Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not attending flight back

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Not attending flight back

I used the search but couldn't find anything about this.. does anybody know, how Finnair handles a roundway ticket, if you don't use the 2nd flight / return flight?
Because a roundway ticket is "nearly" half price of a actual one way ticket, so it would make sense to book this and not attend the flight back.. I don't think Finnair would like that kind of manoeuvre

thx in advance!
cheers Mika
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
If it doesn't become your pattern, they cannot do pretty much anything. You can even ask for airport taxes refund for your inbound trip. Once in a while, each of us misses their flight. It happens, plans change. If it would be your usual behavior, they could e.g. terminate your AY+ account.
M1ka likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Makes sense, thank you
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Did it once, though not intentionally. Bought a non-refundable flight to Brussels, plans changed and had to return about 14-15 hours earlier and bought a one way SAS flight. Even checked in online for AY flight and used BP for lounge as I did not have *G at that time. Upon arrival at HEL informed AY that I already arrived here and they don't need to wait for me in BRU. About a week later received a paper informing about tax refund but handling charge was more than refund, hence 0 EUR refund was issued (didn't have to pay the balance).
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by M1ka
I used the search but couldn't find anything about this.. does anybody know, how Finnair handles a roundway ticket, if you don't use the 2nd flight / return flight?
They send the mob after you and put in the Finnair jail somewhere near Kajaani.

Seriously, what do they think they can do? Finnair will just cancel any unused portion of your ticket.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Seriously, what do they think they can do?
I don't think the OP's question is unfounded. AY probably has in their T&C a paragraph that, at least theoretically, entitles them to charge you the true price of the ticket. So if a one-way is €500 and a roundtrip is €300, by discarding the inbound portion you would technically give AY permission to charge your credit card to reflect the price of the ticket that you actually ended up using, ie an extra €200 in this example. Discussion here confirms that they don't do it in practice, which is good to know.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
T&C is one thing, being legal/enforcable is another. Cheap, no-chng ticket, got struck in the traffic (or any other reason), missed the flight, nothing to do.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by ffay005
I don't think the OP's question is unfounded.
It makes sense to check as a Finnair Plus member. I specifically did it when a surprise bisnetic trip was appended to a mass tourism trip of mine, and I boarded the outbound knowing I would ditch the return. I could not find any provision in the T&C, unlike in AAdvantage's.

But as a non-AY+ customer, I don't really see what Finnair could do if they wanted.

AY probably has in their T&C a paragraph that, at least theoretically, entitles them to charge you the true price of the ticket.
There are no ways for them to charge that. They don't reserve the amount on the credit card transaction - not to speak of people purchasing through TAs or paying with wire transfer.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: AY LUMO
I don't think the OP's question is unfounded. AY probably has in their T&C a paragraph that, at least theoretically, entitles them to charge you the true price of the ticket. So if a one-way is €500 and a roundtrip is €300, by discarding the inbound portion you would technically give AY permission to charge your credit card to reflect the price of the ticket that you actually ended up using, ie an extra €200 in this example. Discussion here confirms that they don't do it in practice, which is good to know.
A true price of the ticket? What is that.
True price is what you pay for a ticket. One way ticket is one way ticket and return is return. It's not airlines business to make decisions how you travel, when, how and why.

And all this discussion is höpöhöpö. A real FT'er uses all segments and of course buys tickets clever so all legs can be used.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
And all this discussion is höpöhöpö. A real FT'er uses all segments and of course buys tickets clever so all legs can be used.
On general principle you're of course correct, but there are situation when it doesn't work that way and dirty cash considerations ruin it.

Consider: had to get to BUD, one-way (U-turn at the gate, start Asia run...)* 700€ for HEL-BUD in Y? Ouch, no thanks. Letäs take a look at open jaws - vow, there's some campaign fare from CPH, let's do it. Price drops to 150€ or so. Would I spend any time and money to work my way to CPH, just to fly the last leg for 500 points? No.

* it doesn't always work out so neatly as it did last month - HEL-BUD was last leg of ICN trip, turn around and start BKK trip
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
open jaws - vow, there's some campaign fare from CPH, let's do it. Price drops to 150€ or so. Would I spend any time and money to work my way to CPH, just to fly the last leg for 500 points? No.
No no. You take something nice from CPH of course like CPH-LHR-HEL or CPH-HEL-PRG-HEL or CPH-JFK-HEL-CPH or CPH-DEL-HEL.-PRG/BUD or what ever so Your daily balance is more than that useless 500 points only HEL-CPH.

I have several ARN-HEL (313 points, W) waiting in upcoming spring. One and nice way to handle those is HEL-LHR-HEL-ARN.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You got me wrong. I had CPH-HEL (so it was HEL-BUD//CPH-HEL), but there was no way of me using any time and money to get from HEL to CPH just to fly the open jaw's last leg, ie CPH-HEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.