Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Scanned historical material available online

Scanned historical material available online

Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by nordic
... They flew with Embraer 145. A small but adequate plane.
Crossair was a big user of Saab aircraft. The nordic (pardon the pun) routes used their Saab 2000.

I am pretty sure AY (Kar-Air) has flown to Basel (or Basle in English) some time in the fifties or sixties for a short period (information could be found in the Finnair history but I don’t have any access now).
In those days, it was indeed Basle, as in French. But in the 1990s the city government decided to change the English name, and Basel it has been since (as in German).

Originally Posted by timol
...LX tried HEL already in ca 1999 ...
I stand corrected, 2001-2002. The timing for Crossair's HEL-BSL-HEL was a business traveller's dream (actually the employer's, not so much the traveller's): 06:45 from HEL, arriving well before the start of office hours. Back from BSL at 20:20, allowing a full day's work. And definitely no queues at HEL around 06:00.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Basle looks like Old French. The city is called Bâle in contemporary French.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:20 pm

I found this link on the Basel flights FINNAIR AND CROSSAIR CODE-SHARE TO BASEL (odd website for this piece of news).
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:36 pm

There is an interesting looking thesis (in Finnish) based on Aero’s annual reports in the 50’s and 60’s https://trepo.tuni.fi/bitstream/hand...=2&isAllowed=y.
The author wrote that Aero flew HEL-CPH-CGN-FRA-BSL in 1958 but Basel was soon replaced by GVA for a couple of years. In wikipedia there is a picture of Finnairs SuperCaravelle in Basel in the 70’s but I do not know why.

From page 102 onwards you’ll find AY’s foreign routes from 1950 to 1968. How about HEL-LUX-BCN-AGP or HEL-HAM-AMS-PAR or HEL-GOT-LON?

Last edited by nordic; Jul 28, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
I found this link on the Basel flights
A great find - of course it was the Embraer - I stand corrected!

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Basle looks like Old French. The city is called Bâle in contemporary French.
My bad again. I was thinking of the stickiness of the earlier pronunciation [ba:l] (French-like, if I may) and how it took years and years for BA's BSL crews to adapt to the new [ba:zl]. With the exception of the luckily very ones with [beizl]
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Courmisch
You could spot AZ at the jet bridge occasionally before the financial crisis. Not sure what the frequency nor route was.
Could it be that they had some charter flights? I'm still quite convinced that they have never had any scheduled service to HEL.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
To be honest at least one of the DL C/A had a 100 % Finnish name so she was an Finnish-American lady. I think there was a story of her in the AY+ magazine sent to all the members.
During the AY/DL codeshare years, DL had approximately 10 F/A's assigned as "DL Ambassadors" working onboard AY's HEL-JFK flights. These positions were rotated every six months or so and most of the DL Ambs were actually Finnish-born ladies who DL had inherited from Pan Am.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
Could it be that they had some charter flights? I'm still quite convinced that they have never had any scheduled service to HEL.
Me too. There are also very few photos of AZ planes at HEL in databases like airliners.net (the ones found are indeed charter flights, e.g. one carrying Gli Azzurri for their match against Huuhkajat in 2003). 😀
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: AY Platinum
In case of a sudden loss of cabin pressure...

SPBanker and miamiflyer8 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I would not want to be stuck in that 2-5-2 middle
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
But then again, that sardine layout has only 1 passenger per row 2 seats away from the aisle. The A350-900 sardine layout has 2 passengers per row 2 seats away from the aisle.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Wouldn't count as a preferred seat for various reasons. However, the way I remember it from my childhood, selling a DC-10 full wasn't particularly a priority and most of the time you ended up having several seats for yourself.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I would be happy to pay for a ticket on DC-10 middle seat or what ever seat. L-1011 same thing.
FFlash, loimu and miamiflyer8 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Came across this youtube video of the first TATL service today:

The special uniform ex AMS and the finnish blankets look interesting
Gnopps, ffay005 and FFlash like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Came across this youtube video of the first TATL service today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z587rJR8XnU

The special uniform ex AMS and the finnish blankets look interesting
Nice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.