Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

In the footsteps of the Delhi Deli: same-plane return to DEL & 20k points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In the footsteps of the Delhi Deli: same-plane return to DEL & 20k points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by lento
Maybe those text in bold is the reason.
Most likely the second, non-bolded part: 'computer says no'.
I read the thread and posts as showing an onward ticket does not help.

It was not a question about being on one or multiple PNRs and besides, having a trip on one or multiple PNR has nothing to do with visa requirements.

Showing a onward ticket is suffcicient for a transit without visa says timatic, iatatravelcenter and the Indian embassy. Finnair and Delta says otherwise.

I think we are walking in circles here.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
No stamps?!
DEL has really gone downhill
No stamps!
Security did, however, stamp the BP. Twice.
intuition likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
DT means direct transfer. AI BPs have a big T already printed on it, others get the 'DT' scribbled on them. AY may have been fined by the Indian authorities in the recent past which may explain extra scrutiny.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

BTW, how is the AY service on the day flight DEL-HEL in business? I wanted to surprise the family by booking AY DEL-HEL-MUC instead of the usual LH DEL-MUC.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Peregrine415
Why not stay overnight in Delhi and enjoy Indian hospitality? The Lalit, a 5* Luxury property, is around $110 taxes and breakfast included in July.
That would be one option to consider, although right now AY doesn't operate ex-DEL on Mondays. It looks as if the route will be daily next autumn, though.Have you stayed at the Lalit? Would you recommend it? The location seems very good.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AY leves DEL in the morning, when there is hardly anything going on in T3 intl, so security should be pretty easy to cross. Traffic is not bad on weekends, especially that early in the day. That said, downtown DEL in the morning is rather unspectacular.
This sounds good. So there shouldn't be a long queue to immigration & security. What time would you plan on arriving at the airport? I wonder if I need to see a check-in agent, too, or if it's enough that I have a HEL-printed 'real' BP in hand. Traffic shouldn't be an issue since I would take the metro. But what I just realized is that DEL is often affected by fog in the mornings. On my MR, I landed at 6:50 and the fog had just cleared. at 5:25, it might be a different thing...
Originally Posted by intuition
Regarding taking DEL to the extreme; I was thinking more in the way where you would add more segments from DEL. Now, 4:55 does not allow much fun. Just a few domestic flights which might be risky. But for a slightly longer layover you could go to KTM (2:00 flight), MLE, RGN, ALA, DAC, PBH. I think that is what I would do, ticking some new countries off the list!
Perhaps not doable with the AY DEL schedule, but on AY99/100 to HKG you could actually very well do a double-same-plane-return since the AY plane stays in HKG for 9 hours 55 minutes. Should be plenty of time for a same-plane-return to somewhere. CX701/702 to BKK would leave HKG at 3:55 and arrive again 10:45 pm. That would be hardcore! Next AY DO?

BTW, how is the AY service on the day flight DEL-HEL in business? I wanted to surprise the family by booking AY DEL-HEL-MUC instead of the usual LH DEL-MUC.
I can't remember which topic it was, but not that long ago, Purjelentaja was really underwhelmed.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:41 am

Immigration and security at DEL want to see a real Finnair stock BP to stamp. So you either have to have that in hand or get one from AY checkin in DEL. When you want to get to checkin and enter the building, do not show the BP but some printout of your ticket since you are not allowed to leave the building after checkin.

Anyway, if you have a BP I would push it with showing up at immigration security at T-70min. If not report for checkin at T-120min
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Immigration and security at DEL want to see a real Finnair stock BP to stamp.
Real handwritten BP is ok also.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:26 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
A slight side-track, but readers of this thread thinking about the time for fun things to do during turn-round, might want to consider that AI has started flying DEL-CPH, *2*456*, departing DEL 14:30. Sadly no sunday or monday departure yet, but they recently increased from 3 to 4 weekly, so they seem to be on a roll.

Of course there is always the DOH and LHR route if you want to keep the circle trip witin OW.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG

Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: AY+Plat
I also have an example

And immigration stamp at Mumbai
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:45 am

32nd DEC.. special day in Mumbai?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: BA GfL
BTW, how is the AY service on the day flight DEL-HEL in business?
Service in J is on par with AY's JFK route. Cabin crew is mostly Finnish and probably one of few AY long haul flights crewed by Finnish nationals. AY flies A330 to DEL and all seats on starboard side have direct aisle access. Since it's a day flight, you get a nice view of the Himalayas 30-45 minutes into the flight. Two downsides: DEL flights use bus gates at HEL which usually means J passengers, who are first to board the bus, are also the last ones to get off since J and Y passengers take the same bus; and, because China flights usually land before DEL, I usually find myself behind hundreds of Chinese nationals by the time I arrive at passport control.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

BTW, how is the AY service on the day flight DEL-HEL in business?
Example food service (not recent):
Attached Images   
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:47 am

Oh dear. That second picture is what AI serves as meal on short 2 h domestic flights in economy.

We only have a 50 min connection to MUC at HEL, that immigration scenario with busses is not very enticing, especially since there are no more flights to MUC in the evening (OK there is a Lufthansa flight...) and it would be the sunday before school begins, I doubt my finnish family will appreciate that. So I will rather do AI day flight on saturday or LH satruday night.

BTW AI not only flies to CPH, but ARN too. Like VIE & MAD, return in business to India cost about 1800-2000 EUR.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:20 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
No, my final destination was Helsinki and transit in DEL
For someone not familiar with FT, and reading about AY, Idiotism and going from Helsinki to Helsinki via Delhi, with or without Visa, might position the I-term with something other than the airline. But, luckily, we know better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.