Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
smoked trout i had this month HEL-SIN was perhaps the best J meal i had in a while. Presentation is nothing special but tasted really good. what made this dish so special is they had intense wood smoke aroma, in a way some 5* restaurent serve their smoked dish. i dont know how they smoked it cuz cabin during preparation for a meal i smelled it. appetizer salmon was also very tasty. i would happily pay 40-50 usd for set of 2 dishes on ground. glad i stayed awake at 1am local time to eat tthis, very impressed. .

ffay005 and intuition like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Originally Posted by fakecd
smoked trout i had this month HEL-SIN was perhaps the best J meal i had in a while. Presentation is nothing special but tasted really good. what made this dish so special is they had intense wood smoke aroma, in a way some 5* restaurent serve their smoked dish.
I had the same two different salmon dishes on HEL-DEL yesterday and agree that the taste was fantastic!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by SPBanker
I had OK food and EXCELLENT service at the end of June ORD-HEL.
@SPBanker: for quite some time, I see you post mosly EXCELLENT service onboard. That makes me wonder if you make it easy to have excellent service, but how?

To open that statement, I explain this way: I use to try being very smiley and wish cabin crew a very good flight when entering the airplane. Even in the case that boarding etc prior has been a catastrophe and I might be on bad mood. I simply believe that offering that smile they might remember your face later on in the cabin and be more nice. The other way around, I suspect that if I board the plane and simply overtake cabin crew at the door without eye-contact or rather disgust, they might remember my face and be grumpy when coming to service. What else?
on22cz likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
adding salt to previous, my smile is sometimes so wide that my wife grunts me about being flirting with cabin crew. Oh well, not so seriously but she teases me about that sometimes
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Well, I for one think about it this way: if I want someone to be nice to me, then certainly I will be nice to them. It's common courtesy, and works both ways. Sure, I will complain if I find something wrong, but that can also be done without attacking the person you're complaining to (most likely it isn't that person's actual fault, anyway). Also, if you need a small favour, asking nicely and humbly will go a long way.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:58 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by FFlash
@SPBanker: for quite some time, I see you post mosly EXCELLENT service onboard. That makes me wonder if you make it easy to have excellent service, but how?

To open that statement, I explain this way: I use to try being very smiley and wish cabin crew a very good flight when entering the airplane. Even in the case that boarding etc prior has been a catastrophe and I might be on bad mood. I simply believe that offering that smile they might remember your face later on in the cabin and be more nice. The other way around, I suspect that if I board the plane and simply overtake cabin crew at the door without eye-contact or rather disgust, they might remember my face and be grumpy when coming to service. What else?
Hah, I mostly notice (and post) when things are above the normal. Sometimes substandard stuff happens too, but IMO much less frequently than some years ago.

On this particular flight the young-ish male FA working my aisle was very proactive, topping up my pre-departure drink etc. When we approached Finland, he came and asked whether I was still up for one more glass of champagne, "it would be such a shame to throw away such good drink". What could I do?!? Also, purser came over to introduce herself, we chatted a bit about upcoming vacations etc. At the end of the flight she came over again, asked about the flight, food, service etc. (AFAICT there were two Plats in the cabin.)
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
HEL-XIY in June. Since I had previously had the salmon and rainbow trout (as posted by fakecd above), which were absolutely excellent, I took the alternative and went for the chicken.

Menu card

The chicken

The chicken was all right, but it was nowhere close to the quality of the delicious smoked rainbow trout. If they have this menu the next time around, I will definitely do what they tell you not to in the movie Airplane... have the fish.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
I’m on a flight to SIN right now and experiencing some very minimalistic service. The aperitif served along with amuse bouche was water. With dinner they asked if I wanted water. I had to separately call the crew back to ask if they serve wine. No cheese was mentioned even if it was on the menu. Nobody asked if I wanted it, or a digestif - or even coffee or tea. and of course everything served on the same tray....

Perhaps our 2.45 am departure and 3-hour delay had something to do with this, but on a 11-hour flight you’d think there was time if someone wanted the full meal....
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
I’m on a flight to SIN right now and experiencing some very minimalistic service. The aperitif served along with amuse bouche was water. With dinner they asked if I wanted water. I had to separately call the crew back to ask if they serve wine. No cheese was mentioned even if it was on the menu. Nobody asked if I wanted it, or a digestif - or even coffee or tea. and of course everything served on the same tray....
Sounds extremely lazy indeed. Do send some feedback.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
The chicken was all right, but it was nowhere close to the quality of the delicious smoked rainbow trout. If they have this menu the next time around, I will definitely do what they tell you not to in the movie Airplane... have the fish.
I had that chicken HEL-BKK recently and I thought it was delicious. So many flavors and it was fairly 'light'. Really good. The starter (root) was also a highlight, but even better was the Asian starter salad BKK-HEL. Very impressive.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
Sounds extremely lazy indeed. Do send some feedback.
I did. Turns out it was Erika who responded.
lkrt likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:47 am

Out of curiosity, on which long-haul flights does Finnair NOT serve a "Business Light" / Midnight meal" etc. one-tray meal, but actually does it properly, one dish at a time?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:41 am

Out of curiosity, on which long-haul flights does Finnair NOT serve a "Business Light" / Midnight meal" etc. one-tray meal, but actually does it properly, one dish at a time?
in May, Shanghai was not light.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: LH SEN
Catering changes 12 Sep

As some may have already noticed, Tommy Myllymäki's "Autumn menu" started on 12 Sep on flights ex-HEL. As usual, the menus are available here.

The new signature dishes seem to be:

Starter
  • Celeriac and Wästerbotten cheese with truffle vinaigrette
Main courses
  • Baked cod with crayfish sauce, chanterelles, tomatoes and new potatoes
  • Roasted pork belly with tarragon sauce, cep mushroom purée and autumn vegetables
  • Creamy cep mushroom soup with smoked reindeer (Weirdly listed as a main course also in day time menus and not present on all routes, e.g. missing from HEL-JFK)

Some routes have a dish named "Chef's special", either outbound (e.g. HEL-NRT/KIX/NGO) or inbound (e.g. BKK-HEL). Is that just a random dish that the local catering happens to have available that day?

A new Jymy ice cream flavor Blackcurrant introduced. More importantly, now there seems to be a "proper" dessert (cake) available instead of those sad "petit fours". I suppose the "new" 'Nordic Business Class' service is now on all routes? At least "kahvikutsut" is mentioned also in the lowly BKK-HEL menu.

Please post pics and comments how those turn out.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
At least AY141/142 BKK has non-light service. I even enjoyed dine-on-demand on AY142 yesterday. J loads were quite light and the FA serving my aisle suggested that I could eat whenever I wanted. Perfect, since I had quite a substantial breakfast at my hotel right before heading for the airport. ^
Steve_Hun and CeruleanBlue like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.