Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:46 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
First, everyone should realise that some people working in a certain airline's loyalty department are reading this forum daily. Saying things like "the program is too good" or "revenue based is coming" is not entirely the smartest thing to do. Remember also that FT'ers are a miniscule part of the memberbase. And people flying DY HEL- stockholm just to fly AY back to HEL via PRG is a miniscule part of that tiny part of the member base

Secondly, Norwegian reward is not at all money-based. Sure, they do have a discount system where your spend earns towards future discounts. But their loyalty system is entirely segment based. I can earn "status" in their system for 121€. How is that for insane? But does it crate loyalty? As someone who earned lvl 4 in DY Reward I can say it is pretty pointless. Not only flaws in how the perks work, but also the fact that none of their perks can outweigh constant delays and parking at the "wrong" terminal and using buses even when gates are available.
(Typical example of DY delay is when there schedule don't take into account that staff coming from Ex-schengen need to clear immigration, so suddenly captain has to walk from one terminal to another to show passport. )
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition
First, everyone should realise that some people working in a certain airline's loyalty department are reading this forum daily. Saying things like "the program is too good" or "revenue based is coming" is not entirely the smartest thing to do. Remember also that FT'ers are a miniscule part of the memberbase. And people flying DY HEL- stockholm just to fly AY back to HEL via PRG is a miniscule part of that tiny part of the member base
You really think those who working for airline loyalty dont know about sickness of current system?

They are going to fix it, no matter what we write here.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:21 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I honestly don't see it as any sickness. There are marginal issues in any rule based system.
A very small part of the member base lives entirely in this margin. At the same time the program most probably delivers on the goals set up. By making a small issue into a problem that must be fixed can actually jeopardize the major goals of the program.

I've run multiple loyalty programs over the years and from experience I can say that even minor tweakings can have major unwanted effects.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:02 am
Moderator, Finnair

If you shift how the loyalty tiers are earned, you shift the focus and the memberbase of the program. The question is if that will help AY earn more money.

Which tickets would earn most "loylaty-points" in the system suggested above? Longhaul from HEL and shorthaul business class. So you will tilt the AY+ member base to be dominated by this geography/demography.
But Finns are already loyal to AY. Why do you think a longhaul ticket ex-HEL cost 4000€? Because the local market accepts it. So what good does it do to have all your high tier members in HEL area? The catchment area for HEL is maybe 1 million people. Are there enough Nyland people for Finnair to live on?

Contries/marketing areas where purchasing power is lower than in Finland has "cheaper" tickets (PPP) and thus would have fewer tier members. You can't sell 4000€ tickets in Hungary for instance, so very few people there will climb the tiers. Won't the program fail to offer incentive in low PPP areas, where people also have a lot of choices besides an obscure airline from some snowy country?

And why should the thousands and thousands of salarymen flying daily/weekly between STO and HEL in the back of the bus stick with AY that no longer rewards their loyalty, because they "only" spend 69€ on the ticket? D8/DY will be laughing all the way to the bank, when they sell 59€ tickets and get 100% loadfactor.

My take, without knowing the specific numbers, is that such changes won't benefit AY.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by reflektia
It would be splendid, but I don't think it would be feasible. Are there any OW carriers that allow upgrading other OW carriers' flights?

Best enhancement for me would be lifetime platinum after 10 years of status
There are no airlines in Oneworld offering this. Only example of this is the Star Alliance upgrades, which are more theoretical than practical.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by kauppias
<br />Hard to imagine alot of Plats surviving in a revenue model, AY plus is not that rewarding as it is... This is of course just my opinion then again were FB or M&amp;M either....
<br /><br />Not necessarily. Only M&amp;M award miles are revenue based. Status qualification is still based on the old system.<br /><br />We might be wiser on Thursday. Two years ago the changes were announced during the first day of Matkamessut.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by miikkak
<br /><br />Not necessarily. Only M&amp;M award miles are revenue based. Status qualification is still based on the old system.<br /><br />We might be wiser on Thursday. Two years ago the changes were announced during the first day of Matkamessut.

👍 Time will show...
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
You dont have to re-login your AY+ account everytime you press " View all my bookings" ?
FFlash, Steve_Hun and jmmi like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:01 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There are no airlines in Oneworld offering this. Only example of this is the Star Alliance upgrades, which are more theoretical than practical.
Yes. Two years ago I answered a big OW survey, and this perk was one of those we were asked rate.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Aren't AA's SWU's alliance wide? Or what does "System-wide" actually mean?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
I believe this would be at least the addition of ”Lumo” tier as well as most probably Lifetime Silver, finally a LT status in my reach.
Or why not a LT Basic status. Oh, I think have earned that already. Still way to go to LT BA Gold.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Aren't AA's SWU's alliance wide? Or what does "System-wide" actually mean?
System Wide, means AA-System Wide. They don't even work for the the TPAC JV with JAL.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
You can upgrade BA and IB flights with AAdvantage miles.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by remymartin
You can upgrade BA and IB flights with AAdvantage miles.
I did not know that. But Y and B as applicable economy booking classes makes it close to the Star Alliance theoretical upgrade. Do you know what inventory it requires?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I did not know that. But Y and B as applicable economy booking classes makes it close to the Star Alliance theoretical upgrade. Do you know what inventory it requires?
Honestly, I've never tried on partner airlines. I find the co-pay a bit too rich for one way upgrades.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.