Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade offer... on a economy-only plane?

Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, Silver

Been a while since I flew with Finnair. While I still enjoy their overall service, one thing made me scratch my head.
A few days ago I was offered an upgrade to business on AY959 HEL-CPH for 82 euro. I never upgrade on short trips, so I declined the offer, and apparently that was a good choice!

AY959 is operated by JetTime, using a cramped one-class 737.

​​​​I am pretty sure this is a normal procedure, as JetTime is also used by some other companies such as BA for CPH flights. But then I wonder why they would offer an upgrade. I am sure I would get the money back. It just strikes me as odd.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Marc Liljeqvist
Been a while since I flew with Finnair. While I still enjoy their overall service, one thing made me scratch my head.
A few days ago I was offered an upgrade to business on AY959 HEL-CPH for 82 euro. I never upgrade on short trips, so I declined the offer, and apparently that was a good choice!

AY959 is operated by JetTime, using a cramped one-class 737.

​​​​I am pretty sure this is a normal procedure, as JetTime is also used by some other companies such as BA for CPH flights. But then I wonder why they would offer an upgrade. I am sure I would get the money back. It just strikes me as odd.

All AY flights to CPH offer "J" service so there should be J on jet time operated ones too. i did not know Jet time flew 737# for them??

even AYs own aircraft offer only economy seats on short haul with middle blocked so rsrely worth it on short flights IMO!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It seems Jettime is flying a few rotations for AY, probably to cover for machines grounded for some reason.

AY959 is not normally operated by JT, AFAIK it has happened on two occasions; wednesday and thursday this week. The same machine has done a few rotations to PRG and GOT in december, nothing before.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Actually, AY yesterday announced B737 is filling in for period 2017-12-04--2017-12-23
https://www.finnair.com/fi/se/flightinfo
Attached Images  
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by intuition
Actually, AY yesterday announced B737 is filling in for period 2017-12-04--2017-12-23
https://www.finnair.com/fi/se/flightinfo
So "J" would still be offered on these flights normally as per the notice right?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

That is my reading. I assume they will cater J food and keep middle seats empty and call it J.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, Silver
I saw no free middle seats in front of the plane, which for me seemed like an indication that there was no J-product onboard. There was also no boarding procedure, as everyone was just asked to board at the same time.

Cannot say it was a pleasant flight. While it was JT's newer 737-700, the cabin itself was a huge downgrade from AY standards. Seats were dirty and hard, legroom was non-existent. The overhead space seemed limited as the flight had to be delayed due to the fact that people were still standing in the aisle with their strollers (*sigh*) as we were supposed to push back.
The meal/drink service stopped almost halfway down the cabin, with passengers on the last rows complaining about not getting any coffee as we were 10 mins from landing in CPH.

Overall, it just seemed badly organized for an AY flight.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I was in JT-operated AY´s J class. Middle seat empty, no cabin divider, AY's J service. Quite a cramped experience...
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Were you able to see any J catering in the front (or lack of it)? Interesting if they indeed are only offering Y, as they still sell the J class. It they at least do J catering there is a thread of truth to selling J.

The rest of the description sounds just like JT, I've had the "pleasure" of flying BA op by JT CPH-HEL. Seats hard and short, painful after 5 minutes sitting. And not able to serve the entire cabin on that flight either.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
It didn't seem any different compared to AY's standard J service from the perspective of catering. Even 3 Fazer chocolates were delivered as a dessert.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Totally worth the 600€ price tag then!! :-D

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.