Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 13, 18, 5:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: intuition
Wiki Link
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 12, 18, 1:58 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Posts: 5,139
Good reminder, I always wanted to taste that Rudolfs knuckle pan. I order it for my next
FFlash is offline  
Old Mar 13, 18, 12:45 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 420


A surprisingly nice Turnip and Goats / Blue cheese thing on the HEL-HKG. And I say this as someone who does not generally like goats cheese.
Steve_Hun likes this.
tinkicker is offline  
Old Mar 17, 18, 12:55 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: AY PLT, AA PLT, DL FO, LH, EK, TK, IHG PLT w/AMB, Marriott Silver
Posts: 359
Well, well, it's been about 1,5 years since my last Finnair long-haul business class flight before last night's AY151 and what can I say...color me impressed! The whole service concept was different, no more trolleys on the aisle as everything was hand delivered from the galley according to your meal order asked by flight attendant. Other than that the service was very Finnairsque, not the warmest but pretty effective. And I also have to say that I was also pretty impressed about the quality of the food. The signature meny by Tommy Myllymäki felt fresh and simple with some decent options. I especially liked the non-omelette option for breakfast. About the wines...sorry guys, I stick only to diet coke and water on this flight, how boring was that?!. Considering this was on a "lomanoloinen lento" I have to say it was surprisingly good experience. Three ^^^



Amuse bouche, Vendace roe with tarragon creme fraiche, lemon and Åby rye cracker


Starter, gravlax with cucumber, coleslaw salad with horseradish, Main course, cod with parsnip, onions, potatoes and anchovies


Dessert, cheeses Peltolan blue and Viinitarhuri


Breakfast, bagel with cold smoked salmon
NoWindowSeat and Purjelentaja like this.

Last edited by DALtoAAL; Mar 17, 18 at 12:57 pm Reason: typos
DALtoAAL is offline  
Old Mar 18, 18, 4:02 am
  #79  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: AY Platinum
Posts: 287
I've had the horseradish coleslaw gravlax too. It's absolutely amazing. I'm going to try making it at home.
trooper likes this.
heatsink is offline  
Old Mar 18, 18, 7:26 pm
  #80  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Posts: 5,080
Sort of off-topic and then again not: I just read this review of a LX longhaul J flight: Review: Swiss Business Class 777 San Francisco To Zurich - One Mile at a Time

Strikingly similar to AY, and here I was imagining that LX was some kind of a high-quality airline. I suppose I should have known better, after all they're a mere subsidiary of LH nowadays

Perhaps AY's tightwad concept isn't that unusual among European airlines after all.
ffay005 is offline  
Old Mar 19, 18, 11:29 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN*, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 410
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
Sort of off-topic and then again not: I just read this review of a LX longhaul J flight: Review: Swiss Business Class 777 San Francisco To Zurich - One Mile at a Time

Strikingly similar to AY, and here I was imagining that LX was some kind of a high-quality airline. I suppose I should have known better, after all they're a mere subsidiary of LH nowadays

Perhaps AY's tightwad concept isn't that unusual among European airlines after all.
I fly both AY and LX longhaul J often enough. It's really no contest these days anymore. AY has improved by leaps and bounds, while LX has stagnated. Comparing a AY 350 against a LX 777 is a pretty sad contest - for LX. I think AY food when leaving HEL has been consistently good, and I'd rank it somewhat higher than LX. If both are an option for your flight, I really don't see why you should pick LX, AY is simply better in many ways, and much cheaper as well. LX can cost twice as much in J, and it really is not great value for money at all.

One day I will win the lottery and only fly LX F, though.
ffay005, DALtoAAL and Steve_Hun like this.
BlueNordicSky is offline  
Old Mar 23, 18, 1:21 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: AY PLT, AA PLT, DL FO, LH, EK, TK, IHG PLT w/AMB, Marriott Silver
Posts: 359
Aaaaaand we're back in the regular AY service concept! Same aircraft, same crew, same city pair in opposite direction (HKT-HEL), completely different service concept?! My initial expectations regarding catering ex-HKT were pretty low to begin with. But for some reason I thought that the service delivery would be about the same as on the outbound. No it wasn't. On this segment, the flight attendants were using carts for meal service and there were no linens on the tray table, just on the tray. There was only one option for starter and same with the second meal service, your options were simply to eat or not to eat. And as for the food, it was just what I expected it to be. Unmemorable.

