Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 13, 18, 5:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: intuition
Wiki Link
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 21, 18, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver

For comparison this is what I had today on a midnight departure on DXB-ZRH in Swiss business. No choice at all and the only thing warm was the cup of soup. (Sorry for bad quality pic)

I don't think the one-tray concept for midnight departures on AY is that bad actually. IME Cathay Pacific does the same in HKG and BA doesn't serve any dinner on sleeper services. Of course the reduced service onboard should be compensated by having full dinner available in lounge before the flight.
Purjelentaja likes this.
Old Feb 21, 18, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
Does any other (legacy) airline offer such reduced catering on night departures on longhaul flights?
IIRC BA introduced a hated "meals appropriate for time of day" as a whitewash for savings.

Yes, it's a scary yet very realistic read. I wonder why we didn't have such a topic a long time ago. Now let's hope that AY comes to the same conclusion and finally does something about it. ^ ^
It was talked about at the seat testing meeting, and the response was that they are genuinely aiming for over-par meal service as a way of compeeting and that new concepts are developing. Now this was 6 months ago and all I've seen is more of the same "fame-by-association" marketing (ie hiring famous chefs to design meals - the latest one a Japanese chef). Oh, the new "fika" aswell.
NoWindowSeat and ffay005 like this.
Old Feb 21, 18, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja View Post
Lunch menu for BKK-HEL a week ago

The lunch was really tasty, one of the best airline meals for quite some time, presentation was nice and food was delicious. The light meal (pad thai) was not up to level of the lunch, it was just ok as it lacked seasoning: lime and peanuts.

Between the meals the crew was busy making sure no one can even think of getting hungry or thirsty, offering small snacks and drinks all the time, service was exceptionally good. Great flight.
I did a BKK-HEL last week too and had the exact same menu. I took different options to you: I had the Beef to start and Salmon main then later the Goats Cheese Salad. All fantastic, some of the best meals I've had in the air. As with your flight the crew were fantastic. It was one of my most enjoyable long haul flights I have taken out of BA, CX, QR and AY.
Old Feb 21, 18, 3:59 pm

So no one has flown to Shanghai, Seoul or Tokyo recently. Wasn’t the new service concept meant to start on February 7.
Old Feb 21, 18, 4:03 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by nordic View Post
So no one has flown to Shanghai, Seoul or Tokyo recently. Wasn’t the new service concept meant to start on February 7.
Looks like everyone is busy scrambling to OUL and back so no time to go to Asia..no wonder the grandstands are empty at the Olympics..😁
Old Feb 22, 18, 5:31 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by nordic View Post
Flew to PVG on 5th, missed by 2 days inbound was from SIN
Old Feb 23, 18, 7:06 pm

Programs: MH Platinum/ OW Emerald
I'm trying to book some special meals on long haul business flights, but without any success. When I go to Manage my booking, I do see all the special menus available spelled out, however they are NOT in the drop-down box where they're supposed to be.
I'm going mad.. what am I doing wrong?
Old Feb 23, 18, 7:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Use the chat, might be the easiest solution.
Old Feb 23, 18, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I have an AA J redemption in May from SFO-HEL then on to PRG. I've found several trip reports with menus doing the HEL-SFO route but not the return. Anyone have a photo of the offerings out of SFO? I have requested a kosher meal option for HEL-PRG to see how that turns out.

@tinkicker Low-Purine meals are for people with gout or a propensity for kidney stones. Purine is found in diets heavy in smaller fish & organ meats.

I did find "rape flower" a bit odd.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Feb 24, 18 at 9:21 am
Old Feb 23, 18, 10:29 pm

I would discourage from ordering special meals in Euro-J. While they might have a long list of specials, in reality they try to get away with as many special diets as possible as easily as possible, so you might end up having a vegetarian glutenfree tasteless disaster tray.

Sept 2017 SFO-HEL included (cold) nuts, two starter options, three main course options of which I had swordfish and mashed sweet potato (looked horrible and tasted next to nothing) and chocolate mousse as the only dessert option. I have pics, too, but uploading them requires a third party hosting site etc, too complicated, sorry.

On this particular flight, the FA tried to trick me into eating a turkey sandwich for breakfast because they had either run out of the roastbeef one, or had never got them in the first place. What a memory!
Old Feb 23, 18, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
@ffay005, thanks for the heads up on the specialty meal. I'll reconsider that move.

I'm setting my standards appropriately for the SFO-HEL meal services. I'll hope for a good day but will fill up doing my lounge hopping beforehand.
Old Feb 24, 18, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
never mind

Last edited by intuition; Feb 24, 18 at 4:46 am Reason: never mind
Old Feb 24, 18, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AY Gold, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by haapalainen View Post
BA doesn't serve any dinner on sleeper services.
That is simply incorrect. On sleeper services there is a light meal of two choices (example salad or pasta) plus dessert (such as a slice of cake), and I have found those to be pretty good given the time of the day (or night). At least on most routes one can have a good meal in the lounge (to mention JFK and EWR at least) before the flight as well.

Last night in J on AY28 HAV-HEL (STD 23:05 LT + 20 min delay) I was able to get the dinner tray at 1:08 LT, so 1,5 hrs after take-off. I really think AY should do something to speed up the service (especially on night flights), it seems that it hasn't really improved since the introduction of A350.

Menu HAV-HEL 23 Feb (Sorry, took a picture only of the Finnish pages)

Drinks served with sliced almonds, should have had some rusinat and glögi with those. What a joke.

One tray for the salmon starter, sea-bass & risotto main course and cheeses. Not much to write home about, the fish was very bland and the "risotto" was just dry rice.

The orange-chocolate cake was quite tasty, accompanied by a glass of De Bortoli Noble One.

The light meal was served around 2 hrs before arrival into HEL. The spinach lasagna was surprisingly good, though a bit greasy.

To add to this "Ylellinen Finnairin Businessluokka" experience there were no real duvets available on the flight, only s/h style thin blankets as "HAV cannot handle the real ones". Also no lounge at HAV (even though finnair.com states that there is) and apparently because of this the kid at row 4 was starving to death so the FAs started to cook noodles already before the doors were closed. Of course I also sent feedback about the pathetic ground experience at HAV (also to mention the 1,5 hrs wait for luggage after AY27) but I really think that relying solely on HAV lounge offerings would tell something of ones self-survival instinct.
ffay005, DALtoAAL and remymartin like this.
Old Feb 24, 18, 2:58 pm

For some reason (read: most probably money), AY uses T2 at HAV, which was terrible. Straight outta DDR... I'm happy I travelled with a carry-on only.

T3 was a lot nicer, and is used by most international airlines as well as Cubana. Flew AA out of HAV from T3.

HAV cannot wash the duvets... It was a nice enough city with a great atmosphere, but it's still a sort of Soviet Union, only with palmtrees. But why AY is unable to pack those duvets into a box and place them in the hold for washing at HEL is anybody's guess.

Made an interesting discovery regarding mid-flight snacks on AY27. You know how most airlines provide pax with those mini-sized crisp bags? AY, tightwads as they are, has one family-sized bag that the FAs open and pour into glasses. Guess what brand those crisps are?

Last edited by ffay005; Feb 24, 18 at 6:07 pm
Old Feb 25, 18, 5:18 am

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S

Made an interesting discovery regarding mid-flight snacks on AY27. You know how most airlines provide pax with those mini-sized crisp bags? AY, tightwads as they are, has one family-sized bag that the FAs open and pour into glasses. Guess what brand those crisps are?
Pirkka or Rainbow (only for HAV?)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: