Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair A350 business class foot space differences

Old Feb 8, 18, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW

Good morning,

I was flying business class in the Finnair A350. However, I did not feel really confourtable due to lack of foot space in the window seat. When checking out the cabin I saw that the foot space for the middle seats looked slightly different. Also all of them were occupied while some window seats where empty. Can it be that there is more space for the feet in the middle seats? I checked some pictures but not sure if the ankle of how the pictures were taken makes a difference but it looks like that the window seat is much more narrow.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Christian
Old Feb 9, 18, 12:25 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
Welcome to FT.

Some minor differences but overall the AY 359 config is just too cramped. For really big guys (like myself) it really doesn't make or break it, all seats are sub par for LH J. There are detailed "reports" in the dedicated 350 thread here..some prefer the bulkhead rows but there are then other annoyances like traffic to toilets and "snack bar" which is placed in front/on top of 1A/D.
Old Feb 9, 18, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW
Thanks. I will check it out. Could not find it when searching.I am also tall with 2 m and wondering if it worth to pay so much extra. Or just suffer in economy with extra legroom but saving 1900 USD.

Interesting that I am not alone. One member wrote exactly what i was feeling while sitting in this seat. Also same thinking that most probably economy plus will be better at the end.

Copied from another thread:

There's a lot of hyperbole and wishful thinking on this forum, but after flying HEL-PVG in 8L today I am quite seriously of the opinion that the A350 business class seat is unacceptable.

Sleeping is not even the main problem. It was completely impossible to find a comfortable way to *sit*.
  • The floor has a step exactly where you'd want to place your feet when sitting up. Place them in front of it and they're uncomfortably close. Behind it and they're too far.
  • If you decide to raise your legs instead, the stationary shelf is no replacement for the A330's proper calf support. It has multiple problems:
    • A simple shelf like this will place excess pressure on the heels. My ankles actually became sore during the flight. The A330's calf support ends before the heel.
    • Since the shelf doesn't angle itself with the seat, your legs are always pointing straight ahead. For most seat positions, this does not result in a natural angle for your hips and lower back.
    • It offers so little help with horizontal forces that you will actually slide forward in the seat, making your back's position even more awkward.
    • If you move the seat forward to make the gap smaller, you will very quickly end up with your outer foot pressing against the wall.
  • The armrest is so short that your arm won't fit on it, yet it's constantly pushing into you. Why is this part even installed?

Without sarcasm, I may end up feeling better flying economy comfort on the way back, because at least I'll be able to simply place my legs on the floor in a natural position without obstructions.

Just last month I flew SGN-HEL, one of Finnair's longest A330 flights, and felt supremely comfortable for 12 hours. After this 8 hour A350 flight, I was repositioning myself constantly and couldn't wait to get up.

That's right, I was sitting in a business class seat and couldn't wait to get up. This is not good.

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 11, 18 at 5:28 am
Old Feb 9, 18, 1:58 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Very valid points there and should copy those notes to the A350 thread and send also feedback to Finnair. IMO there has not been proper design and ergonomics engineers doing things right with that seat.
NoWindowSeat and ffay005 like this.
Old Feb 9, 18, 2:57 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I m always glad if someone see the same points here. But it looks like that the majority of passengers like the A350 J cabin - since its so modern. I always prefer the A330 on AY.
Old Feb 9, 18, 3:11 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
The A350 J has its flaws, but these days I still prefer it to the A330 J. Everything feels a bit more fresh. The A330 has so much wear and tear in the seats and every surface you touch is dirty. Also the IFE feels very outdated (especially the moving map!). The lack of storage applies to both seats and is a very annoying feature.
Old Feb 9, 18, 3:32 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Are they not replaceing the A350 J seat? Or am i mistaken?
Old Feb 9, 18, 4:40 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Originally Posted by lkrt View Post
The A350 J has its flaws, but these days I still prefer it to the A330 J. Everything feels a bit more fresh. The A330 has so much wear and tear in the seats and every surface you touch is dirty. Also the IFE feels very outdated (especially the moving map!). The lack of storage applies to both seats and is a very annoying feature.
I favor the A330 configuration but also agree that otherwise the J cabin is very outdated in all aspects and dirty. They should do something about it.
Old Feb 9, 18, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Originally Posted by Sorte View Post
Are they not replaceing the A350 J seat? Or am i mistaken?
Initially, Finnair said that they will replace all J seats during normal maintenance, as Airbus has accepted responsibility over the quality issues. This would be identical seats in identical configuration.

Later, unofficially, there have been talks about going with a completely new seat and a new configuration. Some frequent flyers have been told that they intentd to remove one row in J cabin and make it less cramped. Others has participated in a AY run benchmark between 5 different vendors and entirely new seats.

IRL we really don't know what is happening right now.
Old Feb 10, 18, 1:36 pm

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by ChristianPNG View Post
Copied from another thread:
Sounds like that might've been one of my posts. If you had the same problems, you might be able to make it a bit better by placing a pillow under your legs. I eventually realized that it helps out a lot with the ankles and puts your hips at a better angle too.

Not that you should have to put that much effort into it, but still...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: