Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Plus Miles when flying JAL Domestic ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Finnair Plus

Hi,

recently I became a Finnair Plus member as I felt this is the best match for me. I fly from Japan to Europe 4 to 5 times a year and take Finnair every time. I also fly quite much Domestic (2 to 4 times a month) within Japan with Jal who are also OneWorld. The thing is that the Domestic Flights in combination with the Intercontinental ones could easily take me to Platinum Status which would be nice but I saw on Finnairs website that some booking classes seem to be excluded on JAL Domestic. It only says J,Y,A and I and nothing else.

When contacting Finnair I got mixed answers. On the phone they told me that any JAL Domestic flight is counting towards my Tier status but by mail they told me only these 4 booking classes mentioned above. When taking the cheapest option with JAL Domestic I pay for example for my most flown route KIX-HND-KIX about 200 USD. J,Y,A or I are always about 350 in total. However, since its a quite easy way for me to get to Platinum I thought I give it a try but I was wondering if anyone knows about this. Finnair seems not to be able to give a clear answer on that and when booking JAL Domestic online you never see the booking class, I have to call them for that which is a bit annoying.

Any tipps are appreciated.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The earning of JL flights on AY+ is slightly tricky. I believe that JL has one internal set of booking codes and another set of codes that is reported to oneworld airlines.

For example, AYplus program lists {E,F,J,Y,A,I} as the only codes that earns on domestic flights. But below is a ticket with class H and it earned perfectly fine on AY+.

You might want to search or ask about this over at the JL-forum, I think someone there knows about the inner workings of JAL fare classes.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your answer. What do you mean in detail by tricky ? Funny thing is that as I said, Finnair says on the phone that all flights are earning but today I got an answer form them that its only J,Y,A and I.

You say that its {E,F,J,Y,A,I} but on their website they only state J,Y,A and I or am i misunderstanding it ? I attached the screenshot from their website below that lead to make me believe so

PS: maybe stupid question but at the JAL board you think they know about what flights Finnair is accepting towards Tier Level ?
Attached Images  
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by subechin
PS: maybe stupid question but at the JAL board you think they know about what flights Finnair is accepting towards Tier Level ?
All point earning flights count towards status.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:55 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Tricky as in you cannot easily know in advance if a flight will earn or not, based on the information from Finnair and JAL.

Right there on your screenshot I can see E,F,J,Y,A,I are earning on domestic flights.

Naturally posters on JL board will know very little about AY program. But they may be able to explain how to find and read JL booking classes.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Oh yes, my bad. E and F too. JAL told me that they can tell me the booking class by phone but they could give me a clear answer on what fares (they have lots of names for there fares, like Tokubin etc) I can get the needed booking classes.

@intuition: Which is H class ? Where the rules different before ? Why is it not every flight, a bit confusing. Its not like JAL is cheap Domestic anyway.

PS: Booked my first JAL Domestic flight today since I am a AY+ for around 300 USD and Class is Y (called them).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:52 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by subechin
@intuition: Which is H class ? ...
In this case it was a Yokoso fare that booked into H which in the end earned. Fare is irrelevant. What matters is what booking class the airline is reporting to AY+ and that is where I think something odd is going on. But perhaps that is only when foreigner buy domestic fares.

But with so many domestic flights I suggest you just try. Buy what you normally buy and credit one domestic sector to Finnair and find out if it does indeed work or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.