Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

LHR-HEL-SGN time change = 1hr connection. Rights if missed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Morning,

Finnair has changed the HEL-SGN flight time, giving me just 1hr to connect after LHR-HEL. I know it's quite possible at Helsinki, but having 25 minutes removed from that connection makes it tighter than I would like.

My main question is thus: if the LHR-HEL flight is delayed and I miss the HEL-SGN flight as a result, what are my rights? It's all on one ticket, booked direct with AY. I would accept re-routing in same cabin via HKG or similar (which could happen later on the same day with CX) as the next direct AY flight to SGN is a whole day later - the latter which I'd be upset to have to accept.

Thanks for any advice. I suspect, pending prompt arrival, that everything will be fine - I was at Helsinki airport last month, so it's fresh in the mind. It's just good to have a fallback plan.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Basically you should be fine. If you misconnect, don't accept being put on the next day's service, insist on a reroute via BKK or HKG (or suboptimally via SIN) These are all night services, leaving well after the SGN one. I'd go for via BKK, 'cause it's such a short hop from there to SGN.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:44 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Morning,

Finnair has changed the HEL-SGN flight time, giving me just 1hr to connect after LHR-HEL. I know it's quite possible at Helsinki, but having 25 minutes removed from that connection makes it tighter than I would like.

My main question is thus: if the LHR-HEL flight is delayed and I miss the HEL-SGN flight as a result, what are my rights? It's all on one ticket, booked direct with AY. I would accept re-routing in same cabin via HKG or similar (which could happen later on the same day with CX) as the next direct AY flight to SGN is a whole day later - the latter which I'd be upset to have to accept.

Thanks for any advice. I suspect, pending prompt arrival, that everything will be fine - I was at Helsinki airport last month, so it's fresh in the mind. It's just good to have a fallback plan.
1 hour is luxury for non-Schengen connections arriving from London. Just walk to departure gate, no security to clear. I have been doing 40 minute connections (the official MCT even shortened by 15 minute or so delays) from gate 52 to gate 14 (through immigration) but that has required running and carry on luggage only.
remymartin and NoWindowSeat like this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by TTL
1 hour is luxury for non-Schengen connections arriving from London. Just walk to departure gate, no security to clear. I have been doing 40 minute connections (the official MCT even shortened by 15 minute or so delays) from gate 52 to gate 14 (through immigration) but that has required running and carry on luggage only.
Indeed. You'll have a good 15 minutes in the Premium lounge, too. Perhaps not enough for a sauna, but surely a few rounds of drinks. Enjoy!
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: Hotels.com Gold, BA Exec, 1M Green Sheild Stamps
I am on the LHR-HEL-SGN route and have been watching the arrival time of AY1332 into HEL with great interest over the past few weeks.

Fingers crossed all should be ok.

I do however have another connection later that day SGN-DAD giving me an extra set of nerves

The later flights over to HKG or indeed BKK look promising to get to DAD if it all goes the way of the pear.

Does AY's responsibility end at HKG/BKK if connection was missed, or would they help connecting through to DAD?

Last edited by DanAirLondon; Nov 24, 2017 at 8:01 am
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Finnair should and will take responsibility for all flights on one ticket. Anything outside that ticket will be heartily ignored...
DanAirLondon likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Finnair should and will take responsibility for all flights on one ticket. Anything outside that ticket will be heartily ignored...
I thought so, thanks very much
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by intuition
Exactly - they'll make sure you get to SGN, but nothing about DAD. If you are rerouted via HKG or BKK you can jump ship if you want and connect to DAD from there, but that's up to you and out of your own pocket.
DanAirLondon likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your misconnect will be covered by EC 261/2004 and that is calculated based on the arrival delay and distance for the ticket, not the delayed segment. Thus, if you misconnect at HEL, the compensation will be EUR 300 at 3 hours and EUR 600 at 4 hours.

Additionally, before accepting a rebooking, check whether it is cheaper to purchase a new ticket. While not generally the case, it is sometimes cheaper. If so, the Regulation gives you a cancellation option and you may avail yourself of that for a full refund.

The SGN-DAD segment coverage will be governed by whether it is a segment on the original LHR-HEL ticket or a separate ticket. If the latter, that will be at your (or your travel delay insurance) expense.
DanAirLondon likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:52 am

Thank you.

SGN-DAD is a separate ticket, and have purchased a decent travel insurance policy

Just to add - I am booked in J LHR-HEL-SGN. I did a test booking for HEL-BKK it would appear J is sold out but availability in Y - what would AY do in this circumstance for recompence?

Last edited by DanAirLondon; Nov 24, 2017 at 9:58 am
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by DanAirLondon
Just to add - I am booked in J LHR-HEL-SGN. I did a test booking for HEL-BKK it would appear J is sold out but availability in Y - what would AY do in this circumstance for recompence?
Probably they would find another routing that has availability in J. If they have no such options within a reasonable timeframe, they could always downgrade someone who has upgraded with points or vouchers.
DanAirLondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.