Amuse bouche of shrimps


Starter smoked salmon, main course stir fry of chicken with rice and bok choy


Dessert cheeses, Emmenthal and blue cheese


Mid-flight snack sandwiches


Pre-arrival meal chicken breast with pasta and broccoli, dessert fresh fruit
DALtoAAL is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 10:35 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Malaysia
Programs: MH Platinum/ OW Emerald
Posts: 412
Gonna be flying Finnair for the first time in 2 weeks.
Finally now I am able to select dinner options on the website (wasn't possible for months).
However, when I select them and continue, the preferences are not saved. I tried 3 times without success.
It's getting incredibly frustrating and quite frankly it spoils the experience with this airline before even boarding!
Absolutely baffling how in 2018 a supposedly premium carrier can fail this badly..
quinzinho is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 11:25 pm
  #84  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Posts: 11,502
At the final page, the one that looks like a confirmation of saved changes, you need to save changes once more. It is easy to miss, I've done ita few times aswell.
intuition is offline  
Old Apr 1, 18, 11:39 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Malaysia
Programs: MH Platinum/ OW Emerald
Posts: 412
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
At the final page, the one that looks like a confirmation of saved changes, you need to save changes once more. It is easy to miss, I've done ita few times aswell.
Can you advise which page?
I tried again, but don't see anything.

1 I select the meals
2 I select Continue
3 Getting a page "My Booking" with my fllight and seat details but NOT my meal selection.

I checked twice again, I really don't see any button where I can save changes...
quinzinho is offline  
Old Apr 2, 18, 1:02 am
  #86  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Posts: 11,502
Strange. They seem to have changed the flow. Same thing happens to me when I try now. I think this is a bug. Indeed very annoying!


If you look at the page top when selecting food, you see a progress-bar, indicating you are in step 3 and that step 5 is confirmation. But just as you say, you get returned to MMB as soon as you hit continue, so the confirmation step is never done.

One idea, if you want to try, is to also select at seat (dont worry you can come back and reselect later) . If selecting seat and selecting food takes you to step 5 then all good. Otherwise finnair chat will help you pretty effortlessly, but you are quite right this bad IT experience takes away from the overall. Sadly, Finnair web development is far below acceptable IMO
intuition is offline  
Old Apr 2, 18, 4:15 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Malaysia
Programs: MH Platinum/ OW Emerald
Posts: 412
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
Strange. They seem to have changed the flow. Same thing happens to me when I try now. I think this is a bug. Indeed very annoying!


If you look at the page top when selecting food, you see a progress-bar, indicating you are in step 3 and that step 5 is confirmation. But just as you say, you get returned to MMB as soon as you hit continue, so the confirmation step is never done.

One idea, if you want to try, is to also select at seat (dont worry you can come back and reselect later) . If selecting seat and selecting food takes you to step 5 then all good. Otherwise finnair chat will help you pretty effortlessly, but you are quite right this bad IT experience takes away from the overall. Sadly, Finnair web development is far below acceptable IMO
OK thanks for your help. I don't dare to alter my seat selection as I'm very happy with those seats. I'll give the chat a try.
quinzinho is offline  
Old Apr 2, 18, 6:38 am
  #88  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Posts: 11,502
OK, good luck!

(Also reporting back that changing seats and then pressing continue will take you to confirmation page - listed as step 4 of 4 (!) - and produce an email with any seat assignment done. I don't know if it also saves the meal choice, didn't try that.)
intuition is offline  
Old Apr 2, 18, 10:05 am
  #89  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Posts: 5,139
Too bad I forgot to take photos but the new sakura meal in J was a good one! Starter turnips was good and nicely laid, also cod as main was good (seldom well done)
Kudos to AY for once
Trying to remember take some pics on homebound
SPBanker likes this.
FFlash is offline  
Old Apr 3, 18, 1:26 am
  #90  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Malaysia
Programs: MH Platinum/ OW Emerald
Posts: 412
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
OK, good luck!

(Also reporting back that changing seats and then pressing continue will take you to confirmation page - listed as step 4 of 4 (!) - and produce an email with any seat assignment done. I don't know if it also saves the meal choice, didn't try that.)
The Live Chat turned out to be my savior. They did an efficient job in selecting my meals.
Thanks for your suggestion.
SPBanker likes this.
quinzinho is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: