Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Very tasty midnight meal on HEL-SIN (though I skipped the main) ^

Also, Singaporean crew very status aware, I was addressed by name from the moment I boarded, got first choice of meals and first service, several times checked if I'm OK ^
ffay005 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Hello there!

I've got an upcoming ORD-HEL flight later this summer and was wondering about how AY handles vegetarian meals in J. Is it comparable to the normal J meals or do the just serve the same thing you'd get in Y? I've set my preference to non-dairy vegetarian in my profile and see no way to change it now. Will that change at the 30 day mark?

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by petteriusa
I've got an upcoming ORD-HEL flight later this summer and was wondering about how AY handles vegetarian meals in J. Is it comparable to the normal J meals or do the just serve the same thing you'd get in Y? I've set my preference to non-dairy vegetarian in my profile and see no way to change it now. Will that change at the 30 day mark?
AY's vegetarian meals are alright in J, they have a J vegetarian meal. However, I would say it is not necessarily up to the standards of the meat options. Normally, the appetizer is something like vegetarian sushi or a salad with pomegranate seeds and tofu slices. The main is usually falafel balls or something made from soy. It's usually pretty good. As a dessert, they've loaded a fruit platter for you but I've always gotten ice cream or something else from the actual menu just by asking.

The second meal usually (especially from outports) is a vegetable pasta.
petteriusa likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If you look at Dantorp videos on youtube you can see some examples of the AY veg J meals.
If you want your preference changes you can use the chat function on the AY site and they'll change whatever you'd like. Worked well for me.

Originally Posted by lkrt
AY's vegetarian meals are alright in J, they have a J vegetarian meal. However, I would say it is not necessarily up to the standards of the meat options. Normally, the appetizer is something like vegetarian sushi or a salad with pomegranate seeds and tofu slices. The main is usually falafel balls or something made from soy. It's usually pretty good. As a dessert, they've loaded a fruit platter for you but I've always gotten ice cream or something else from the actual menu just by asking.

The second meal usually (especially from outports) is a vegetable pasta.
petteriusa likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Hello
I very recently had my first long haul flight with Finnair, JFK-HEL. Unfortunately, while the service was decent, I must say that for me it has been the worst meal ever in a premium cabin, and usually I eat everything without much complain.

Appetizers and main course served together on a tray. Appetizer consisted in a small plate of green salad (with dressing to add), and another plate with 2 slices of cured salmon and beetroot carpaccio in cubes + some not identiied other vegetable... everything freezing cold!
The main was swordfish steak with roasted sweet potatoes: fish was very dry, and the potatoes looked more like boiled than roasted. Taste was not of my like and I couldn't finish them. Bread was ok.
As dessert I choose the ice cream, a little tube of Häagen-Dazs, served so frozen that no spoon could penetrate it. I think it took 15 minutes minimum to melt enough to start eating.
I didn't try breakfast as I wanted to maximize sleep time.

I was very disappointed in the quality, especially after having tasted short haul breakfast (decent) and short haul lunch (now that was very good, with a particularly tasty risotto) going from HEL to LHR.

I still have a long haul with AY, again on JFK-HEL service. Now I'm curious to see if I was just unlucky or it's the norm.
However, adding the aircraft state and the related IFE, I don't think I will choose again AY for US trips.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Oh, it's the norm. AY catering ex-JFK is terrible. Probably only ex-DEL is worse.

Next time, ask them to bring the ice cream together with your tray. They might roll their eyes but that way it'll have time to thaw. Otherwise it's rock hard if they don't bother to take it out of the carbon ice in time.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:44 am
R2

Originally Posted by ffay005
Oh, it's the norm. AY catering ex-JFK is terrible.
+1. For breakfast they usually serve 'Freshly baked bagels' which are cold and definitely not fresh. A more apt description would be 'straight from the plastic bag'.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by ffay005
Oh, it's the norm. AY catering ex-JFK is terrible. Probably only ex-DEL is worse.
Next time, ask them to bring the ice cream together with your tray. They might roll their eyes but that way it'll have time to thaw. Otherwise it's rock hard if they don't bother to take it out of the carbon ice in time.
Originally Posted by R2
+1. For breakfast they usually serve 'Freshly baked bagels' which are cold and definitely not fresh. A more apt description would be 'straight from the plastic bag'.
Thank you. Not what I hoped for, but thank you
Out of curiosity, is mostly the same also from other US cities or it's just JFK that's horrible?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Lefly
Out of curiosity, is mostly the same also from other US cities or it's just JFK that's horrible?
I had borderline inedible food and horrible service ex-ORD back in May. One of my worst flights in longhaul J.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:40 am

However, adding the aircraft state and the related IFE, I don't think I will choose again AY for US trips.
My solution is to eat in the Flagship lounge before and then go straight to sleep.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
MY service & food out of SFO was quite decent. The breakfast didn't look great but tasted fine.

tusphotog likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Be aware that some of the menus on the Finnair web page for long haul flights are not updated. Yesterday ORD-HEL had menu 0618, but the menu on the web page was still 0518. So the food as diffrent.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:10 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I had borderline inedible food and horrible service ex-ORD back in May. One of my worst flights in longhaul J.
I had OK food and EXCELLENT service at the end of June ORD-HEL.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Samesame, end of April ORD-HEL, pretty decent food (pictures in up-thread) and very good service in half empty J-cabin.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by SPBanker
OTOH I had a very nice flight on the outbound with the best food I've had on AY and service was decent too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.