Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
a) does not get vouchers
At least there seems to be a small delay on giving the vouchers to everyone becoming Gold. I became Gold at the beginning of this month and received the vouchers on the 3rd. Just yesterday Mrs. r2d2 changed award points to become Gold. Her status was updated immediately but she hasn't received the vouchers yet.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Thanks for posting - very interesting.
I wonder why they've separated the perk allocation from the tier upgrade. Now people get "fake gold" instantly and then have to wait for a background maintenance sweep to get the real gold and the perks? It is great that account upgrades are instant (I assume free seat allocation and other online perks are also instant) but I see no reason to leave the vouchers out of the equation.
Junior has been "fake gold" for a week now, but maybe servers also gets a few days off for midsummer / juhannus

About the points expiry, it is starting to look like a bug to me. On the account it says numerous times/places that points do not expire, but the list of "expiring points" has been populated after becoming gold.

The dates and points batches has nothing to do with how/when points were earned. So that caught my attention. 16128 is just a too even number (only upper bits of a 16 bit word) and twice in a row is not random - there was a programmer behind this :-D
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Junior has been "fake gold" for a week now, but maybe servers also gets a few days off for midsummer / juhannus
Missus got her vouchers about an hour ago so obviously there is no midsummer break.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Looking again to avail of the new awards changes for positive, but no-no it seems that redemption is even more difficult. Nothing desirable during holidays or times or places where you could think of "sweet spots", such as Dubai... so sweet no sweet
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I'm not so sure I agree. Booked LPA, spending Christmas and New Year's there. 30k miles + €26. No waitlisting needed.

A revenue ticket would have cost €657, and with some flexibility, €517. Quite good value of points. ^
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ffay005
I'm not so sure I agree. Booked LPA, spending Christmas and New Year's there. 30k miles + €26. No waitlisting needed.

A revenue ticket would have cost €657, and with some flexibility, €517. Quite good value of points. ^
I requested flights for the holiday season with inbound immediately confirmed and outbound cleared within of 4 hours. For me it was 70€ + 31k points vs 400€. ^
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:02 am
R2

Originally Posted by FFlash
Looking again to avail of the new awards changes for positive, but no-no it seems that redemption is even more difficult. Nothing desirable during holidays or times or places where you could think of "sweet spots", such as Dubai... so sweet no sweet
Well, one needs to plan early...I booked HEL-DXB-HEL in C on the A359 for six people for the Feb school holiday week. For kids 30k + 44€ each as this was in May before the changes. And obviously for adults booked right after the change to get the new cheaper points rate

IME, since the program change in June they have reduced award ticket availability, however for an AY Plat they always release seats (award travel or upgrade) shortly after requesting.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by R2
however for an AY Plat they always release seats (award travel or upgrade) shortly after requesting.
I would second that, till the date I made a different experience. But quite general they clear seat if you go direction Asia, direction America I never got seat yet (on AY metal). I could get awards but on AB back in the days, even if the AY flight to ORD on the same dates looked pretty empty.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Originally Posted by R2
Well, one needs to plan early...I booked HEL-DXB-HEL in C on the A359 for six people for the Feb school holiday week. For kids 30k + 44€ each as this was in May before the changes. And obviously for adults booked right after the change to get the new cheaper points rate

IME, since the program change in June they have reduced award ticket availability, however for an AY Plat they always release seats (award travel or upgrade) shortly after requesting.
+1. I've booked several award tickets recently, with notices as short as two days. Nothing is ever available, but waitlist always clears in minutes.

The rationale of this system is completely beyond me, though. Why would you build an application to check the "availability" of award flights, if that "availability" has absolutely nothing to do with whether awards are actually available? Maybe an FTer with more insights into how airlines operate can explain?
intuition likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:22 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by _ra_
The rationale of this system is completely beyond me, though. Why would you build an application to check the "availability" of award flights, if that "availability" has absolutely nothing to do with whether awards are actually available? ...
+1000.
Havent seen any explanation for this "strategy" beyond a bug.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by _ra_
The rationale of this system is completely beyond me, though. Why would you build an application to check the "availability" of award flights, if that "availability" has absolutely nothing to do with whether awards are actually available? Maybe an FTer with more insights into how airlines operate can explain?
I guess it does reflect the availability for the great unwashed pretty well. It just doesn't take one's status into account at all.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I guess it does reflect the availability for the great unwashed pretty well. It just doesn't take one's status into account at all.
BA has a solution for this: they allow their emeralds to book awards from certain revenue inventory classes also. Simple to implement.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Probably true. What I’m curious about is how they clear the waitlist then if no system takes status into account. Do they really have a person monitoring the list and clearing status members in minutes?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:21 am
Moderator, Finnair

From what CS reps says when you call in and is placed in waitlist I think there now is an automated system, but it used to be manually monitored.

Staff used to say "I will talk/send message/nudge the other department and see if they can release a seat". Now they say things like "I'll put you on waitlist and let's see what the machine does - oh dear, you are already cleared off of the wait list, I'll send you the reissued ticket".
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Staff used to say "I will talk/send message/nudge the other department and see if they can release a seat". Now they say things like "I'll put you on waitlist and let's see what the machine does - oh dear, you are already cleared off of the wait list, I'll send you the reissued ticket".
A recent experience on upgrading a HEL-LHR flight as AY+ Gold

- I made an update request on about T- 20 days and got waitlisted
- On T - 15 days I got an update on email that my request is still pending and that they'll check availability again on T - 5 days
- On T - 10 days I got a new upgraded ticket. Checking the seat map on finnair.com showed that about half of the A350's J seats were taken.

It seems to me that it is an automated process but the email has some misleading information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.