Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Longhaul menus are supposed to be visible in MMB, but it is often broken. At the time of publishing, this link works.
Collection of current longhaul J menus (finnair.com)
Print Wikipost

Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by ffay005
By return catered, you mean catered ex-HEL, right?

In January, I was told by a CC who seemed very knowledgeable that all pax meals are catered ex-DEL. You could also see it, the tin foil packaging was different from HEL and the butter was Indian etc. All crew meals, OTOH, were catered ex-HEL and kept in dry ice. Of course, things might change over time, but it would take quite a lot of galley space to cater everything ex-HEL.
That‘s what I mean yes. Alternatively, they could probably also load it as „cargo“ below instead of in the galley.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by ffay005
By return catered, you mean catered ex-HEL, right?

In January, I was told by a CC who seemed very knowledgeable that all pax meals are catered ex-DEL. You could also see it, the tin foil packaging was different from HEL and the butter was Indian etc. All crew meals, OTOH, were catered ex-HEL and kept in dry ice. Of course, things might change over time, but it would take quite a lot of galley space to cater everything ex-HEL.
Everything is from AY kitchen in HEL due to hygiene issues in DEL, this was changed last summer.
ffay005, florens and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Anyone know the food options on AY143 in Nov. can t see anything online.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Anyone know the food options on AY143 in Nov. can t see anything online.
You're talking about the time after 11/20th? Because until that date it's online https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/business-class-menus
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Seyan
You're talking about the time after 11/20th? Because until that date it's online https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/business-class-menus
Yes I m going later, and I can t see anything online, anyway I ll try it later on
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:28 am

Yes I m going later, and I can t see anything online, anyway I ll try it later on
I'm also waiting for the new menus, my flight is on 11/22th...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:51 am

Must be really hard to update the business menus ;-)
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Seyan
Must be really hard to update the business menus ;-)
It´s even harder to go on a trip without pre-ordering your food :-)
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:18 am
R2

On a flight earlier this week I noticed one thing they've updated...you know how the espresso machines are not working on about 50% of the flights. They have now added a footnote on the menu card below the coffee section: Espresso, Cafe Latte *available on select flights only.

What a cunning way of saying we have an espresso machine but a) forgot to load the capsules b) didn't do the maintenance for it c) can't be bothered to turn it on cause we're not quite sure how to operate it d) to serve instant coffee is just fine for an airline that aspires to offer the best LH business class in Europe.
florens and esledo like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:02 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Sad to hear that. Good coffee could and should be a part of any concept that wants to distinguish itself above the mediocre.
florens likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:34 am

It´s even harder to go on a trip without pre-ordering your food :-)
The panic is over! Menus from 21st November are now available on the website.

Interesting to see that the previous "leisure routes" of HKT/KBV/SGN no longer have a simplified menu: there is the normal-looking choice of 2 appetisers and 3 entrees.

Separate question - does anyone have recent experience with VLML long-haul meals? Are they any good, or is it just economy-style pasta-with-tomato-sauce? I'm on the HKT flight in a few weeks, would sometimes eat fish if the veg option is awful, but there are no meat-free breakfast options.

Thanks a lot
Ed Size likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by zchapk9
Separate question - does anyone have recent experience with VLML long-haul meals? Are they any good, or is it just economy-style pasta-with-tomato-sauce?
Well, it's never been pasta ex-HEL but almost always the light meal ex-Asia is pasta and some sauce. The food ex-HEL usually is something like falafel balls, veggie sushi, potato mash with mushrooms and tofu or something similar. In my opinion it's not up to the standards of "normal" food, which is a pity.

