Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

In the footsteps of the Delhi Deli: same-plane return to DEL & 20k points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In the footsteps of the Delhi Deli: same-plane return to DEL & 20k points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Come on... you seriously think airplane food catered from India is not safe???
Yep. As ffay005 said, there were catering troubles ex-DEL. But as they have resumed catering I'll eat it. (and I'll eat all the Häääg-Dzz available as well)
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by ffay005
Yes. At the Finnair Kitchen event they actually confirmed this. AY had stopped using DEL catering and catered everything from HEL, also for the return, at the time because of some issues. They were about to start recatering at DEL, though, but crew meals still come from HEL...
Special meals too I think.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by florens
Special meals too I think.
So the options are:
  1. Eat normally
  2. Eat only ice cream
  3. Eat a special meal

or my recommendation:
  4. Eat only "salad" and wash everything down with plenty of Napue and Koskenkorva

Last edited by cistavoda; Apr 25, 2019 at 3:29 am Reason: added ;) to be clear
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Then AY was extremely cheap and used the wrong caterer.
Originally Posted by ffay005
That would not come as a great surprise

Nice comeback!
cistavoda likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by cistavoda
my recommendation:
Eat only "salad" and wash everything down with plenty of Napue and Koskenkorva
Well, basic tropical food training is not to eat uncooked things. And alcohol does nothing to the pathogens you may have consumed. If it can get past your stomach juices then 60% v/v alcohol can't harm it either.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:56 am

Well, basic tropical food training is not to eat uncooked things.
This. ^
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Well, basic tropical food training is not to eat uncooked things.
On my first trip to India years ago, the advice I got from my local friend was “don’t eat anything that’s not cooked, and don’t drink anything that you didn’t witness coming out of a sealed bottle”. I’ve lived by this for a large number of trips (except for the clearly safe places such as the Leela in Bengaluru), and never experienced the infamous Delhi belly.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by _ra_

On my first trip to India years ago, the advice I got from my local friend was “don’t eat anything that’s not cooked, and don’t drink anything that you didn’t witness coming out of a sealed bottle”. I’ve lived by this for a large number of trips (except for the clearly safe places such as the Leela in Bengaluru), and never experienced the infamous Delhi belly.
I have experienced Delhi belly, so has my partner, even though we followed these advices too.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
On my shameful mass tourism trip to Delhi a few months back I found myself eating an ice cream (or "kulfi" to be more precise) bought from a street vendor. I was with a friend so I was just going with the flow with him and I didn't notice until half way through the cold, but quickly melting, kulfi that maybe this is not such a good idea. Well nothing came out of it, but I think I won't be eating dairy products from an Indian street vendor any time soon again.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:38 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

I lived 20 years in India and wouldn't eat anything from street vendors, period. That said I have had my worst stomach upsets from my nieces daycare in Sweden. This xmas they also gave us the worst colds when we were all in my in laws place in Tornio. Nowadays we joke that tropical stomach upsets are nothing compared to winter dagis virus from the Nordics.
SPBanker, remymartin and cistavoda like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Eating salad in India is high-risk.

As a rule in India, I was told to avoid any food that isn't freshly cooked and served hot, whether from street vendors or restaurants, and that restaurants were risky beyond hotel restaurants that catered substantially to foreigners from beyond Asia. And that rule mostly served me well. That meant most ice cream was to be off limits, most salad and fruit off limits unless prepared in a way that involved peeling and/or using boiled and filtered water to clean and prepare the veggies/fruits. It didn't mean all street vendor food was off limits, just all non-hot food and most hot food except of certain sorts or from certain street vendors with a long history of serving foreigners too without issue. And most dairy was off-limits beyond the cocoons (with the exception of some yogurt). The main focus was to avoid anything that used regular tap water without the water having gone through a long boil and filter process before use, and so drinks beyond the homes were meant to be sealed carbonated beverages or bottled water bought from reputable sellers. Salad and ice cream were a general "no no". And being careful with keeping your mouth shut in the shower/bath and using only reputably-supplied bottled water for brushing teeth can definitely help in India.

I lived 20 years in India and wouldn't eat anything from street vendors, period. That said I have had my worst stomach upsets from my nieces daycare in Sweden. This xmas they also gave us the worst colds when we were all in my in laws place in Tornio. Nowadays we joke that tropical stomach upsets are nothing compared to winter dagis virus from the Nordics.
I used to eat some street food in India, but I sort of knew that freshly roasted corn cobs from some valley streets vendors and freshly grilled cut meat cubes on skewers at some places in Delhi and elsewhere in northern India was doing fine by me. The "winter vomit"-producing day care viruses in the Nordics seem to not hit (or not hit as hard) some kids who have had lots of exposure to India as it hits kids who haven't. Not sure if the difference is due to fortitude arising from prior exposure to pathogens or if it's due to having more exposure to having stricter rules about hand washing, bathroom use and what to eat and not eat. It could also be due to the "gross candy" buying and consumption habits that seem rather prevalent as part of the popular cultural in at least parts of the Nordic countries.

When I've had severe food poisoning from plane food -- rare as it has been for me -- it's never been from food served to me on flights departing India nor even from flights within India. It's been from plane food catered for US airlines flying from Europe or the US or food catered for European airlines flying within Europe or from Europe to the Americas. To my amusement, I've never had food poisoning from food that was served to me on domestic flights operated by Indian carriers with code-share operations with US or European carriers. The worst bout of food poisoning I've experienced has been when flying UA from BRU.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 26, 2019 at 2:11 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Eating salad in India is high-risk.
Sorry, on the AY forum salad means beer ...
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The "winter vomit"-producing day care viruses in the Nordics seem to not hit (or not hit as hard) some kids who have had lots of exposure to India as it hits kids who haven't. Not sure if the difference is due to fortitude arising from prior exposure to pathogens or if it's due to having more exposure to having stricter rules about hand washing, bathroom use and what to eat and not eat. It could also be due to the "gross candy" buying and consumption habits that seem rather prevalent as part of the popular cultural in at least parts of the Nordic countries.
Hmm... I grew up in an Indian village in 1980-87 with a pack of dogs to play with and a pond to swim in. Later during University in Bombay (1994-99) I had malaria thrice and thyphoid once, the latter probably originating from the office building 'canteen'. I think that is sufficient exposure to pathogens. The bloody dagis virus still gets me everytime I get in multiday contact with my nieces.
SPBanker and Carotthat like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hmm... I grew up in an Indian village in 1980-87 with a pack of dogs to play with and a pond to swim in. Later during University in Bombay (1994-99) I had malaria thrice and thyphoid once, the latter probably originating from the office building 'canteen'. I think that is sufficient exposure to pathogens. The bloody dagis virus still gets me everytime I get in multiday contact with my nieces.
Just goes to show that not everyone's constitution and prior pathogen exposure and results from the same is the same.

I guess one solution for you may be to try to minimize time with the nieces, but I'm not sure their cousins, their mom or the airlines will like that solution.

I have not yet gotten any kind of stomach-upsetting virus in the Nordic areas, and that's despite a substantial level of exposure to people in contact with daycares in the region. I do hear from some people that they think daycare teachers should have more fully-paid sick time off from work than the rest of the working population, and I'll take that as a sign that the hygiene hypothesis and its adult variant only goes so far in working.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AY Gold
I have never had any major health issues in SE Asia, I seldom catch a cold even. But it seems it's better to avoid Finnish daycare kids The last time I spent a whole day with these little sweethearts I got a severe bacteria related pneumonia and was hospitalized for six days, for the first time in my life.
oliver2002 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.