Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
This is a summary of rules and perks for AY+ members travelling on the new "unbundled" Light (basic) tickets

Seating
Seating will be automatic/random when check-in opens.
Seat selection is chargeable even after check-in opens.
Children will be seated next to one adult if booked in the same PNR. Adults and youths in same ticket can be spread all over cabin.

Tier member seat selection perk
AY+ silver gets free seat selection on BA operated flights from seven days before departure
AY+gold and plat gets free seat selection on any BA, AY and IB operated flight.
No one gets any free seat selection on any AA operated flight

Bag-allowance after applying tier perk
AY+ silver gets 1 bag on AY marketed and operated flights and on all AA marketed flights
AY+ gold gets 1 bag on AY marketed and operated flights, 1 bag on all IB marketed flights and 2 bags on AA marketed flights
AY plat gets 1 bag on all AY, IB marketed flights and 3 bags on AA marketed flights
No one gets any bags on any BA marketed flight.

Tier perks that works unconditionally
Premium check-in
Fast track security
Lounge access
Priority boarding
Print Wikipost

Light fares to North America

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Originally Posted by esledo
Yes, not possible anymore.
Fake news. I just walked off of an AA operated AY marketed flight as OWE. No problems whatsoever selecting a MCE seat at no charge.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by _ra_
Fake news. I just walked off of an AA operated AY marketed flight as OWE. No problems whatsoever selecting a MCE seat at no charge.
Ok, good for you.

Flew AA operated AY marketed Basic Economy two weeks ago and seat selection was free earlier in 2018 when the flights were booked but if I wanted to change the seats closer to departure that would have incurred a charge.

And the next AA operated AY marketed I have booked I am not able to open neither in AA MMB nor in AA App, so the end of the story basically.

Last edited by esledo; May 10, 2019 at 6:01 am
Old May 10, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AY Gold
And the next AA operated AY marketed I have booked I am not able to open neither in AA MMB nor in AA App, so the end of the story basically.
My free MCE required me to contact AA to get their PNR for the reservation which was not visible on the Finnair confirmation. Not sure if this helps currently though.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by jaakko3247
My free MCE required me to contact AA to get their PNR for the reservation which was not visible on the Finnair confirmation. Not sure if this helps currently though.
Yes, previously AA App was able to pull up Amadeus-made reservations with Amadeus (AY) PNR but that does not work anymore it seems.

However, just for the sake of it I contacted AA via Twitter to obtain their record locator and not surprisingly all seats are chargeable. AY marketed, AA operated, Basic Economy, AY Plat so mortal-OWE on reservation.

A picture of the "Fake News":

Old May 12, 2019, 3:38 am

Yes, previously AA App was able to pull up Amadeus-made reservations with Amadeus (AY) PNR but that does not work anymore it seems.
FWIW, AA’s Finnish site will not find anything with the Amadeus PNR, but the US site will. At least for me, switching to the US-EN page helps every time.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:18 am

FWIW, AA’s Finnish site will not find anything with the Amadeus PNR, but the US site will. At least for me, switching to the US-EN page helps every time.
Yeah, US desktop webpage finds AY reservation always and from there you can get AA record locator. AA US mobile page does not.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
_ra_, were you on a Basic Economy ticket or a higher fare?
Old May 12, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: AY+ Plat Lumo

However, just for the sake of it I contacted AA via Twitter to obtain their record locator and not surprisingly all seats are chargeable. AY marketed, AA operated, Basic Economy, AY Plat so mortal-OWE on reservation.

A picture of the "Fake News":

From AA website (https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...benefits.jsp):

1Basic Economy fares aren't eligible for upgrades, complimentary/discounted Preferred or Main Cabin Extra seats, Same Day Standby or Same Day Confirmed Flight Change.

If I read the site correct, then no free seat selection for OWE if flying Basic Economy..
Old May 12, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by reflektia
Yeah, US desktop webpage finds AY reservation always and from there you can get AA record locator. AA US mobile page does not.
Not working this time, tried several times. "We are unable to retrieve your reservation with the information provided. Please verify your information and re-submit."

Originally Posted by GeeTee77
From AA website (https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...benefits.jsp):

1Basic Economy fares aren't eligible for upgrades, complimentary/discounted Preferred or Main Cabin Extra seats, Same Day Standby or Same Day Confirmed Flight Change.

If I read the site correct, then no free seat selection for OWE if flying Basic Economy..
Yes, this should be obvious and this is how it has worked for AA marketed AA operated since the introduction of BE.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
_ra_, were you on a Basic Economy ticket or a higher fare?
Fare class K if I’m not mistaken.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
For those of us on HBO/Light fares on AY operated that couldn't get a seat assignment ahead, should we check-in earlier on AY to see if we get a chance to get seats together or is it is setup to do as much chaos as possible?

I don't have this issue on AA or BA with OWR, just AY.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Finnair has raised the price difference between Light and Standard tickets by 10 euros / oneway. The price difference used to be 40 euros.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Soooooo

I went and booked a HBO Ticket on ba Code operated by AY-AA-AA

My bad

But trying to find out how much is it to check in ONE bag, no one at Finnair seems to be sure...

ba wont let me add a bag online

Neither will Finnair
Kajaani says it will be charged @hel based on ba fees?

Anyone have experience with this?

I only need one bag for the three of us one OWE one OWS abd one pleeb 😂

Also is priority security based on operating or marketing carrier?

I was able to select seats on all flights no issues (finnair I had to call but all others okay online)

Read somewhere that boarding group is the last one, that will suck if true 😂.

Live and learn
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
I always get group 1 with HBO as BA Gold on these.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by duvin
I always get group 1 with HBO as BA Gold on these.
Good to hear 👍 I was suprised to get MCE as well so I am sure I will survive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.