Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 13, 18, 5:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: intuition
Wiki Link
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 18, 18, 1:59 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Thank you but sorry.
Viewing this tread I am not going to fly Finnair J any time soon.
I have a QR and a TK trip booked for 2018 so far, if TK is really good might fly them more versus QR.
Old Feb 18, 18, 2:10 pm

2 weeks ago HKG-HEL midnight flight.

I did not touch the cheese plate

Old Feb 18, 18, 3:10 pm

Thank u for the pics!
Food doesnt seem that appetizing.
Old Feb 18, 18, 4:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
While many of their dishes highlight local cuisine, it looks pretty basic for long-haul business class service.
Old Feb 19, 18, 12:01 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by tinkicker View Post
Ref the midnight menu: As a non-fish eater it's a pretty limited menu of basically cold duck with blue cheese (not a fan of blue cheese) or the soup. I thought the soup was good and the smoked elk bits very tasty but last time there was such a large lump of sour cream that it was basically cold.

I'd suggest eating in the lounge pre-departure though again it's pretty fish orientated!

The Finnish Gin (can't recall the brand) and Tonic is very good.
This is actually quite annoying issue in airtravel, there are ample about of made-up diets and imaginary problems but for those with allergies towards seafood there is never a pre-picked category. One can, and I do when travelling in C, call CS and ask for fish-free menu. I reckon globally fish related allergies are quite rare and no fish-alllergic would blow up the plane or create general somefeud on getting wrong food so in generally naturally airlines have to draw the line somewhere on how many categories to add up in the dietary options.
Old Feb 19, 18, 12:18 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
Regular AY fliers know it already but this thread is actually quite scary read...the AY J dishes look awful in many cases...some of them taste better than they look but this is not good publicity for AY for sure...
Old Feb 19, 18, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat View Post
Regular AY fliers know it already but this thread is actually quite scary read...the AY J dishes look awful in many cases...some of them taste better than they look but this is not good publicity for AY for sure...
Agree, especially the meal served on HKG-HEL flight looks quite horrendous. What is that stick with the cheese... a celery? And we are talking about the main meal on a 10 hour flight.

Last edited by teme; Feb 19, 18 at 4:48 am
Old Feb 19, 18, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by teme View Post

Agree, especially the meal served on HKG-HEL flight looks quite horrendous. What is that stick with the cheese... a celery? And we are talking about the main meal on a 10 hour flight.
It was celery indeed.

In my opinoin AY long haul business class meals aren't top, I would put them at the lower end of the competition but not in a different league (of legacy carriers) .
Old Feb 19, 18, 8:57 am
R2

I agree completely. If someone has photos please put a QR C meal, which is always served 'First class style' as opposed to a tray, next to these photos. The low-point I had in the past year was on AY6 JFK-HEL, absolute disgrace and nowhere near matching the fancy description on their webpage and the menucard blahblaah about the best of the Nordic nature etc.
Old Feb 19, 18, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
One of the main problems is how the dishes are presented. Usually they are quite tasty and well prepared, but as the mains are not plated onboard, the appearance is very often not at all appealing, even though the taste is good. It would be totally different story if they plated the same food just before serving instead of heating up pre-plated dishes, like many of they competitors are doing.

Another story then is lack of proper desserts, in addition to ice cream and petit fours.
Old Feb 19, 18, 12:58 pm

Programs: AY PLT, AA PLT, DL FO, LH, EK, TK, IHG PLT w/AMB, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by R2 View Post
I agree completely. If someone has photos please put a QR C meal, which is always served 'First class style' as opposed to a tray, next to these photos. The low-point I had in the past year was on AY6 JFK-HEL, absolute disgrace and nowhere near matching the fancy description on their webpage and the menucard blahblaah about the best of the Nordic nature etc.
QR is definitely something different than AY, here are some pics from last week, QR304, HEL-DOH.

Pre-takeoff beverage & hot towel

Pineapple Margarita & nuts

Amuse Bouche salmon, caviar & potato salad

Appetizer salmon & potato sald

Main Paneer Tikka Masala

Dessert Coconut Pannacotta
Old Feb 19, 18, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum View Post

This is actually quite annoying issue in airtravel, there are ample about of made-up diets and imaginary problems but for those with allergies towards seafood there is never a pre-picked category. One can, and I do when travelling in C, call CS and ask for fish-free menu. I reckon globally fish related allergies are quite rare and no fish-alllergic would blow up the plane or create general somefeud on getting wrong food so in generally naturally airlines have to draw the line somewhere on how many categories to add up in the dietary options.
yeah I just want decent labelling of what's there. Though to be honest even then you can get caught out. I tried to order the vegetarian stir-fry rice in the Cathay Lounge at LHR this evening and they wouldn't serve it to me as it was made on the same griddle as shellfish. (the conversation had started with me saying I was surprised to see the chicken chow-main had a shellfish marker and so I'd have the veg rice instead)

... oh well. The veg soup was excellent.
Old Feb 19, 18, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Originally Posted by casper79 View Post
2 weeks ago HKG-HEL midnight flight.

I did not touch the cheese plate
AY calling that a cheese plate is an insult. To the passenger. And to the cheese.
Old Feb 21, 18, 6:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Very good thread! And now that I've left HAV, where internet access was not too easy, I'll be able to comment, too.

To my surprise, HEL-HAV (menu read HAV/POP/PVR) was not a BusinessLight flight. I didn't take a photo of the menu, but there was an amuse bouche (roe), a choice of two appetizers, a petite salad, a choice of three main courses (I had preordered the reindeer, preorders are now possible, too, and it was perfectly cooked), Jymy lemon & vanilla + petite fours + cheese. I was satisfied with everything except the amuse bouche. It's of course my problem that I don't like roe, but it seemed to me that quite many pax skipped the amuse bouche. Perhaps it would be more sensible to offer something less exotic?

The second meal had two choices, some Indian-style cheese and vegetable dish and a very good tortellini with chanterelles and veal. It didn't look appetising but the taste was great. It came with a small side salad, fresh fruit and a croissant.

This is a bit off-topic, but I had a very nice crew, too. No J blankets supposedly, they aren't able to wash them in HAV so we only had Y blankets, but J pillows. Go figure...

Yes, it's a scary yet very realistic read. I wonder why we didn't have such a topic a long time ago. Now let's hope that AY comes to the same conclusion and finally does something about it. ^ ^
Old Feb 21, 18, 7:04 am

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja View Post
HEL-HKG midnight menu a couple of weeks ago

There was no starter, but only main course, cheese and ice cream for dessert. Remembering the time of the flight (past midnight) I think the dinner even without starter was quite fine. The herring was very tasty, and I heard the beef was good as well.
So basically this is a J meal with the amuse bouche and the starter removed. I strongly disagree with the "past midnight" point here – while it might be past midnight at HEL, the pax might all be on quite different timezones, having come from different parts of the world and continuing to who knows where. Some have just woken up, some will want to sleep. It's not for the airline to choose when a J pax should eat what, it should be the pax who makes the choice.

Does any other (legacy) airline offer such reduced catering on night departures on longhaul flights?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: