Easternmost airport NRT
Southernmost airport MHC
Northernmost airport HEL
Shortest flight NZC-NZC
Longest flight LHR-SCL

Last edited by miikkak; Dec 28, 2017 at 10:16 am
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
Typical year for me... well maybe a little less than what I usually do (I had no flights in the first three months of the year).

30 segments, 75310 miles (~121000km) almost all in Y.

Northernmost KAO (Kuusamo)
Southernmost CHC (Christchurch)
Westernmost DEN (Denver)
Easternmost CHC

Average segment length: 2511mi

Shortest flights: STL-ORD (258mi), ORD-CVG (265mi) and HEL-KAO (415mi).
Longest flights: CHC-HKG (5858mi), HEL-SIN (5761mi) and MIA-HEL (5184mi).

The top transit airport was ORD, where I connected 8 times. Thank god for the new transit shuttle they have there from domestic to the international terminal...
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: AY+Plat
88657 km
31 flights
9 airlines:
Qatar - 12
Finnair - 5
Lufthansa - 4
Jet AIrways - 3
Air Berlin - 2
Aegean - 2
Etihad - 1
Bhutan Airlines - 1
Druk AIr - 1

North: HEL
South: MPM
West: BRU
East: PBH
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by FFlash
In honor of Finland 100 years I clocked exactly 100 flights in 2017

56 AY,, 152354 kms, platinum renewed, so it paid off to fly J out of own pocket while I did not have energy anymore to run by segments like previous years.
SK, TK and some others rest of legs. Bought SK*G previously and will requalify or even get SK Diamond in best case.
TK Elite plus renewal in target for 2018 maybe...

Kind of boring year, no special new news. Had even my first ever First ticket (LH award) booked but had to cancel it

Northest: KEM
Westernmost: SCL
Southest: CCP
Easternmost: LED

New airport: MHQ
New airline: H2, dirt cheap and best of my LCC experience so far
New lounges: LATAM at GRU and SCL, not bad! Also the new Star*G at GRU was nice

EDIT: (adding other cards just or fun)
Amex: Gold cancelled, will try later the plat if bonus offer still up
Plussa black, racking up nice AY pts
S-green, sure every Finn has it
Hilton Gold renewed by stays
IHG Spire renewed by points
Scandic 3rd floor from cereal pack->2nd floor
Nordic Choice platinum from match package -> basement (only 4 stays but fabulous upgrades)
Club Carlson Gold->Silver (stopped using it once they enhanced away the 2-4-1 benefit)
Gotta make an important addition here:
Stockmann Exclusive->First. In equality, wife did some more mass-shopping runs at Stockmann while I was mileage running. Oh well, now at least I can utilize another (new for me) black card benefit, i.e. another First lounge at Helsinki Stockmann so win-win
cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
EDIT: (adding other cards just or fun)
Amex: Gold cancelled, will try later the plat if bonus offer still up
Plussa black, racking up nice AY pts
S-green, sure every Finn has it
Hilton Gold renewed by stays
IHG Spire renewed by points
Scandic 3rd floor from cereal pack->2nd floor
Nordic Choice platinum from match package -> basement (only 4 stays but fabulous upgrades)
Club Carlson Gold->Silver (stopped using it once they enhanced away the 2-4-1 benefit)
Didn't see that addendum until now, here is my list and comments!

Hehe, how the card matches bring out the worst in me so apologies in advance for being a bad person and a hypocrite (You'll soon understand what I mean!)

Hotels

Scandic 3rd floor, also from cereal pack. One stay, but majorly disappointed with the status recognition (absolutely none besides restaurant voucher). So didn't book again and I assume will be 2nd floor from january.

1865 Voyager (Langham hotels, highest non-invite level). Initially got the card as complimentary and complementary to a credit card. This year I renewed for second time by stays, with a suite voucher as bonus. I am not much for luxury hotels, and some of these properties are rather snotty. Program is quirky and they are very stingy with the upgrades, despite them being officilly in the program terms! Some properties are very nice to me though, so I am undecided if I'll stay with the program after 2018.

Club Carlson Silver Elite
Was Gold as shareholders perk but I sold the shares a long time ago and 0 stays 2017.
As the share fell to a new low I actually bought some shares again, but haven't asked yet to be comped to Gold. Will wait and see if I need it. IIRC I got no upgrades as Gold in the past, so it isn't that valuable to me.

Hilton Member
1 stay, but as it was booked via 3.rd party no earnings. Free wifi was the major benefit for me anyway (as I stayed in China)
I did apply for the challenge and was Gold for a few months but didn't add any stays. This was because I was aiming for plat, and when they only offer gold challenge, it was of no interest. I have actually very little interest in Hilton status beyond member, see next section for more on this...

Nordic choice Gold, with co-branded mastercard
While initially a match in 2016, I renewed Gold by points (from a combination of stays and spend). I shamefully admit I was slightly happy to see @FFlash not getting soft landing from comped plat
I was really interested in NC plat level when they offered matches earlier this year but had nothing to match with. I was planning to do 8 Hilton stays in order to get their plat just to match it to Nordic choice. But that and all other ideas failed and I was grumpily watching a lot of people waltzing around with matched plats. From cards they didn't earn in the first place!

