Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Old May 25, 2018, 7:35 am

I'm currently reading this on a Finnish fligt deal blog.

"Aiemmasta poiketen Puola, Baltian maat ja Pietari kuuluvat 4.6.2018 alkaen samaan vyöhykkeeseen kuin muut Euroopan maat, jonka seurauksena palkintolentojen pistehinta nousee matkustusluokasta riippuen 10 000 / 20 000 Finnair Plus -pisteellä"

Any confirmation on this?
Old May 25, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
It depends on how you interpret Finnair's press release. https://company.finnair.com/fi/media...ote?id=2933192

Kesäkuun 4. päivästä lähtien Finnair Plus -palkintolennot saa seuraavilla pistemäärillä:
  • economy-luokan lento kotimaassa tai Pohjoismaissa: 15 000 pistettä (aiemmin 20 000 pistettä)
  • economy-luokan lento muualle Eurooppaan, Dubaihin tai TelAviviin: 30 000 pistettä (aiemmin 40 000 pistettä)
  • economy-luokan lento Aasiaan tai Pohjois-Amerikkaan: 90 000 pistettä (aiemmin 125 000 pistettä).
Old May 25, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
For Jr members it's a mixed blessing - but Jr moving up the tiers, will collect upgrade vouchers, threshold awards, giveaway cards (looking at you, Sir Intuition) so on the balance the might even be better off.

Cheaper redemptions are welcome, though I'm still waiting for the new LH J rates. And still hoping for 50% rate for oneways.

The coming of family pooling is also OK.

I have to agree though, that these changes are more geared towards the 99%, but the 1% can also make use them
Let's assume I use one of the gold giveaways on Trav1970 Jr. There are four short haul vouchers that would come with that. A long haul J redemption would go from 100 000 to 150 000 points. I could of course get a long haul Y redemption for 90 000 points and use all four vouchers to upgrade one leg to business. I don't see how that is any kind of an improvement.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The other way round - Jr proceeds to Gold to Plat to Lumo and reaps (or Dad reaps) the benefits so far denied to her.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Janica reported on Finnair.fi chat that long haul awards in J will be 161.000 (sic!) points.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Finnair has published the award charts and it looks like the reply I received from media desk had a typo. According to published award tickets in J to Asia & NA cost 160 000 points.

https://www.finnair.com/fi/fi/finnai.../award-flights

Last edited by miikkak; May 25, 2018 at 4:05 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by miikkak
Finnair has published the award charts and it looks like the reply I received from media desk had a typo. According to published award tickets in J to Asia & NA cost 160 000 points.

The more interesting thing on that page is this:

I'm sure it's a typo though... Domestic J!
Old May 25, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

Still a very decent 20% decrease compared to current rate. In other words, for the same amount what you paid before for an LH C award, now you get an extra SH Y with some points left over for a SH upgrade. Neat.

Originally Posted by cistavoda
I'm sure it's a typo though... Domestic J!
Maybe, maybe not. If you look at the charts, the pre-June one has domestic J dotted out, but post-June chart is what you posted with redemption levels. So HEL-TKU in J might be coming (?)

Speaking of which - I flew recentlyMH domestic J MYY-KCH. 50 min flight, but full service, though the meal was not "main dish" but "hot savouries", in fact very nice hot appetizers "fresh" from the oven (quiche, spring roll, etc) with the FA assuring us "there's more in the oven" As witnessed also with TK, J service on short hops is clearly doable.
cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; May 25, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Have you noticed how stark the business of recycling is on AY versus TK (or e.g any of the US carriers)? This may lead to perceived slowed down service.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold

Also confirmed here is the fact that the area of Northern Europe won't be changing: it still includes Warsaw, for instance.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
So, if AY redefined Northern Europe as far as awards are concerned, does it also mean that earnings are redefined? 2000 points for HEL-WAW in Value?
Old May 31, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by ffay005
So, if AY redefined Northern Europe as far as awards are concerned, does it also mean that earnings are redefined? 2000 points for HEL-WAW in Value?
I suppose if the region was redefined, then earnings would also change. Luckily, as confirmed above, nothing has changed.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I would not count on their webpage, it is notorious for wrong or obsolete info. What counts is what you get when you book.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by casper79
So some calculation is needed and perhaps it make sense to spread the flying more. Use Finnair to Asia to keep platinum and then get gold on some Star Alliance on US flights...
After considerations the deal is not the worse that could happen.

Getting star alliance gold would be little value.
- The number of star alliance flights currently are very limited and always short haul (2017: 3) and professional, then lounge is not really important.
- Switching a few long hauls might get me just get me star alliance gold and just make me AY platinum - or I just might miss both.
- points accumulation would slow down and redemption thus also

so I'll stick OW
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:50 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Did anyone's junior reach a Finnair tier yet?
It seems a junior getting gold tier gifted
a) does not get vouchers
b) has points expiring reset, ie not protected until 18 birthday

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.