Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comparing AY to QR – who wins?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by SPBanker
I've never received longer than two-year visa, and I travel to Russia regularly..
Ask that your Russian host writes the invitation until 6 months before the passport expires. As soon as I got my passport, I sent the passport number to my host and received the invitation on same day by email. Then it was 10 days in consulate.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
So how's QR F vs QR C? Worth moving mountains to snatch an upgrade or just lean back and enjoy the C product? DOH-SYD is 14 hrs, so I wouldn't mind an op-up
At OLCI I'm offered a C->F upgrade at 1271€ for SYD-DOH. I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that. Fingers crossed for op-up
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:46 pm
R2

At OLCI I'm offered a C->F upgrade at 1271€ for SYD-DOH. I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that. Fingers crossed for op-up
I would take it. It's a long flight and if you drink just two bottles of Krug 2004, you will have already recovered almost half that cost
intuition and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:35 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yeah, i think they sometimes just offers an upgrade as the price difference between fares.
Opup can still happen, at the gate in DOH
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by R2
I would take it. It's a long flight and if you drink just two bottles of Krug 2004, you will have already recovered almost half that cost
OTOH the nearly 1300€ buys us nearly a week at the Singapore JW Marriott in a suite (with SNA included) so I'll just slum it out in C (btw - the Q-suite was just an amazing product, at least on par with the several F experiences I had on BA, LX & QF)
intuition and napapiiri like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by R2
Unless we're talking Jeroboam bottle size or Clos du Mesnil we're going to be pretty far from the target price!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
So I am standing at the J check in desk in MLE when I am approached by a QR rep. He apologized for my delayed bags on the inbound flight and offered me $75 cash compensation on the spot. My bag was only about 7 hours late and I only spent $15 extra because of it. I never complained or thought really much of it, but now I am quite impressed with QR’s proactive approach to customer service.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by napapiiri
, but now I am quite impressed with QR’s proactive approach to customer service.
That has never been their strong suite in the past so if that is SOP these days it is twice as impressive!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by napapiiri
So I am standing at the J check in desk in MLE when I am approached by a QR rep. He apologized for my delayed bags on the inbound flight and offered me $75 cash compensation on the spot. My bag was only about 7 hours late and I only spent $15 extra because of it. I never complained or thought really much of it, but now I am quite impressed with QR’s proactive approach to customer service.
This is a new thing... I've never had proactive apologies for things like all bags delayed for an hour in Tunis, flight delays or anything like that.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
Opup can still happen, at the gate in DOH
Yes, that lovely beep at the gate (in SYD) - “you have been upgraded to First, sir!” In two decades only the second time this has happened.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Enjoy!
Will be interesting to hear your verdict. Qsuites sets a high bar.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Lounge Key, Accor basic, AY basic, HHonors Diamond
Yes, that lovely beep at the gate (in SYD) - “you have been upgraded to First, sir!” In two decades only the second time this has happened.
Mrs. jp_fin and I got the same two years ago at SYD.

We were not very impressed. Krug, caviar and seat were good of course but their soft product in J is already awesome. Does not add much to travel F.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:54 am
R2

Originally Posted by jp_fin
not very impressed. Krug, caviar and seat were good of course but their soft product in J is already awesome. Does not add much to travel F.
Well, to say you're not impressed by QR First means you're hard to please or cynical. It lacks the privacy within the 8 seat cabin as the seat is not a suite...but it just offers so much more space than J. First class bathrooms that size you can only find on EK 380. And if you like great personalised service and wines, QR First is more than a notch above J. Walk to the bar through the A380 business class dormitory and all of a sudden the J seat looks just so small and mass travel.

The way you're thinking is exactly the logic QR management; offer a business class product so good (QSuites) you don't need to offer a First. But First is first, at least to the old-fashioned among us.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:46 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by R2
. Walk to the bar through the A380 business class dormitory and all of a sudden the J seat looks just so small and mass travel..
Exactly this.

Walking back to the bar makes you realise just how crowded J cabin is.

It is true that QR J is on a level above most J on others, it doesn't make F pointless. True, if you are used to AY J then QR J seems plenty.
But if you regularly fly QR you would probably use your hard earned points mostly on F upgrades.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Lounge Key, Accor basic, AY basic, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by R2
Well, to say you're not impressed by QR First means you're hard to please or cynical. It lacks the privacy within the 8 seat cabin as the seat is not a suite...but it just offers so much more space than J. First class bathrooms that size you can only find on EK 380. And if you like great personalised service and wines, QR First is more than a notch above J. Walk to the bar through the A380 business class dormitory and all of a sudden the J seat looks just so small and mass travel.

The way you're thinking is exactly the logic QR management; offer a business class product so good (QSuites) you don't need to offer a First. But First is first, at least to the old-fashioned among us.
I forgot the bathrooms, they are huge.

Don’t get me wrong, it is probably one of the best products out there. I just wouldn’t pay much extra over J.

We had better crew outbound in J, that also affects our opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.