F/4
but still
CPH-BKK F/0

Is was invented to control ticket prices in regions. Meaning you can offer plenty of campaign fares on say PRG-HEL-XIY and on ARN-HEL and on HEL-XIY while at the samt time there are only full price Y fares available on ARN-HEL-XIY

For some reason they do this with F-bucket too. That means in this case, they decided they do not want Danes to access upgrades to HKG or BKK, keeping them reserved for Finns.

A savvy agent knows how to divorce segments and thus can apply upgrade to only one part. Perhaps this knowledge has disappeared with the introduction of "the robot".
Or they outlawed it. (An agent divorcing married segments on regular fares will get kicked of the GDS)
I get that marrying of segments for tickets, but not that much for upgrades. Doesn’t really seem to make sense to me
Old Jan 31, 19, 11:55 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
I don't read that OP bought a ticket.

True. He didn't buy the ticket, because the agent told him that he would not be able to upgrade as there were 0 availability. Buying the ticket would not have changed the agents attitude towards the problem.

You are right that he could have bought it anyway and called in to get it waitlisted and then call again to cancel it and wait for refund if upgrade didn't clear in 23 hours. That method only works for those who are allowed onto waitlist though.

Last edited by intuition; Feb 1, 19 at 12:02 am
Old Jan 31, 19, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by EuroFlash View Post

I get that marrying of segments for tickets, but not that much for upgrades. Doesn’t really seem to make sense to me
Yeah, it doesn't make any sense to me either. Perhaps it isn't even the intention but rather a mishap. But it is very real, I have had this discussion too. And I have had agents saying:

"OK, there is no availability, let me check something else <tap> <tap> <tap>. OK found it here, and now <tap> <tap> <tap> OK found it here too. Yeah, I need to do it another way, just hang on while I fix this. "

But this was in the pre-robot time when the agents actually did the upgrade themselves.
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:14 am

True. He didn't buy the ticket, because the agent told him that he would not be able to upgrade as there were 0 availability. Buying the ticket would not have changed the agents attitude towards the problem.

You are right that he could have bought it anyway and called in to get it waitlisted and then call again to cancel it and wait for refund if upgrade didn't clear in 23 hours. That method only works for those who are allowed onto waitlist though.
I don't have a fitting ticket at the moment, but at least 2 months ago I could upgrade the SH segment but not the LH segment. And that was exactly the availability I got per segment in the upgrade availability tool. According to the CS story that should not be possible (anymore). But I would just have tried to do it myself without asking help from CS.
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:33 am

Yeah, that is another path worthwile exploring. Try the online upgrade tool
https://www.finnair.com/int/gb/finna...online-upgrade
and see what options are there.
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:54 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Hm, many times when I booked flights with upgrades, they told me they only have upgrades on LH and the SH need to go on waitlist - I always agreed on this since I did not care too much about the SH - also everytime they do so a. they gave me exit seat on SH and b. the waitlist cleared. Maybe this changed or different people on CS have different skills.

Also there is missing logic if I could not use the vouchers for segments only, since I need to use one SH and one LH voucher for the trip, and that implies that I can use them one by one. What will happen if one uses all his SH vouchers for intra european travels, and once he want to do a LH trip he can t upgrade it since he need to upgrade the whole trip?
FFlash likes this.

Last edited by Ed Size; Feb 1, 19 at 1:07 am
Old Feb 1, 19, 2:52 am

Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
Originally Posted by Ed Size View Post
Hm, many times when I booked flights with upgrades, they told me they only have upgrades on LH and the SH need to go on waitlist - I always agreed on this since I did not care too much about the SH - also everytime they do so a. they gave me exit seat on SH and b. the waitlist cleared. Maybe this changed or different people on CS have different skills.

Also there is missing logic if I could not use the vouchers for segments only, since I need to use one SH and one LH voucher for the trip, and that implies that I can use them one by one. What will happen if one uses all his SH vouchers for intra european travels, and once he want to do a LH trip he can t upgrade it since he need to upgrade the whole trip?
hear hear.
I also got upgrade through only LH recently. So not sure what others claim here if true?
Old Feb 1, 19, 2:56 am

Sure, three of us must have dreamt it.

In fact, we all got our upgrades, we just got on here to spread misinformation...
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:28 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
FWIW, I have upgraded the long haul legs of two LHR-HEL-SIN-HEL-LHR with vouchers and later, separately the shorthaul legs with points.

Very much worth remembering, that if one upgrades with points (as opposed to vouchers), the long haul upgrade also carries an upgrade on the short haul. This is probably the upside of the married segments (though obviously they can be divorced, as the voucher upgrade scenario shows)
Ed Size, Justinus and remymartin like this.

Search this Thread