Do note that ex-HEL VLML is also vegan and gluten-free, which also restricts the options they can offer.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
See my post upthread with an example of a vegan meal.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:30 am
R2

AY102 Menu

AY102 HKG-HEL yesterday. Day flight which feels looong (just under 10 hours) so a great opportunity for AY to deliver on their promise of a 'Nordic nature signature menu with the best, fresh tastes and seasonal ingredients'

'Finnish traditions signature dishes by executive chef Jaakko Sorsa are served on Finnair's long-haul flights leaving Hong Kong'. This is a bit misleading as there was exactly one appetizer by Mr Sorsa on this flight and none of the main courses.

One of the Mains was 'Chef's Special' but not by Mr Sorsa. I asked the FA what the Chef's Special was and she said it's Chicken with rice. I said it doesn't sound very special to me. The reply came back 'Yes, but it is Chinese style'. Oh well I thought, if that makes it special I rest my case...

For starter I had the Roasted beef which was really nice. Main course Salmon was nothing to write home about.

The mid-flight Finnish coffee service 'Kahvikutsut' was a big letdown. They really should call it students' coffee party. Or what do you think of the following:
- Instant coffee only ('as the espresso machine not working today')
- Cold cinnamon rolls and some industrial looking and tasting super sweet cake that seemed like it had spent its life of several days tightly wrapped in plastic
- Savory treats consisted of dry rye crisps and potato crisps (yes the infamous Pirkka-sipsit, I saw the bag in the galley later)

Later they also served tuna sandwiches - again tigthly wrapped in plastic...the type you would have found at petrol station cafeterias 20 years ago.

The 'self-service snack bar' in the galley was the usual AY standard...cheap peanut-raisin mix, some candy, pirkka-sipsit and Fazer chocolates.

I really wish they would spend just that little bit more to raise the bar and make it feel more premium and less like the outcome of 'how can we spend the least and get away with it'. CX, QR and even BA do a much better job on the mid-flight snacks but what AY offers makes even KL look good.

OT: interestingly instead of the usual all HK cabin crew they had a spanish purser and two japanese FAs.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
AY102 menucard.pdf (226.3 KB, 46 views)
vulle and esledo like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
AY 142 BKK-HEL
DEC 18

As this was my first long haul flight on AY as Plat, I was curious to see how the service and catering would be. Some parts were really nice, some felt bit underwhelming.

The purser came to greet me at the beginning of the flight. She was one of those old-school-type pursers with quite weird choice of words “Your personal server (palvelija) will be xxxxx”! Alrighty! My personal server was really nice, younger guy, who was very attentive and remembered all the requests I had.

Double Bilberry cocktail with salmon canapé. The cocktail was surprisingly refreshing, not too sweet at all. I could have easily had second one!

On with the meal. One of the major surprises was that there were no trays used, so the service felt a notch upgraded. Appetizer was shrimp and scallops, tiny portion but tasty.

Main course of salmon with potatoes. Salmon tasted ok, potatoes not so much. Presentation was above the Finnair average, maybe the dill garnish made the trick.

Cheeses. Pretty plain, ice wine was nice.

Ice cream and chocolates. The presentation is cheap, other airlines offer the same kind of tubs in Y.

Kahvikutsut. I like the idea that AY has some distinctively Finnish elements on their service. However, the selection was not properly presented and it seemed that there were no savory items. So no chips. The cinnamon bun was warmed but quite tasteless, the cookie was forgettable but the cake was surprisingly nice. Tea was quite bitter.

Service before landing. I think this was a positive surprise, as the menu stated tuna salad, I was expecting canned tuna. But the tuna was fresh and tasty as were the other parts of the salad.

MId flight snacks seemed to be only some candy and nutmix which was put on offer in front of the seats on row one. I saw the famous Pirkka potato chips bag on the counter in the mid-galley, but was I really supposed to help myself directly from the bag? So as far as I see, there really was no snacks as I don't count the candy and nuts. It seemed that the meal service was on-demand, as my personal servant asked me, when I would like to have my lunch and several people opted to eat later.

cistavoda, Steve_Hun and Tapio like this.

Last edited by DALtoAAL; Dec 9, 2018 at 9:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.