IHG
Elite Hotels
One stay each and opened accounts for that. But there is nothing there for me.

Credit cards
Amex Gold Cancelled
Jumped on Amex for first time in my life. Some things about it is awkward to me (not accepted everywhere, not really a credit card) but limitless spend and free extra cards without credit checkup was good for me. But ended up not using it very often and cancelled after 9 months. Moved 150k points into AY+.
Will in the future consider the SK branded Amex cards if I need *A status (as they offer points that counts towards EB status points)

Coop Medmera Mer mastercard
I never really liked Coop stores, but someone nagged me about it and I applied this fall. 0% forex addon, and 2 free cards (first year) that earns points to one account are good things, I kind of missed the party though, they have lowered many of the exchange rates during the year, but it does offer 2-6% cashback if shopping coop. There are some partners with decent exchange value and/or earnings too.

Santander Mitt kort mastercard

Free of charge and 0% forex addon is the upside, but nothing else. This card is dormant.

Airline card/status
Norwegian reward lvl 4, co-branded Bank Norwegian Visa
Visa free of charge and cashback that can only be redeemed against DY flights is the upside. Previously very complicated, where you could not redeem for anyone else but yourself (even when on same ticket) but now there is a decent family program.
Earned status during 2017, but status can only be used during the booking process of new tickets and can't be shared with others on the same ticket so it is rather limited. Also I am sick of delays on the domestic flights and their ludicrous gate management (park at one gate but board/deplane at another gate so you need to take bus between gates!) so I am avoiding DY as much as I can for now.

Aegean *A Gold

Renewed by flying a lot of SK J class. Contemplating to drop the program and move to EB with Amex card because of very little flights planned for 2018

Last edited by intuition; Dec 29, 2017 at 5:35 am
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:17 am

Not so many flights for me, but I compensated in distance.
63 segments
207765 km

Longest DFW-NRT, 10316 km, 13:19
Shortest PUS-FUK, 224 km, 00:46

Northernmost HEL
Southernmost SIN
Westernmost DFW
Easternmost NRT

Cards for fun:
IHG platinum (first time I got above start level)
SPG Gold (really hard to get nights, too little hotels)
Marriott Gold (ditto, comped from SPG)
NH Gold (these come without even trying)
Accor Silver (not even trying)
Club Carlson Silver (I don't know why I got this).

Got also some new strange small airports, like KCZ, CZM, MMB and IZO.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
33 segments (31 Y, 2 J)
89,467 km
10 carriers: AY, AA, N7, BA, QR, D8, DY, 0B, AC, LX
20 airports, 16 countries
Northernmost airport: HEL
Southernmost: EZE
Westernmost: SFO
Easternmost: DOH
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:07 pm
R2

I don't keep a log so don't have detailed information and couldn't be bothered digging out data from ff accounts. Normal year, some 60 segments approx 200k kms, mostly LH and mostly in J. No flights in May-Aug as I like to spend my summers in Finland.

One personal record, which I thought the other crazies around here might find interesting:

Longest trip without stopover (i.e break of journey >24h): HEL-HKG-MEL-AKL-HKG-DPS 30445kms
SPBanker, Steve_Hun and jmmi like this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Been watching but mostly benefiting from the forum for more than 3 years, what a great bunch you guys.

61 Flights (probably over 40 AY flights)
243012km, 6 times around earth
9 times 32B. 6 times 320
Earliest Flight: AA66 Latest Flight BA6030
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:38 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Clydez
Been watching but mostly benefiting from the forum for more than 3 years, what a great bunch you guys.

61 Flights (probably over 40 AY flights)
243012km, 6 times around earth
9 times 32B. 6 times 320
Earliest Flight: AA66 Latest Flight BA6030
Welcome to the FT and AY+ Forum! That's a lot of flying...
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I'm to lazy to compile anything interesting... A bunch of AY miles that will let me renew Platsku, some 10k AA miles and a bunch of random HHonors points. Almost no AmEx MR points last year since I switched to AY MC in January 2017.

Airports in 2017: SCL, EZE, MIA, HEL, ARN, LPA, SID, RAI, LHR, SPU, MAD, PRG, SIN, NAN, TBU, SUV, JFK, LGA, DTW, TSE, OSL, SFO, TXL, DOH, MEL, ORN. I now realize I visited all six continents, Antarctica excluded, in 2017. That's a first for me within a calendar year.

Approx. 50 flights.
SPBanker, remymartin and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:10 am

First message after about a year of lurking around

87 flights in total.
6 with Norwegian.
81 in AY and out of those 75 domestic.

So not too much points for me But still keeping platinum..
SPBanker and remymartin like this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:34 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by whaaaat
First message after about a year of lurking around

87 flights in total.
6 with Norwegian.
81 in AY and out of those 75 domestic.

So not too much points for me But still keeping platinum..
Welcome to the FT and AY+ Forum! Lots of domestic flights.... Which is your most often used route?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by SPBanker
Welcome to the FT and AY+ Forum! Lots of domestic flights.... Which is your most often used route?
Thanks!

Only KUO-HEL for work.. International flights are all vacation trips; next up Beijing tomorrow
SPBanker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.