Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Haven't flown Finnair LH for a few years so before my august JFK-HEL flight did check their current business class menus. Have always thought that 005/006 was their sort of flagship route but based on the menus, this isn't the case anymore. Very simple and boring and only a few options, compared to other US routes with at least five main options. This can't be flight time issue as the ORD service has pretty much the same flight time, LAX/SFO somewhat longer, so what going on with them? BA style enhancing away their business class service on US east coast routes or what?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by timma1971
BA style enhancing away their business class service on US east coast routes or what?
Purely cost cutting. Also many shenanigans such as using one tray service on AY5 but splitting courses on AY6...
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
AY2 LAX-HEL vegan starter and mushroom ravioli (from regular menu) main course. Both very very good. As amuse-bouche they only served nuts.

VGML starter

Mushroom ravioli.

VGML dessert.

VGML Breakfast
DALtoAAL, FFlash, emulator and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:11 am

Anyone have any update on hkg-hel midnight flight? There appears to be a salad option but not sure whether it is any good
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Back on my most frequent Trans-Atlantic crossing, ORD-HEL AY10. This flight was very meh, starting with robotic, mute crew, partly underwhelming catering and the worst, filthy cabin where everything seemed to be dirty and broken. A good crew could have saved a lot, but unfortunately that was not the case on tonight's flight. Kind of very Finnish service, in a bad way.
The positioning of the champagne glass on the napkin pretty much describes this whole flight....

Double bilberry and cold nuts

Appetiser and bread, no trays used so at least I can give them credit for that.

For the main I ordered the mushroom ravioli. First they brought me beef Stroganov. When I mentioned that to the crew, she fetched the meal away from me and served it to 1A.

And then this was brought to my tray...

...not looking very ravioli even if the crew insisted so...

....and after few minutes of searching, ta-daa, the ravioli, which was decent despite the lackluster looks.

Cheese plate for dessert

Worst breakfast of all my ORD-HEL flights, the tea was undrinkable (bitter as hell!) and the potatoes had weird texture and taste.
Carfield likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Is it too soon, or can I say LOL to the ravioli incident?
Peddling the wrong dish - twice!

If that happened to me, man... Well, I better just quote John McEnroe. [If that happened to me]"I'd be torching the stadium about now"
DALtoAAL likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
AY141, HEL-BKK, August 2019
This was one of the better AY flights, especially compared with my latest ORD-HEL lackluster. This time the purser and rest of the crew were extremely nice and the dinner was pretty good as well, breakfast on the other hand was nothing special.

Pre-take off beverages

Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
AY141, HEL-BKK, August 2019
This was one of the better AY flights, especially compared with my latest ORD-HEL lackluster. This time the purser and rest of the crew were extremely nice and the dinner was pretty good as well, breakfast on the other hand was nothing special.

Pre-take off beverages
ORD/JFK-HEL-BKK and back have become regular flights for me. I've always had good crews on the US segments and mostly on BKK segments. However my last couple BKK segments the crew has really been a let down. My last HELBKK flight the crew even refused to hand out landing cards. The 1 Thai crew member insisted they no longer were needed. A number of us stated that's only true for Thai passport holders. Crew refused to hand out (they had them onboard) based on this 1 FA say. Same crew acted upset when you'd ask for a drink, even though you got up, meaning no coming to seat.

As for food, the menu just hasn't seemed all that great. I've liked the Salmon Dill creme soup. Otherwise I've taken to ordering a special meal to ensure get something I find decent. Breakfast is actually the one meal I always truly enjoy.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by flyerCO
My last HELBKK flight the crew even refused to hand out landing cards.
Seems like a common issue on AY about crew being completely clueless about immigration/customs forms. Last year JFK T8 eliminated the blue customs forms which was unknown to me during the flight. Reply was "You don't need them you use the automated kiosk to complete it" to which I said the machine will not process my visa and I'll need to go to via the booth. Was met with a blank stare and the purser did some digging in the galley and pulled out a stack of white I-94 which have been eliminated 10 years ago...
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:53 am

ORD/JFK-HEL-BKK and back have become regular flights for me. I've always had good crews on the US segments and mostly on BKK segments. However my last couple BKK segments the crew has really been a let down. My last HELBKK flight the crew even refused to hand out landing cards. The 1 Thai crew member insisted they no longer were needed. A number of us stated that's only true for Thai passport holders. Crew refused to hand out (they had them onboard) based on this 1 FA say. Same crew acted upset when you'd ask for a drink, even though you got up, meaning no coming to seat.

As for food, the menu just hasn't seemed all that great. I've liked the Salmon Dill creme soup. Otherwise I've taken to ordering a special meal to ensure get something I find decent. Breakfast is actually the one meal I always truly enjoy.
I guess YMMV. Service on Finnair flights seems to vary from excellent to depressing, it's really hit or miss, depending on the purser / crew. Catering usually feels slightly better on flights departing Helsinki, but that's also fluctuating. You really never know what you get before boarding the plane. They really should be more consistent with their overall product.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:39 am

AY142, BKK-HEL, August 2019

Very average AY flight, crew was okayish, the purser did her greeting in absolute minimalistic way and the steward (probably Italian guy?) serving my aisle was friendly enough. Meal was hit and miss this time. The appetiser was good, main not so.

Pre-takeoff water

Double bilberry with some fish based amuse

Scallops with pomelo salad. I heard fellow passenger few rows behind me being extremely upset about the small portion...?!

This tops on the list of most disgusting entree of the year! Like eating shrimp peel in a curry..was supposed to be soft shell crab. Really bad!

Cheese

Chocolate-banana and cheese cakes

Salmon salad

My own pre-arrival KAHVIKUTSUT with milk tea and cold cinnamon buns
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I guess I spoke too soon about US flights and me having no issues with meals. I'm onboard AY009 to ORD. Just before pushback the crew realized missing over 50 meals. How does one forget to load that many meals? How is it not caught till pushback?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
I guess I spoke too soon about US flights and me having no issues with meals. I'm onboard AY009 to ORD. Just before pushback the crew realized missing over 50 meals. How does one forget to load that many meals? How is it not caught till pushback?
What did they do? Turn the plane around or take off?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by deissi
What did they do? Turn the plane around or take off?
Aborted pushback, reopened doors. What really made this suck, broken APU. No A/C onboard since engines had to be shutdown for catering to come onboard. It had just started getting cool from engine start and off they went.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: AC E75K
Flying AY122 DEL-HEL on Saturday, Sep 7, and will be my first time on Finnair. Was looking for menus and noticed this page still shows the Jun 5 - Sep 3 cycle.

If the page isn't updated by Saturday, I'm considering ordering a special meal as the current regular options all seem quite heavy. (I don't any strict dietary restrictions but try to avoid food that is too rich or heavy in carbs.) However, my experience with special meals in J on other carriers (mostly AC and LH) have been very disappointing, so it's not an easy decision. Anyone who's had special meals in AY J have any experience or advice they can share?

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.