Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get 50.000 points?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition
Best thing is to use the 72/144 hour transit visa system. In short, if you transit to third country within timelimit, no paid visa is needed.

For CAN, book a second flight CAN-HKG-CAN. There are 2 daily KA flights, will get you nice time in HKG lounge.
Is it possible with visa waiver fly back to CAN from HKG ?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:18 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, for visa puroses china reconizes HKG as "third country". What is important upon each entry into China is that you arrive from one country and have connection within timelimit to another. So what immigrations sees is that you (in a very short period of time) have two separate transit visa cases:
HEL-CAN-HKG ^
HKG-CAN-HEL ^

(Surely, if AY offers decent price OJ it saves time&money:
HEL-CAN // HKG-HEL)
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
BTW, there is also a 24h airside transit rule, whereby you don't need to apply even for transit visa if you stay airside less than 24h and have confirmed onward "international" ticket. This one I don't know the exact rules for.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition
BTW, there is also a 24h airside transit rule, whereby you don't need to apply even for transit visa if you stay airside less than 24h and have confirmed onward "international" ticket. This one I don't know the exact rules for.
Mostly not working with AY timetables to XIY CKG CAN when min. is 6/sun.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Mostly not working with AY timetables to XIY CKG CAN when min. is 6/sun.
This. But it should be possible with 2*72hr rule on both ways, right?

I.e. HEL-CAN-72hrs-HKG / HKG-CAN-72hrs-HEL

Do I understand correct?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Finnair Plat
Any idea of the pricing HEL-CAN/CKG-HKG-HEL?
The domestic flight can be in Y but LH in J. Finnair web-site was not able to reply, it asked to contact customer service.
Please allow me some comfort; when flying to the other side of the world, I want to get more out of it than just the points. For that purpose Thailand is best, good food, nice weather...
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I had some HEL-CAN-BKK-HEL (or the other way round) - AY was openjaw, the regional flown on widebody on some exotic arilines, like KQ or UL

PS - for CAN, the 72 hrs rule is not only for the city itself, but the whole Pearl River delta (Guagzhou province) Bad thing is that you cannot exit overland to Macau or HongKong.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Talonmies
Any idea of the pricing HEL-CAN/CKG-HKG-HEL?
Looks like ≈1710€

Finnair website is terrible, you need to learn to craft deeplinks.

https://www.finnair.com/FI/SE/deepli...IS_AWARD=false
manywhere likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all the good hints.
I booked J to BKK for next W/E ~1.700. The W/E is a bit long Thu evening until Tue morning. I'll keep you posted how my try to return earlier proceeds.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Talonmies
I'll keep you posted how my try to return earlier proceeds.
I think we have here a clear cut expectation how that proceeds: you will have to put a great amount of money on the table to return earlier so that it would have been cheaper to buy straight the intended flights.

But we are always interested how things continue since there is always a minimal chance that something changed.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar
I think we have here a clear cut expectation how that proceeds: you will have to put a great amount of money on the table to return earlier so that it would have been cheaper to buy straight the intended flights.

But we are always interested how things continue since there is always a minimal chance that something changed.
Yep, I got a polite answer and generous offer: I could upgrade the ticket to changeable for a marginal extra costs of 1.400. Thanks but no thanks.

Still, I was positively surprised: the reply was a polite yes. It's not their problem if I don't want to pay for the services i ask for. On the other hand, They could have sold my return flight highly likely at full price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.